Contributor
lkszip
0 Kudos
Accepted Solution

How does one delete apps from a Nook HD?

Yes, I've read that you just tap and hold the app you want to delete and a pop-up menu should give you the option to delete, but I don't have that option!!  The only options that come up are "Add to Home" and "Add to Shelf".

Help??  

Thanks! Lisa

Inspired Bibliophile
compulsivereaderTX

Re: How does one delete apps from a Nook HD?

The only reason I can think of that it won't allow you to delete an app, archive it or move it to the cloud (something you might want to do with a purchased app so you don't have to rebuy it later if you decide you want it) is that it is one of the stock apps that come with the device. Those apps can not be deleted.

You may choose to remove it from the home page if they are bothering you but you can't delete them.

Inspired Wordsmith
petesnook
0 Kudos

Or you can login to your account at bn.com and delete it from there, assuming it was an app you purchased and not a pre-installed one as compulsivereader noted.  Also, as compulsivereader noted, be aware that however you delete it, it will truly be deleted and will need to be repurchased if you want it again.  

Distinguished Scribe
NookGardener

Or you could try: Tap Quick Settings (top right corner), then All Settings, then Applications, then My Apps. Open up the app you want to remove and UNINSTALL it.
Frequent Contributor
The_Walrus_43

BN pre-installed apps cannot be deleted.

Contributor
NateWalker
0 Kudos

Just bought this. Think I'll bring it back if this is the case. Apps like Spotify, Pandora, and Hulu Plus are utterly useless to me and two require subscriptions. Whenever I UNINSTALL them, they automatically reinstall themselves. Think I go later and return it. May be a small deal to some, but I like being able to remove useless third part apps, or at least disable them which is not possible in these apps' cases.
Distinguished Correspondent
junonia-shell
0 Kudos

You can disable them. Just go to your user profile and under manage content, check off the apps you do not wish to use.  Click save and apps are outta sight, outta  mind. I don't use those apps either.

Contributor
NateWalker
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

No, I could not disable them.

If you disable them, they come back. All checking them off does is remove the icon from the App list, from what I've seen. It's like hiding a Windows application icon from a user through Parental Controls or Group Policy. That does not uninstall the app.  It does not recover the space that they take up, for example.

Additionally, I ran into a number of apps that simply crashed on start up, even though the developers said it should run if it shows up in Google Play (these aren't average joe developers, either).

Google Play Music icon did not show up in the app drawer. Only way to enter it was to put the widget on a home screen and use that.  In the market it does not show up as an update.  It's as if the tablet has no clue that it's installed.  Installing it does not put the icon in the app drawer.  Trying to start it from the Play Store app causes Play Store to crash.  Did they even test this before deploying this update?

If you brush your hand across the screen you can mistakenly move icons out of place. Arranging icons in the Launcher was one of the most unintuitive experiences I've ever been graced with.  Widgets are not resizeable.  They can also be easily accidentally moved and positioning them to your liking is equally as frustrating.

It doesn't play nice with Apps that install their own ring-tones, since the OS doesn't seem to have the same type of media scanner and folder intelligence as traditional Android devices.

There were a ton of issues, and it only took me like 8 hours to notice them. Usability was not great. It wasn't even close to great.

I wanted an eReader Tablet because I wanted to use it for training. I can load eBooks with technical information and the eReaders on these are simply more powerful than the "Apps" in various app stores are. Being able to take snippets out of the book, annotate and take notes, etc. would have been very useful.  I can use apps like OneNote to draw on screen using a capacitive Stylus.  et cetera

However, the app compatibility/crashing issues in addition to the generally bad user experience in the Nook Launcher just did it for me. It wasn't something that "keeping it for a little longer" would have fixed. I took it back and got a refund.

Such a shame, cause the prices for these are killer. But I don't buy tech to work on it, I buy tech to help me work better.

Also, there are so few Android apps that are designed to run on Tablets, that I don't think I'll ever consider anything based on Android again. I will save up and get an iPad Mini or second hand iPad 2/3 instead and just deal with weaker eReading components.  Also don't like how they did Notifications...

I'm rather disappointed, and even more bummed because had those compatibility/stability/user experience issues not exist it is an exceptional value; but money doesn't grow on trees and there is no use wasting it on a device that you won't enjoy using...

IMO.

New User
Mydamon
0 Kudos

as it works, thank you. I could hide the apps that I will not.

Thanks a lot.

Walter

New User
SanityIsNotStatistical
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Thank you! As I was trolling through the FAQ for an answer for this very issue and the official one did not work - even for those apps that were not "pre-installed" This does! 

Again Thank you!!!

New User
Miragian
0 Kudos

I have this issue. The plats vs zombies 2 app I installed does not work "Unfortunately shop has stoppe" the icon does not have the option to move to clous or delete and it does not appear on the app list under settings.

Any suggestions on how to remove it. Can you remove a app manually from a pc?

Contributor
Dan_nook
0 Kudos

Miragian wrote:

I have this issue. The plats vs zombies 2 app I installed does not work "Unfortunately shop has stoppe" the icon does not have the option to move to clous or delete and it does not appear on the app list under settings.

That's the message you get when there is no app installed. So there is nothing to uninstall. You want to delete the useless icon, but the Nook software provides no way to do that! You can hide app icons, but not delete them. Stupid.

Bibliophile
Schwa
0 Kudos

Miragian wrote:

PvZ2 is a Google Play app.  You can only manage those apps through the Play Store app, the Nook functions only work for Nook content.

New User
Valarclan
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Spotify, and several others are security risks.  I too tried removing, deleting, burning it to death with the help of the 'Spaish Inquisition', and yet like Godzilla it keeps returning...... and returning...... f' that ...... Security risks should be allowed to be removed.

New User
jd42
0 Kudos

The easy way, unless you'd figured it out by now, is to go to settings -> applications -> MyApps and uninstall it from there. I had the problem with duplicate Spotify apps (the Nook one was obsolete and I had to install one myself side-by-side with it) and solved it this way.

But all in all, Android is certainly many heads and shoulders above iPad's restricted and obnoxious atrocity. :smileyhappy: