New User
blackbetty722
0 Kudos

Re: HD battery life problem

Yes, I have the same ISSUE. It's to the point where I can't use it without it being plugged in.  It constantly shuts down in the middle of anything. I charge it fully and when I take it off, it shuts on/off until I plug it back in.  It's driving me nuts

New User
Marcia73
0 Kudos

I bought my Nook in June 2013 and am already having battery issues.  This started a week ago. The Nook needs to be charged every night.  Should I take it back to the store I bought from (Target) or?

BN_Andy
0 Kudos

Marcia, we're sorry that it seems like your device is discharging more rapidly than expected.  Try leaving it on and allow it to fully discharge. Then completely charge it and see how the battery responds. 

You could also try resetting the device back to Facory Settings. This will deregister your device, removing all digital books and files, including side-loaded content. The titles you have purchased will remain in your account.

NOTE: It is recommended that all side-loaded content you wish to save is backed up to an SD card or computer before proceeding.

To Hard Reset NOOK HD/NOOK HD+, complete the following:

1. Confirm the device is powered off.

2. Hold the Power and Home key simultaneously.

3. Release the Power and Home key once the NOOK logo appears.
A Factory Reset prompt will appear.

4.To continue, press the Home key.

5.To exit, press the Power key.

Reader 2
CherDP

Re: HD battery life problem - I suspect the Software V2.1.1 is the issue

Nook support,

My Nook HD is doing the same thing - AFTER the V2.1.1 SW update. Because I really like them, this is my THIRD Nook, the prior ones worked and stored battery life pretty normal, but this is crazy. So, I'm not a newbie to this.

Before the SW update, it worked fine and I got 2-4-days battery life from it. I love, love love the Nook, but I swear if this isn't resolved it will be my last one and I'll go to iPad mini, a more stable platform (I know bc I also own an iPhone & iPad.)

To fix this, I have shut down 90% of the silly apps, and would like to remove the crap ones; i.e.; Google+, Google Maps, B&N forced onto my Nook in one of the past upgrades, (thanks a lot); I have done both a soft & hard boot of the Nook several times, tried to reload the 2.1.1 SW update, turned off the WiFi when not in use and am now out of ideas.

Tech help pls - the battery shows "Table idle" 96% use" I know that isn't right, How do I eliminate that? I think then my battery life would be longer than a gnats or < 3-hours. Also, as I brace for the "deregister & re-register' instructions, how do I save my favorites from the store and my shelves? I have over 1200 books, and hate to 're-customize' EVERY time I upgrade or have a tech problem. Hint: I have favorites to eventually BUY, from a marketing view, this is a huge consumer downer.

Thank you.

Frequent Contributor
Bluepen61
0 Kudos

Re: HD battery life problem - I suspect the Software V2.1.1 is the issue

My Nook HD 8GB battery life is much improved after the v2.1.1 update, and with no tweaking of apps. Maybe I have the wrong apps installed....

Not all who wander are lost. ---J. R. R. Tolkien
Nook HD 8 GB, Stock Root and Other Mods
Reader 2
megomendy
0 Kudos

This is what my Nook HD is doing! Did you have any luck fixing yours?

Reader
Penny1940
0 Kudos

What I am reading here seems similar, but not exactly the same problem I have. I have a Nook Color HD+. It was a year old the end of December 2013. I started having serious problems early Jan.2014. Of course, the warranty is out!

My Nook will quit working and display the "critical battery" warning. I cannot continue reading. It just has a black screen with the battery warning display. Sometimes it will completely shut down before I can plug it in.

But, the strange thing is, if I check the battery level after I plug it in (right after getting the critical battery message) I can have anywhere from 45 to 65% battery charge!

Just in the last few days it has been shutting down without any warning. I can turn it back on and it will work OK but I never know when it will shut down again, or have a battery issue.

I have contacted BN several times. Of course, on my first contact, just 2 weeks out of warranty they refused to offer any help beyond telling me to re-register the Nook. I did but it made no difference. The techs act like they are not aware of any general problem! The last tech I talked to AFTER explaining the problem clearly (I thought) he told me I should let the Nook battery run comletely down. Now DUH!, how can I run it down. It shuts off at 45-65% battery life. You have no choice but to recharge. And sometimes, with about 60%, it can be on charge for hours and never show a green "completed" light.

I am so frustrated, Has anyone had any luck with replacing the battery? Does that solve the problem? It really seems to be more of a program problem. But I'm not a tech. Any help, even from BN, would be greatly appreciated.

New User
sophiamm121
0 Kudos

This is the exact problem I have been having. My NOOK lasts maybe a half hour on full charge before I get the critical battery message and have to plug it back in, or the screen goes black and I can't turn it back on. Is this a battery or system problem?

New User
CSD42419
0 Kudos

I am having the same issue as stated above. I go this nook HD+ from uncle as a gift but it is acting wierd on the battery status. As soon as i reach 61% of the battery it suddenly shows me critical battery alert with 1% remaining & when i plug the connector back it says battery charing & the % of battery is 65%. This is something serious issue that B&N should look into it. Though i got the device recently i cannot go for replacement since i am in India. I was under the assumption that all products made in US are far better than anything in the world. But this is a terrible experince & i would never think of getting anything from outside country in future.

New User
blackbetty722
0 Kudos

Mine as well. This seems to be an ongoing issue that they won't fix! You just have to take it to a B&N store to determine if it's the battery or the charger.  My HD+ didn't work unless it's plugged in and recently it doesn't come on at all.  The charge makes a squeaky noise.  It's been a disaster.

