New User
battery----
0 Kudos

HD battery life problem

I have a HDI upgraded from an colorWhen I first started using it I got up to 6 hours of use before it needed rechargingSomewhere in the last updates (2.05 or 2.06) I am now down to 2 hours max.    I takes forever to charge and then seems to rundown very quicklyI am only reading ebooksIt also is very unstable and will shut down sometime when I just tilt it 90 when it gets below 60% charge.    Anyone else having this battery problem with their HDAt this point I am ready to pitch the thing in the river.

Distinguished Scribe
NookGardener
0 Kudos

Re: HD battery life problem

No, that's not normal.  I can still get about 7 hours of heavy internet usage (12% per hour) before I feel compelled to recharge.  Have you tried:

1) Soft reset? (Hold the power button, and just keep on holding it when the popup message appears until the device turns off.) 

2) Have you tried locking the screen orientation? 

3) You haven't set up anything that might be trying to phone home? Like email?

Not sure what your definition of "forever" is but yes, the HD+ does take longer to fully charge than the NC.  It probably takes about 4-5 hours to recharge if I've gone down to 15%. 

Bibliophile
5ivedom

It's not normal, as Nook Gardener pointed out.

I've seen other users complain about battery life issues after V2.0.6. My Nook HD+ has gone from insanely good battery life to merely decent.

Not sure what was added in the udpate that would affect battery life. Perhaps just a bug that affects some people.

I have, however, seen 2 separate threads (apart from this one) and perhaps 4-5 affected people at least. So it's not a rare issue.

The instability thing is rare. But, again, I've seen at least one user mention random reboots after V2.0.6.

It must be something that's running in the background using WiFi and causing instability. Get the App Killer app from the store and see what apps are running.

Frequent Contributor
cindylee60
0 Kudos

Just so you know you're not alone, my battery life has also been terrible since the 2.06 update :smileysad:

New User
Serissa
0 Kudos

I noticed the problem with my Nook's battery life today too

Inspired Contributor
NightfallJC
0 Kudos

I have been noticing battery issue also. I read a book on the Overdrive app for about an hour and a half or so last night and the battery was at 86% from 100%, I'm assuming games drain it faster, it seems that way to me at least.

Bibliophile
5ivedom
0 Kudos

14% for a hour and a half of reading isn't bad.

That's roughly 10 hours of reading on one full charge.

Yes, games do use it up much faster.

For people who are seeing battery life issues it's much less than 10 hours of reading. At least that's my understanding given what people have shared. It has to be something running in the background or some wireless check running every 5 minutes or something.

A user on another thread mentioned that the Pulse App had changed to check every 5 minutes and he chagned it to every 1 hour to fix things.

Frequent Contributor
seacitylady
0 Kudos

I charged my both my NC & HD+ about 24 hours ago. Have not used either. Both had WiFi on. My HD+ is @ 55% & NC is @ 73%. This is a substantial difference since both are running the same apps. I don't use anything like Pulse that could drain the battery faster. I have seen my HD+ battery drain faster since the last upgrade. I get much less then 10 hour reading time on the HD+. If I use the Internet it seems to drain much faster then just reading. When I have a long flight I always take the NC because it seems to get much better battery life. Don't know what is draining the battery but should not be such a big difference between the two devices.

Bibliophile
5ivedom
0 Kudos

SeaCityLady thanks for the data points.

In the 4-5 months I've had HD and HD+ they always had much better battery life than Color and Tablet.

But after the update the HD+ has become less power efficient.

I need to do something like the test you did.

Do you think it's possible the 'Today' section is updating in the background?

Hard to say why HD+ would lose so much battery life in one day (45% is a lot) even without being used.

Wordsmith
PlanetGreen
0 Kudos

battery---- wrote:

I have a HDI upgraded from an colorWhen I first started using it I got up to 6 hours of use before it needed rechargingSomewhere in the last updates (2.05 or 2.06) I am now down to 2 hours max.    I takes forever to charge and then seems to rundown very quicklyI am only reading ebooks.  It also is very unstable and will shut down sometime when I just tilt it 90 when it gets below 60% charge.    Anyone else having this battery problem with their HDAt this point I am ready to pitch the thing in the river. (call 1 800 the book and use your warranty)

No apps or anything else on the device at all except for ebooks?

