Reply
Frequent Contributor
LucaToo
Posts: 41
Registered: ‎11-28-2012
0 Kudos

How many peolple use GAPPS, Cyanogenmod, N2A etc

And which would you recommend..?

Inspired Bibliophile
compulsivereaderTX
Posts: 1,119
Registered: ‎01-09-2010

Re: How many peolple use GAPPS, Cyanogenmod, N2A etc

I've used all 3. My NC is running Cyanogenmod but started with N2A which I quickly ditched. My HD+ is running Gapps.

 

N2A is the simplest to install, you just put an sd card into your device. However, it is least convenient to use as you have to constantly reboot to switch between the two OS. If you never use the stock side at all...you should have just bought an android tablet to start with. The Nook app is not even close to the reading experience of the Stock reader.

 

The other 2 install in the same way and in fact, I have both on the same sd card that I used to install them.

To switch between stock and android interface, you simply hit the N button and choose. I can see why people are timid to try this. They don't want to void their warranty, it sounds complicated and intimidating, what if you brick your device..etc....I just read and reread the instructions until I was sure I had the basic steps down and then waited a bit more to get the nerve up to do it...and 15 minutes later it was done. Gapps is installed whether you root or don't root.

 

Whether you root or just install Gapps is a personal opinion. You will get the full android experience by rooting plus Gapps. If you just want Gapps for a few apps that you can't live without, but you've waited and waited and they still aren't in the Nook Store, then just installing Gapps should be enough. I have noticed a difference in performance betwen the two such as some apps won't install unless you are rooted.  Root seemed faster and more responsive than just using Gapps. The interface would be the same depending on what launcher you installed. Zeam seems to be the choice of the developers as it has always been the one that installed when I did it.

 

I first rooted, then when decided maybe just Gapps. Gapps is fine right now for me. I'm not into the whole Android experience, I'm mainly a reader and I rarely even watch movies on my device, usually use it to watch instructional videos and to store my reading and reference library so it's always right there at my fingertips and I don't have to search my bookshelves for them. I installed Gapps mainly for the Calibre companion app that I deem to be one of the most important apps needed for anyone who uses their device as a reader. It solves so many issues on the devices and I refuse to suffer without it. And having been a Nook user since day 1, I know what life is like without it and it would be suffering to not have CC.

 

It mainly comes down to personal choice. If you willing to put up with the hassle of having to reboot all the time to avoid rooting, then the N2A and other cards like it are the better choice for you. Since you can make your own card and avoid the expense, I'm assuming people purchase the cards instead so they don't have to deal with making them.

 

If you are someone willing to learn how to make your own N2A card..then you might as well take the plunge and just root, you'll be a lot happier and it doesn't take that much more effort. I'm actually surprised that people aren't making the rooting sd cards for sale so people can root without the hassle of making the cards. :smileyhappy: But...that requires reading instructions and lots of people don't always do that. :smileyhappy:

However, they CAN pop an sd card in and out of their device.

 

To root or just use Gapps...Just Gapps is a nice introduction to what you'd get with rooting. If you liked it but found you needed more, then you could still root. You'd have the basics down so rooting should no longer be scary, just adding a few more files to the sd card you made and installing them, depending on what type of root you decided on. I've heard there is a hybrid method but I haven't tried that so can't tell you how it works.

 

 

Inspired Wordsmith
whiteginger
Posts: 917
Registered: ‎08-30-2010
0 Kudos

Re: How many peolple use GAPPS, Cyanogenmod, N2A etc

I have only used N2A, so I can't make a recommendation, but here's my experience.

 

I bought N2A for my NC and used the Android OS for all my productivity/office stuff.  Switching OS is incredibly easy on NC and I love having my books, my library in a separate OS--I think the NOOK side is far superior for reading.  

 

Bought an HD+ for magazines, and probably movies later on, with plans to install N2A with Eye-Fi (Eye-Fi card in camera creates its own hotspot and seamlessly downloads recent pix  to mobile device without connecting cables). I bought my own SD card this time and chose the option to download the N2A image and write it to the card I had puschased. Not a bad experience, but I would opt for buying the preloaded card from N2A next time. Somehow, I just don't feel the OS on the card I created is stable.   Following suggestions from this board and the N2A board, I installed the QuickBoot app so that I could boot into the NOOK OS without taking out the N2A card.  I don't like this nearly as well as the "dual boot" option on my NC. It works about 60% of the time, but again, I'm not sure that the OS installation on my card is stable.    

