Inspired Wordsmith
BFCoughlin
0 Kudos

HD+ got HOT

I keep my HD+ in an Oberon sleeve.  This evening, I took it off the desk where I keep it during the day and put it on a chair in the sleeve.  I think I had my NC on top of it, and it's possible it was under a scarf.  Maybe 45 mintues later or so I picked it up and sat found the sleeve and the chair were quite warm.  I took the HD+ out of the sleeve and it was actually HOT.  It was on, showing the opening screen.  I hadn't turned it on. Battery was down to 27%--it was charged the night before last and not used much, so it should have been was better than that.  I checked and I had the auto-sleep timer at an hour.  (Did that when I was downloading a movie a while back, never changed it back to a shorter time period.) I set it back to 5 min, and turned it off.  It's cooled down now, but this kind of worries me.  Any ideas? 

flyingtoastr
Topics: 55
Kudos: 2,923
0 Kudos

Re: HD+ got HOT

Is there any physical problem with the device? Particularly any deformation on the casing?

I would do a soft reset anyway (hold down the power button for 20 seconds, release for 5, press for 5).

Inspired Wordsmith
BFCoughlin
0 Kudos

No, it looks fine. It cooled off quickly, works perfectly.  I charged it overnight and it's up to 100%.  I'm not sure how it got turned on in the case: I hadn't just slipped it in, where I could accidentally hit the button, and since I put it in upside down, it would be hard for it to be hit accidentally.  Must have happened, though.  But why should it get so hot?  That's what worries me.

Bibliophile
bklvr896
0 Kudos

I don't know if this is the same thing but my Android phone gets really hot at times, depending on what is running.
Bibliophile
5ivedom
0 Kudos

I was playing Ice Age Village on my Kindle Fire HD 8.9" (it won't run on Nooks for some reason). The Fire got super hot.

So hot I had to turn it off.

I think there's some flaw in how they make Tablets these days. I used to get it with iPad too.

Nook I actually get very rarely. Usually when doing Netflix for a few hours.

Not sure how your device would turn on and get hot in the case. That's really strange.

Inspired Wordsmith
BFCoughlin

Yeah--that's the odd thing.  I figure that there was a combination of unusual events: A) the thing somehow turned on in the sleeve after I moved it from the desk to the chair--it was definitely NOT on when I took it form the desk; B) I usually have the time-put set to 15 minutes, but because I'd downloaded ONE movie just so see if it would work, I changed it to an hour and forgot to change it back; and C) since I assumed it was off and nothing to worry about, I had put a silk scarf on the chair and I think the Nook was under it.  I'm guessing that after the poltergeist turned it on, between being in the sleeve and under the scarf and on for nearly an hour, it overheated. I've had the thing since the day the HDs came out and have had no trouble with it.  Nothing like this has happened before.  I just hope I didn't do damage to the battery in the process.