Check your storage (settings) for apps. Reset your device to factory defaults and do not install anything back except for a book, and see. Next, instead of pitching it in the river, exchange it, you've got a warranty.

It's a small world afterall except when your far away.
Distinguished Scribe
NookGardener

Hmm, maybe I am approaching it all wrong.  I always assume that its something I did thats causing a change (smiley)

So am seeing some lower battery life this week. Think it may be caused by some of the widgets (they came back with the latest update, right?) I only installed 1 - Flipboard. Default setting is to update every hour (which is far more than I need.) My bad, I should have checked that out. Will change and see how much that helps. 

5ivedom, have you installed any other widgets and looked at how they are behaving?

Bibliophile
5ivedom
0 Kudos

No, no widgets.

I looked at the HD+ yesterday and today and had to plug it back in. It's definitely using up battery life faster.

I think I'll buy the App Killer App and see if that shows something misbehaving.

New User
battery----
0 Kudos

I am the OP.  My battery problem seems to be getting worse.

When I am reading an ebook the power meter will suddenly drop from say 70% to 30%.  If I connect it to the charger the battery meter will read back at around 70% again.  If I don't connect it to the charger the battery will continue its fall and in a few minutes tell me I am out of power and to shut down.  When I do connect to a charger it sometime quickly recharges but other time takes many hours to return to full charge.  If I am using wifi or bluetooth this problem happens even faster.

MY nook HD is running version 2.0.6.  I have turned off *everything* I can find that could be using power.  I do not use wifi or bluetooth unless I need them and always completely shut down the HD when not in use.  I have done a soft reset several times.

Currently I am out of the US and will return soon. I will seek help from the store where I purchased the nook.  I will not pitch it in the river - that is just my feeling.

Bibliophile
5ivedom
0 Kudos

It sounds like your battery might be dying. You should be able to get a replacement at the store.

I've seen perhaps 2 other threads with similar issues. One was for Nook Color. Don't remember which Nook the second thread was about.

Very similar issues.

Inspired Contributor
NightfallJC
0 Kudos

I just found an App called "GSam Battery Monitor" on my Nook HD. There is a 4 day free trial, it breaks down all the battery usage.

New User
battery----

I turns out I did have a bad battery.  Showed it to the guy at the store.  I died as he was testing it.  It had taken to doing that lately.  They gave me a brand new HD and sent me on my way.

I hope that is the end of the story for me.

Thanks for the advice and comments - Doug

Bibliophile
5ivedom
0 Kudos

Best of luck with the new Nook HD Doug.

Good to hear they gave you a new one. Such a contrast between all the good customer service stories in stores and the bad ones for phone.

Correspondent
Wulfraed

battery---- wrote:

I turns out I did have a bad battery.  Showed it to the guy at the store.  I died as he was testing it.  It had taken to doing that lately.  They gave me a brand new HD and sent me on my way.

I hope that is the end of the story for me.

Thanks for the advice and comments - Doug

Apparently they have a good medical staff on hand to resuscitate :catvery-happy:

Something from the updated Nook book… If you go to Settings/Device Information and tap on the battery bar it will open a page showing the top power hogs since last boot (you can tap on the graph to enlarge it). Tapping on the hogs will give hints on power saving suggestions.

Baron Wulfraed
New User
battery----

I suppose a few details should be added to my story.

First, I had done a battery rundown test before I went to the store. From 100% I was down to 30% in less than 2 hours. Second, I reset the HD to factory setting – bare bones, no extra software added – and got pretty much the same results.

When I bought my Nook I decided to buy locally because I am often in the store – I tutor English there and I had gotten to know the sales guy. My first one I bought online.

I was luck that when the salesman was testing my HD if failed dramatically. As he was bring it back to full charge it simply died. It was easy for him to see the problem.

He called the main office and they oked a replacement and because they did not have a refurbished unit on hand they gave me a new on. My understanding is that they usually give you a refurb.

This experience had restored my faith in customer support.

Reader
penslnamia
0 Kudos

This is EXACTLY what mine is doing.  I get about 2 hours and then it's dead.  Sometimes I see the power bar has about 40% and about 10 minutes later it's at 3% and powers down.