 

I had to set everything up quickly before a trip and didn't have time to work out kinks with either N2A or Eye-Fi.  With only moderate hassle, the Eye-Fi set-up on the HD+ (possible only with N2A) worked well during the trip, but I was a bit afraid to keep switching between OS, so I didn't get to read as much as I had planned. :smileysad:  Now that I have time to work with the N2A, I plan to erase and reimage my SD and reinstall the Eye-Fi. 

Frequent Contributor
MarshaInSC
Posts: 32
Registered: ‎11-02-2012
0 Kudos

Re: How many peolple use GAPPS, Cyanogenmod, N2A etc


compulsivereaderTX wrote:

I've used all 3. My NC is running Cyanogenmod but started with N2A which I quickly ditched. My HD+ is running Gapps.

 

N2A is the simplest to install, you just put an sd card into your device. However, it is least convenient to use as you have to constantly reboot to switch between the two OS. If you never use the stock side at all...you should have just bought an android tablet to start with. The Nook app is not even close to the reading experience of the Stock reader.

 

The other 2 install in the same way and in fact, I have both on the same sd card that I used to install them.

To switch between stock and android interface, you simply hit the N button and choose. I can see why people are timid to try this. They don't want to void their warranty, it sounds complicated and intimidating, what if you brick your device..etc....I just read and reread the instructions until I was sure I had the basic steps down and then waited a bit more to get the nerve up to do it...and 15 minutes later it was done. Gapps is installed whether you root or don't root.

 

Whether you root or just install Gapps is a personal opinion. You will get the full android experience by rooting plus Gapps. If you just want Gapps for a few apps that you can't live without, but you've waited and waited and they still aren't in the Nook Store, then just installing Gapps should be enough. I have noticed a difference in performance betwen the two such as some apps won't install unless you are rooted.  Root seemed faster and more responsive than just using Gapps. The interface would be the same depending on what launcher you installed. Zeam seems to be the choice of the developers as it has always been the one that installed when I did it.

 

I first rooted, then when decided maybe just Gapps. Gapps is fine right now for me. I'm not into the whole Android experience, I'm mainly a reader and I rarely even watch movies on my device, usually use it to watch instructional videos and to store my reading and reference library so it's always right there at my fingertips and I don't have to search my bookshelves for them. I installed Gapps mainly for the Calibre companion app that I deem to be one of the most important apps needed for anyone who uses their device as a reader. It solves so many issues on the devices and I refuse to suffer without it. And having been a Nook user since day 1, I know what life is like without it and it would be suffering to not have CC.

 

It mainly comes down to personal choice. If you willing to put up with the hassle of having to reboot all the time to avoid rooting, then the N2A and other cards like it are the better choice for you. Since you can make your own card and avoid the expense, I'm assuming people purchase the cards instead so they don't have to deal with making them.

 

If you are someone willing to learn how to make your own N2A card..then you might as well take the plunge and just root, you'll be a lot happier and it doesn't take that much more effort. I'm actually surprised that people aren't making the rooting sd cards for sale so people can root without the hassle of making the cards. :smileyhappy: But...that requires reading instructions and lots of people don't always do that. :smileyhappy:

However, they CAN pop an sd card in and out of their device.

 

To root or just use Gapps...Just Gapps is a nice introduction to what you'd get with rooting. If you liked it but found you needed more, then you could still root. You'd have the basics down so rooting should no longer be scary, just adding a few more files to the sd card you made and installing them, depending on what type of root you decided on. I've heard there is a hybrid method but I haven't tried that so can't tell you how it works.

 

 



compulsivereaderTX wrote:

 

The other 2 install in the same way and in fact, I have both on the same sd card that I used to install them.

To switch between stock and android interface, you simply hit the N button and choose. I can see why people are timid to try this. They don't want to void their warranty, it sounds complicated and intimidating, what if you brick your device..etc....I just read and reread the instructions until I was sure I had the basic steps down and then waited a bit more to get the nerve up to do it...and 15 minutes later it was done. Gapps is installed whether you root or don't root.

