Inspired Wordsmith
julestrik
0 Kudos

HD+ turns off and on

I was wondering if anyone has experienced a strange turning off and on of the HD+.  At first I thought I was accidentally hitting the off button, now that it is in different position but when I realized I wasn't doing that and that the screen just went blank.  Sometimes it would just come back on without me doing anything or just moving it or I would hit the n button.  The strangest thing of all is that it will just come back on and I don't have to unlock it.  I'm going to return it tomorrow but I'm worried because this isn't something that I can just make happen.  It just happens...so odd and annoying.

New User
macbug58
0 Kudos

Re: HD+ turns off and on

I have been having the same problem. At first I thought it was just the game I was playing that maybe overloaded it, but then I noticed that no matter what app I use on it, it will randomly freeze up then completely shut down and restart after about a minute of use. Not only that but now, even after leaving on the charger for 2 days (and it's only a month old) it won't turn on or charge up.

Inspired Contributor
GeoffreyF
0 Kudos

if enough time goes by and you dont do anything it will shut off. you can lengthen this timeout in the settings.

Bibliophile
5ivedom
0 Kudos

julestrik, there are some reports of this on the forums.

You can save the url for this thread in an email and then load that at B&N and show them.

I think I've seen 3 or 4 other people get this 'Nook just restarts for no reason' issue.

Reader 4
wookatme
0 Kudos

Yes, got mine for Christmas to replace Nook color and I have the same problem. When I'm reading for an hour or so it might do it as much as 3 times. I don't know if your local B&N have classes fir Nook but mine does and if I'm feeling better by Saturday I plan to go to ours and get a new one. This is unacceptable.
New User
LindseyM85
0 Kudos

Now I know why Barnes and Nobles dropped the price by $100.00 on the Nook Hd+. I've only had mine a couple months, and it constantly turns off. I am upset because on the box when it was shipped it said I had 14 days to decide if I wanted to keep it and it worked fine for two weeks and since then have had a lot of problems. My Nook Tablet worked great but this is a disappointment!

Wordsmith
AlbionRose
0 Kudos

Is it in a cover? I seem to remember that the Groovy cover can sometimes cause the Nook to switch off & on..

If not, take it into a store and get an exchange - it shouldn't do that.

Good luck

BN_Andy
0 Kudos

Lyndsey, sometimes I find that if I am using it in Landscape mode, I may accidentally hit the Power Button on the side. Once I realize that I'm doing this, I flip the device so that the button is on the top. If this is not the case at all, try taking it into a store and have a NOOK Technician take a look.

Contributor
daisysmamu
0 Kudos

I had the same problem.  Bought mine on a Friday, and the problems started that day, multiple times, despite reboot, deregistering, etc.  Took it back on Sunday and exchanged it for another.  No problems since!  And the exchange took all of 5 minutes, no questions asked.

Reader 4
besjes
0 Kudos

Hi,

Same problem here as well.   The Nook HD+ will turn off at random times and then reboot all by itself.  This is not the same as the screen going into "sleep mode" or hitting the off button. 

It is a true shut down and then restart just like if you were clicking on the "restart" button on a computer. 

Betty - the bicycling lady
New User
pwhere
0 Kudos

same problem with my Nook HD .. very frustrating. Read all the posts and all the people getting replacements. I turned OFF THE POWER SAVE MODE and have not had the problem since! :smileyhappy:
Inspired Contributor
ConnieL4193
0 Kudos

Just had mine power off for the first time since I've had it. No I didn't hit the power button and no it wasn't in a case. It just shut off and I had the hardest time making it come back on. It had plenty of battery left. I plugged it in and kept trying to turn it on. Finally it did come on but gotta say it was rather annoying.  I don't user power save mode so not sure why it did that. Needless to say, I'll be keeping an eye on it. I know that this is common for a lot of cell phones and even tablets but I really expect better of a device that is fairly proprietary.

Reader 2
VLChristensen
0 Kudos

I noticed a problem with my HD turning on and off unexpectedly. I eventually figured out it was due to the Nook coming into close contact with the magnet that secures the flap of my shoulder bag. I deduced that this is how the Groovy cover puts the Nook in sleep mode. Is it possible this is what you are seeing?