Contributor
SamZzz

Mine has been doing the same thing for about a month and a half.  I took hopped in the car with it last Friday and drove it the 40 miles to the nearest B&N store to see what was up.

I got there right at shift change apparently because the guy I was talking to first (had to have someone paged to the Nook desk) had to leave before they could finish examining my device.  He told me he'd seen several with that issue lately, and they had no idea what was causing it but he could get me a replacement, but first they wanted to check one thing, as a precaution.  So he plugged it in, using their charger instead of the one I'd been using and let it sit.  He then told me to come back in about 10 minutes and talk to the guy coming in behind him... that he'd tell him all about it.

Ha. Well. Needless to say, I had to have the "new" guy paged when I returned and explain the whole thing over again. He acted like he'd never heard of such an issue.  I had made screenshots ahead of time showing where it would drop from 55% battery to nothing, and then miraculously jump back to 50% again once it was charging.  This was pretty impressive to Guy A, Guy B didn't seem to see what was going on.  BUT he did explain something that clicked once he talked about it. 

Batteries are fickle creatures.  And sometimes, for whatever reason they get moody and dont communicate with their devices anymore.  I've experienced this with Android phones before, which the Nook is, when I've replaced the operating system.  There's a "battery stats" application hidden in the operating system that keeps track of the battery and it's status.  If this gets out of sync, it will make the phone refuse to charge fully or cause the battery to drain faster than usual.  As part of the process of reflashing a new ROM to an Android device,  you're always encouraged to wipe the battery stats.  Obviously, we can't do this with our Nooks.  It is highly possible since most people noticed the issue after the last update that the stats were not wiped during the update which put it out of sync and makes the device think there is more battery left than there really is. 

He also told me that the Nook expects to be "fully charged" after 4 hours and switches to AC power if it remains plugged in, this keeps it from overcharging the battery.  So even though it may be plugged in all night, it's not charging the whole time.  So.. let's say your charger isn't pushing out the correct amount of juice and it would take longer than 4 hours to charge the Nook... well, it's not going to get a full charge.  But because it was plugged in for the full time, it's going to THINK it was.  It's only later, as you're using it and it's checking itself out that it realizes.. "hey! My battery is almost dead!" 

The simple fix, that SO FAR, seems to be working for my Nook was that he gave me a new charger.. replaced it.. kept the old one so I wouldn't accidentally plug it into the wrong one.. and said to use a different outlet. He told me to use it til it dies.. run it all the way down.  (I hear you laughing, but here's what I did).  Since I know it'll say it's dead before it is, I used it til it said it was dead, plugged it in long enough for it to come back up and register the "real" percentage, then unplugged again.. Just keeping it plugged in for a few minutes to make sure it registered the battery percentage.  After doing this a few times, it started dying sooner and sooner after unplugging it.  That's when I considered it "Dead Enough" and plugged it in for the night.

So the first night, I used the new charger... let it sit all night on charge.. died at 40% the next day.  After draining it again, I moved the new charger to a different outlet, in a different room (different circuit breaker, in other words) and charged it to full again.  It's currently at 58% after being off charge for 3 days 6 hours 25 minutes and 56 seconds.  I've read on it for probably 5 hours or so during that time and had it "sleeping" (I use the Groovy Cover so it sleeps when not being used) with wifi off.  Before, if I carried it around in my bag for more than a day, it would be dead when I tried to turn it on.

So far, so good.  *Keeping Fingers Crossed*

If nothing else, at least we've gone through this process and they know I've been there once before so next time I should be able to get a replacement if needed.

Nook Color (Hubby's) * Nook ST * Nook HD+
Contributor
SamZzz
0 Kudos

Well, that was short lived.

My HD+ has gotten a little better since I've swapped chargers and power outlets.  It doesn't die when it's sleeping at least.  But it does randomly while using it and always shows a charge as soon as it's plugged back in.  Today while at lunch, it threw up the critical alert and shut down so I closed the cover and let it sleep.  It shut down anyway, but when I started it back up.. 73%.  :smileymad:

Looks like I'm going to have to waste another 3 hours driving to/from the B&N store.

Reader
StersiDarling
0 Kudos

I have been having the same exact issue!!
THANK GOODNESS it isn't just me!

I bought my Nook HD in January of '13 (so the warranty ran out three and a half months ago), and had no problems with it up until three or four weeks past. My problems are the same as most of yours (critical battery warning pops up says it is at 1% - I plug it back in, and it registers at 45%!)

Now, my Nook HD has decided to take it even FURTHER, and many times will die at 85% - I have caught on that if the Wi-Fi is on, then it will die at 97%! That is just ridiculus - I can barely download free friday books with that kind of battery life!

I have let it completely die, then recharged it; multiple soft resets; one factory reset; I just erased and de-registered, and re-registered it tonight, and still the same problem.

I LOVE my Nook HD (third Nook I've had the pleasure of owning), and I suggest getting a Nook to anyone who will listen to me. I hope Barnes and Noble come up with a solution quickly, or else I feel like I am being forced to go with a Kindle, or a Tablet.

Contributor
SamZzz
0 Kudos

Well, I'm now on two weeks with the replacement charger.  Haven't had a chance to take the Nook back to B&N yet.  It's developed a different quirk now.  It seems that it has decided to forgo the warnings and will shut off while an app is starting up.  It's not every app, and it doesn't always do it with the same apps, but it will decide it doesn't want to run somethign and just shut off.  It's so sudden,.. there's almost a popping sound.. as it happens.

Maybe this will be something easy enough to reproduce once I get the chance to take it in that they'll finally see there is an issue here. :smileysad:

New User
Korgy
0 Kudos

Factory reset would be the best choice in determining the problem.