Reader 4
Beaz
0 Kudos
Accepted Solution

How do I get my library to stop syncing

Since the Google update, my Nook HD is constantly giving the notification on the top that my "library is syncing", even though the wifi is off.  Even while reading it pops up and almost every time I come off sleep mode.  Is there anyway to disable this syncing madness so that it only syncs either when I prompt it to, like in the NE1 (Search for new content), or at least wait until i turn on wifi...it is draining my battery,

Reader 4
knittingforalyssa
0 Kudos

Re: How do I get my library to stop syncing

I am having this same problem.  I'm at work and my Nook is at home, but if you go into the Menu (the top bar), there is an option that you can uncheck that says "Google Sync Accounts" os something similar.  That may stop it.  Other than that hopefully someone else knows. 

Bibliophile
5ivedom
0 Kudos

Is this update from Nook or Google Play?

I get something like this from Google Play. what the earlier poster said might help. It must be a Google setting somewhere to not sync Google Library.

Distinguished Correspondent
celandinehobbit

[ Edited ]

I was having the problem with the same apps bought through Nook and Google Play (Twitter, Spotify, etc) trying to compete update. Deleted Spotify as I never used it and then did what everyone suggested already here by going into settings in Google Play (three small boxes in the top right hand corner) and on the 'Auto-update apps' pressing on it to bring up a pop up box in which there is an option to NOT be notified about auto updating. Solved my problems. Good luck!

Edit: Sorry, I misunderstood the question. Tried to delete my post but it won't let me. :smileyfrustrated:

Someone did explain how to pull up the sync button in the Library section (volume up and tab on the word Library at the top). Perhaps doing this will at least give you some control over the sync. 

Contributor
Lirath
0 Kudos

Under the Account settings there's a button to turn off the auto-synch, didn't see it before reading this thread.  Hope it's the answer!  Thanks

Inspired Contributor
sflawguy1
0 Kudos

I tried turning off the auto-sync, no luck.   I still get the Library is syncing notifications far more often than I would expect.

Wordsmith
AlbionRose

One of the early issues with my HD+ was that it showed files that didn't exist in my library. Some were files from a previously inserted sd card, some were additional copies of files on the sd card.  The issue went away after update 2.6, and the syncing library message started showing up.

It flashes on and the quickly off for me, so not a big issue and soooo much better than having ghost files locking up the music player and gallery apps.  I have a full 32 GB sd card in the device too.

There may be some new apps trying to sync books, magazines and movies to your library following the 2.1 update. I must admit that I have gotten rid of many of the new google apps by excluding them from my profile, so I don't knowif they are the culprits.

It may be worth going into the settings for each app and disabling any auto syncing and see if that helps. I guess task managers that show how much cpu is being devoted to syncing would show you if it's a big problem on your device. Just showing how much ram it uses doesn't tell you how often it runs or how cpu hungry it is, I understand.

Contributor
Lirath
0 Kudos

It didn't work for me either, though it's not quite as frequent and it doesn't synch 5 or 6 times in 10 seconds anymore, so it's less annoying at least. Still no full fix.
Inspired Contributor
BrittanynCory

[ Edited ]
You helped me Celandinehobbit, so thank you! :smileyhappy:
Reader 4
Beaz

Thanks celandinehobbit..tried the volume up and tabbing on the word library and the syncing symbol now appears on the top. Hopefully this will solve crazy syncing. Will update post if problem persists.
Contributor
Jen30s
0 Kudos

What do you mean "tab" on the word Library?  I tried "tapping" on it, and pushing the volume up button at the same time and it only brought up the on-screen volume control.

Distinguished Correspondent
celandinehobbit

[ Edited ]

Jen30s wrote:

What do you mean "tab" on the word Library?  I tried "tapping" on it, and pushing the volume up button at the same time and it only brought up the on-screen volume control.

For some, glad I could help! Honestly, it's a trick I learned from someone here so I can't claim I discovered it myself. :smileywink:

Jen, it's more a long press than a simple, quick tap. Make sure you're holding the volume up button while you do it (the volume will go to it's highest setting) and the sync icon should pop up on the upper right hand corner of your screen. Good luck! 

Wordsmith
AlbionRose

Just encountered this 'library syncing' issue... tablet effectively locks up and the sync arrows are flashing on and off as it tries to sync.

In my case, I suspect it is down to a dodgey wifi connection.

My wifi has been flakey recently - ISP says it is 'noise' in the junction box on the street which causes it to go down or slow down periodically.  

If I look at the wifi indicator on the Nook when this endless syncing is taking place, it is showing the 'part fan with up arrow' that I associate with 'trying to download info from the the internet.'

Maybe Airplane mode might stop the sync from attempting to access the internet....

New User
Shamir
0 Kudos

Yes, I have had this problem many times, tried holding and pressing the volume up key, still no change. :smileysad:
New User
Nebula10
0 Kudos

Has anyone solved this problem? My Nook crashes every minute like clockwork because the library is syncing. I don't even know what it's syncing with since I didn't voluntarily connect it to any other devices. How can I stop it from performing this constant, pointless task? I tried every imaginable variation of pressing and holding the volume button and the library icon, but it doesn't do anything. Please help!

New User
FaerieLore
0 Kudos

I WISH I knew also.  I've had my NOOK HD for about 2 months and it JUST STARTED doing this.  Constant library sync then BOOM web crash-----SOOO ANNOYING!!  I justed did a reboot so hopefully this will help.

Reader 4
Zavonglyr

I was having this problem recently, as well.

Constant browser crashes, boat browser and dolphin.

My library was syncing constantly.

I was really starting to hate my Nookhd.

I decided to do a hard reset by pushing the power button and holding the nook button.

It gave me the option to restore to factory settings and I did.

Went to google play and the nook store and re-downloaded all my apps making sure not to duplicate any.

I then went through all of my google play aps using the settings button in the google play store and unchecked all automatic updates.

Went to the settings on my nook and unchecked all syncing options and automatic updates.

Wow.My Nook hd hums again.I have only seen one sync in two days.No browser crashes and both browsers fly through pages again.

It really wasn't that bad re-downloading my apps.

Both stores had all apps I have downloaded in the past and I got the chance to pick and choose.

Everything is back  again and running awesome.

No syncs no crashes.

All of my books and movies are on my sd card so I lost nothing and am a satisfied nookhd owner again.

I am so glad I did this.

New User
FaerieLore
0 Kudos

STILL having the syncing issue!!! I did a manufacturers reset nad it didn't help.  The only thing I can do on my NOOK HD is read.  Even some of my games crash GRRR it's so FRUSTRATING!!  Anyone know how to fix it yet? I've done everything I can think of ...resetting, turning of auto sync blah blah blah.  nothing works