 

Whether you root or just install Gapps is a personal opinion. You will get the full android experience by rooting plus Gapps. If you just want Gapps for a few apps that you can't live without, but you've waited and waited and they still aren't in the Nook Store, then just installing Gapps should be enough. I have noticed a difference in performance betwen the two such as some apps won't install unless you are rooted.  Root seemed faster and more responsive than just using Gapps. The interface would be the same depending on what launcher you installed. Zeam seems to be the choice of the developers as it has always been the one that installed when I did it.

 

I first rooted, then when decided maybe just Gapps. Gapps is fine right now for me. I'm not into the whole Android experience, I'm mainly a reader and I rarely even watch movies on my device, usually use it to watch instructional videos and to store my reading and reference library so it's always right there at my fingertips and I don't have to search my bookshelves for them. I installed Gapps mainly for the Calibre companion app that I deem to be one of the most important apps needed for anyone who uses their device as a reader. It solves so many issues on the devices and I refuse to suffer without it. And having been a Nook user since day 1, I know what life is like without it and it would be suffering to not have CC.

 


@compulsivereader -

Are you saying I can root my HD+ and still have the stock reader/OS as well?  I have been checking out the sites, reading and re-reading, but wanted to make sure I could still get to stock.  I agree that the stock reader is way above the reader app, but would like to try the root/android experience as well.

 

Should I try it first on my Nook Tablet, or just go for it on my HD+ (my primary reader).

 

Thanks

Bibliophile
5ivedom
Posts: 3,544
Registered: ‎12-03-2011
0 Kudos

Re: How many peolple use GAPPS, Cyanogenmod, N2A etc

Compulsive Reader, how can GAPPS work without rooting?

 

I don't understand how it could work and let you install and run apps without rooting.

Inspired Correspondent
MusicmanGG
Posts: 325
Registered: ‎12-08-2009
0 Kudos

Re: How many peolple use GAPPS, Cyanogenmod, N2A etc

I bought the AFN download this weekend and burned the image to a 32 gig Sandisk Class 4 card (was on sale at Staples).   I thought performance would take a hit since it is running off of the SD Card, but I am happy to say it doesn't.   As others have stated, the stock reader is better and there are some magazines and newspapers that will not work with it rooted.  It is a pain to pull the card to boot into stock, especially with the 360 case... I'm sure there will be a dual boot feature coming our soon.....

Frequent Contributor
MarshaInSC
Posts: 32
Registered: ‎11-02-2012
0 Kudos

Re: How many peolple use GAPPS, Cyanogenmod, N2A etc

Sorry for the double quote on my previous message.  I was trying to delete part of the quote, but ended up getting more than I wanted.

 

I mainly want to know if I can have a "Stock" root, where I can boot to either the Android root or the Nook OS/reader.  I think it is possible according to some of the sites, but what wondering if anyone has tried it.

 

Distinguished Bibliophile
roustabout
Posts: 3,629
Registered: ‎03-31-2011
0 Kudos

Re: How many peolple use GAPPS, Cyanogenmod, N2A etc

You can install Play without running the OS rooted.

 

You install by booting from an SD card that has a recovery zip file which copies the Play binaries and runs an SQLITE command to enable non-BN apps being installed.  

 

I have run rooted stock and am currently running cm10 most of the time.  Rooted stock is stable, but slow.  

 

cm10 is much faster and more fluid but the SD card bug means it crashes and as of now Bluetooth audio does not work well for cm10.  

 

The experience running cm10 inclines me toward replacing the device soon.  The stock interface is very pokey at best and at worst is afflicted by stuttering.   The downside is that the Nook app for android isn't as good as stock for reading. Calibre Companion plus FBReader are superior for reading books;  having the device auto-manage my magazines is a convenience, though.  

"no warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized." Fourth Amendment to the US Constitution.
Inspired Bibliophile
compulsivereaderTX
Posts: 1,119
Registered: ‎01-09-2010
0 Kudos

Re: How many peolple use GAPPS, Cyanogenmod, N2A etc

[ Edited ]

MarshaInSC wrote:

Are you saying I can root my HD+ and still have the stock reader/OS as well?  I have been checking out the sites, reading and re-reading, but wanted to make sure I could still get to stock.  I agree that the stock reader is way above the reader app, but would like to try the root/android experience as well.

