Contributor
Utenahime
0 Kudos
Accepted Solution

How do you do a hard reset?

I'm finally getting around to exchanging my Nook HD due to overheating issues, but before I go to the store, I want to make sure all my personal information has been deleted from it. I've seen explanations on how to do a soft reset, but I can't find any explanation on how to do a hard reset/return to factory settings.

If anyone could help me out, I'd appreciate it! 

flyingtoastr
Topics: 55
Kudos: 2,975

Re: How do you do a hard reset?

Turn the NOOK off completely.

Hold the Power button and Home (n) buttons. The device will turn on. Continue to hold both buttons until the device shuts off once again (~15-20 seconds). 

Turn the device on normally. It will prompt for a factory reset. Press the Home button twice to confirm.

As a side note, BN does a full reflash of the memory when a device is refurbished, so you really need not be paranoid about personal information past the normal erase/deregister.

Contributor
Utenahime
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Thanks for the help! But I do have one more question- I noticed you mentioned that they refurbished Nooks, and I remember someone said that when they returned theirs they were forced to take a refurbished one. Is that common? Because if they are going to replace my defective Nook with a refurbished one, I'll just get my money back...>_>

Distinguished Bibliophile
Mercury_Glitch

Utenahime wrote:

Thanks for the help! But I do have one more question- I noticed you mentioned that they refurbished Nooks, and I remember someone said that when they returned theirs they were forced to take a refurbished one. Is that common? Because if they are going to replace my defective Nook with a refurbished one, I'll just get my money back...>_>

If you're within the return window you can exchange your Nook HD for a brand new one.  The return window is typically two weeks from date of purchase.  However for the holiday it was extended starting November 15th to allow for a return up to January 31st. 

I am not sure when that extended return window returns to the standard 14 days, though I suspect it was January 16th to make it easy for handling returns.

If you're outside of that return window your options are more limited.  Though I'm not sure they'll have refurbished HDs just yet so you may be able to get a new one anyway.  As with all things, kindness gets you everywhere.

The Wheel weaves as the Wheel wills, and we are only the thread of the Pattern.
Distinguished Scribe
Schwa
0 Kudos

If I recall correctly, outside of the return policy:

Warranty exchanges within 30 days gets you a new device.  Warranty exchanges outside of 30 days gets you a refurbished.  This seems to be pretty standard in the mobile electronics industry as well.

Distinguished Wordsmith
Rignes

Unfortunately there is this odd stigma against refurbished items that is largely unfounded.   As long as BN is backing up the referbished item with a warranty and it looks and feels new then I'd not worry about it.

I've had many refurbished items from various vendors over the years with very high success.  In fact, I often seek out and buy refurbished items.  They are cheaper and often come with a standard new item warranty (I read the fine print to confirm).

Bibliophile
5ivedom
0 Kudos

Rignes, for me it's the fact that someone else owned it before me.

I had the same issue when buying a car. Even though new cars are 30% to 40% more expensive than a good refurbished model.

Perhaps other people feel the same way.

Makes for some interesting conversations with some of my friends who are into thrift and antique clothing. :smileyhappy:

Contributor
Utenahime
0 Kudos

It's exactly like 5ivedom said. Consciously I know I'm getting a good product, but it still feels like I'm being punished for receiving a defective one in the first place. /shrugs
Distinguished Bibliophile
Mercury_Glitch
0 Kudos

Utenahime wrote:
It's exactly like 5ivedom said. Consciously I know I'm getting a good product, but it still feels like I'm being punished for receiving a defective one in the first place. /shrugs

Right now most of the refurbished HDs are probably in one of the following catagories

1) open box, but never used.

2) open box used until they realized it wasn't eink

3) used longer than 20 minutes

The longer you wait the more likely it's going to be from 3. 

The Wheel weaves as the Wheel wills, and we are only the thread of the Pattern.
Bibliophile
5ivedom
0 Kudos

Yeah, good point Mercury Glitch.

I wonder what percentage of returns are

1) People who returned it because they didn't want a Tablet (or didnt' want a HD/HD+)

OR

2) People who returned it because they wanted eInk.

Any guesses Mercury Glitch?