Reader
Bravzilla
0 Kudos

How do I remove a virus?

Hello. My McAfee app recently reported that I have a trojan masquerading as an app called Nook Demo. McAfee cannot remove the threat. I cannot locate the app to manually delete it. I installed and ran F-Secure Clean app, and it says there are no threats. I have even tried erasing and deregistering the device, but McAfee says the threat is still there. I have tried chatting online with a Nook tech and three separate times the B&N server ended my session for inactivity while I was typing a response. Can anyone please help me? How do I remove the threat?

Bibliophile
bklvr896
0 Kudos

Re: How do I remove a virus?

Bravzilla wrote:

Hello. My McAfee app recently reported that I have a trojan masquerading as an app called Nook Demo. McAfee cannot remove the threat. I cannot locate the app to manually delete it. I installed and ran F-Secure Clean app, and it says there are no threats. I have even tried erasing and deregistering the device, but McAfee says the threat is still there. I have tried chatting online with a Nook tech and three separate times the B&N server ended my session for inactivity while I was typing a response. Can anyone please help me? How do I remove the threat?

I would try the McAfee site to see if there's any information on whether or not this is a false positive or something else, since another app says there's nothing there.

Inspired Scribe
orb9220

[ Edited ]

Yep the Nook Demo is a file that is part of the Nook OS.

Demo Mode on the Nook Color is used when you want to show off features of the device and that’s an useful thing if you own a shop selling these kind of devices. And the demo you see at a B&N Nook kiosk showing the Nook capabilities.

Do not believe that everytime an anti-virus program states a file is infected or a virus. Doesn't make it true. And often give false positives that are benign programs or files.

"All I Know is...Last Night the Tele-Tubbies came out of the wall and Held Me Down while they put Devices in my Head!"
http://www.flickr.com/photos/orb9220/
Reader
Bravzilla
0 Kudos

Thank you both! I suspected that this might be a false positive. I have contacted McAfee about it.

Inspired Correspondent
Fat_Old_Guy

[ Edited ]

McAffee is one of the worst AV products out there even the batshit crazy founder of the company thinks it is garbage now.

That said it is way better than no AV at all :smileytongue:

Inspired Scribe
orb9220
0 Kudos

Yep McAffee and Norton are bloated default installs on system to hook people in that don't do their homework.

I use Avast on my Windows 7 side and is Free and highly rated up there with Nod32,Bitdefender Kasperky.

Tho don't know if any of them are available for android.
"All I Know is...Last Night the Tele-Tubbies came out of the wall and Held Me Down while they put Devices in my Head!"
http://www.flickr.com/photos/orb9220/
Inspired Contributor
wallacegal

Lookout and Dr Web. Two great anti malware, anti virus programs. The first thing I do with any new tablet, phone, what have you is uninstall the crapware like McAfee and Norton. Those are companies who get paid to look the other way on a lot of unwanted crapware.
Inspired Correspondent
Fat_Old_Guy

I use lookout, have it on my nook and my phone.

New User
cljagos4
0 Kudos

I have webroot and i am getting the same message. I have also de registered my nook and did a factory reset and it still says i have a virus. What can i do.

Inspired Contributor
wallacegal
0 Kudos

If the message is claiming Nook Demo is a virus, nothing. It's a system item that can't be deleted. You're AV is giving you a false positive so ignore it. The Nook Demo is for people who have just gotten the Nook to look at and learn how to use the device.