 

Should I try it first on my Nook Tablet, or just go for it on my HD+ (my primary reader).

 

Thanks


Yes, you can still have your stock OS. I had the same concerns as you do. I did not want to lose my stock reader, etc but I did want the added abilities of rooting. After asking lots of questions I realized I would still have both. I don't have an NT but I had heard that the rooting technique is different so I can't speculate there. I did root my NC and my HD+ (and my NE1 and my NST) and for them, it was basically the same installation, just different files. The HD+ was by far the easierst. I didn't have to go through the hassle of resetting back to the OS that came with my device. That saved tons of time over previous installations.

 

I spend 90% of my time on the Stock side. I am very absent minded and having to reboot to switch OS with the N2A card was an exercise in patience/frustration as I would have to try 2-3 times before I remembered to not get sidetracked and forget to hit the button at the right time to go into stock. If I missed, it booted up to Android. That may have changed since I did it..but it was the main reason I did away with it and won't bother with it again. I prefer more instant gratification, hit the N button, choose my OS and I'm there. Plus I don't tend to get sidetracked when it's only a couple of seconds AT MOST from one OS to the other.

 

I just added up all the time I spent switching with the N2A card in a week and realized I could have rooted it in a LOT less time than I spent waiting for the device to boot up several times a day. Now..if the card has changed so you don't have to reboot to switch, that would definitely be the easier way to go...otherwise...eh...That is just my opinion though. I'm fine where I am so I won't be switching back to the card.

 

 

 

 

 

 

Bibliophile
5ivedom
Posts: 3,544
Registered: ‎12-03-2011
0 Kudos

Re: How many peolple use GAPPS, Cyanogenmod, N2A etc

Compulsive Reader, what you wrote:

 

*****

I just added up all the time I spent switching with the N2A card in a week and realized I could have rooted it in a LOT less time than I spent waiting for the device to boot up several times a day.

*****

 

Reminds me of what I'd read about switching between browser windows and windows and such.

 

It's one of the biggest sources of unproductivity and loss of focus to always be switching things around.

 

I can't imagine how distracting it would be to restart your Nook just to switch the OS. It's good that they're coming out with a new version.

 

Also that there are other cards that offer switch by pressing the N button (that's what I read).

Inspired Bibliophile
compulsivereaderTX
Posts: 1,119
Registered: ‎01-09-2010
0 Kudos

Re: How many peolple use GAPPS, Cyanogenmod, N2A etc


5ivedom wrote:

Compulsive Reader, what you wrote:

 

*****

I just added up all the time I spent switching with the N2A card in a week and realized I could have rooted it in a LOT less time than I spent waiting for the device to boot up several times a day.

*****

 

Reminds me of what I'd read about switching between browser windows and windows and such.

 

It's one of the biggest sources of unproductivity and loss of focus to always be switching things around.

 

I can't imagine how distracting it would be to restart your Nook just to switch the OS. It's good that they're coming out with a new version.

 

Also that there are other cards that offer switch by pressing the N button (that's what I read).


That would be ideal for many folks..if they only had to press the N to switch like rooting or gapps uses. They would not have to stress over rooting. If I had not alreay done it before, I would probably opt for a card if I didn't have to reboot all the time. But I would probably make my own cause I'm cheap. And I've rooted so I figure I could do it...and I'm cheap. :smileyhappy:

Distinguished Bibliophile
roustabout
Posts: 3,629
Registered: ‎03-31-2011
0 Kudos

Re: How many peolple use GAPPS, Cyanogenmod, N2A etc

The switch via the N button won't be during the running state - it's a way to trigger a choice at boot time of stock versus Cyanogen. 

 

It works on the nook color, I don't know that it works on the tablet, I think it's available for the HD but I have not seen it on the HD+.

 

As far as rebooting goes, although my device is rebooting fairly often, it usually does so unattended and is back in CM10 when I return to it.  I suspect that it's my RSS reader trying to sync and the wifi being down, but my preferred tool for trapping boot logs and crash logs isn't currently working for me on the HD+...

"no warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized." Fourth Amendment to the US Constitution.
Inspired Bibliophile
compulsivereaderTX
Posts: 1,119
Registered: ‎01-09-2010
0 Kudos

Re: How many peolple use GAPPS, Cyanogenmod, N2A etc


roustabout wrote:

The switch via the N button won't be during the running state - it's a way to trigger a choice at boot time of stock versus Cyanogen. 

 

It works on the nook color, I don't know that it works on the tablet, I think it's available for the HD but I have not seen it on the HD+.

 

As far as rebooting goes, although my device is rebooting fairly often, it usually does so unattended and is back in CM10 when I return to it.  I suspect that it's my RSS reader trying to sync and the wifi being down, but my preferred tool for trapping boot logs and crash logs isn't currently working for me on the HD+...


ah...that's not good for me...I didn't like having to reboot to get the choice. I prefer changing OS's without rebooting. I rooted my HD+ at Christmas time but the white on white fix prevented updates, which were badly needed. Rather than rerooting at that time, I just went with the Gapps install as an experiment and I'm content with that for now. If I used more apps, etc it would be different. Rooting is definitely faster and more is available than just installing Gapps. But it's fine for what I need right now. If I have to reboot to change OS's..I'm not interested because my preferred reader is the stock reader and I have to be in stock to read. Even rooted, I spent the majority of my time on the Stock interface. Because I read a lot. A lot.

 

I think it depends on ones usage whether rebooting is a big deal or not. It was a hassle for me to reboot just to spend 10 min in Android and then reboot to switch back all the time. I also do not like the idea of having my Calibre companion app and library inaccessable to me from the stock side where I would prefer to read ALL my books, etc. I like having instant access to my sideloaded content from my stock side. I can use the same app for my content on my HD+ and my sd card. I don't have to install it twice or for 2 different OS's. One app covers it all. Less money to spend, less time setting things up, less time spent rebooting. And for me...less frustration.

 

 

Distinguished Bibliophile
roustabout
Posts: 3,629
Registered: ‎03-31-2011
0 Kudos

Re: How many peolple use GAPPS, Cyanogenmod, N2A etc

I'm using the hybrid HD+ setup now, so /system is on the sdcard, but /data is on internal memory.  There is an additional fix that can be applied to stock to let both systems see internal memory.

 

I use fbreader for most of my book reading and I set up Calibre Companion on both the cm10 and Nook sides to target the same folder.  So I have the same reading experience for books on the Nook side or the cm10 side.  I have a dramatically less stuttery browser in cm10 - I find that I don't miss the "article view" button on stock as much as I'd expected, because the browser is so much faster.  Flipboard works great on either, and I use it quite a bit.

 

The one thing I miss is the simplicity of managing my magazines, but I'm able to read them in fbreader so long as I take the time to sync them up. 

"no warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized." Fourth Amendment to the US Constitution.
Frequent Contributor
LucaToo
Posts: 41
Registered: ‎11-28-2012
0 Kudos

Re: How many people use GAPPS, Cyanogenmod, N2A etc

I'm also currently testing the Hybrid - having tried most of the other methods over the last couple of weeks.

 

One question: I have tested stock HD+ with GAPPS. What difference does rooting make to that (other than being able to access a few apps that need root to run)..? Are you still left with the standard Nook interface (including the white staus bar at bottom of screen and reduced settings options)..?

 

Actually that's two questions...

Inspired Bibliophile
compulsivereaderTX
Posts: 1,119
Registered: ‎01-09-2010
0 Kudos

Re: How many people use GAPPS, Cyanogenmod, N2A etc


LucaToo wrote:

I'm also currently testing the Hybrid - having tried most of the other methods over the last couple of weeks.

 

One question: I have tested stock HD+ with GAPPS. What difference does rooting make to that (other than being able to access a few apps that need root to run)..? Are you still left with the standard Nook interface (including the white staus bar at bottom of screen and reduced settings options)..?

 

Actually that's two questions...


The stock interface appears exactly the same as an unrooted device. And the android interface will appear exactly the same as the gapps. The difference is in the underlying OS that supports both, allowing more apps, more control, speed and performance for web browsing and such. 

Distinguished Bibliophile
roustabout
Posts: 3,629
Registered: ‎03-31-2011
0 Kudos

Re: How many people use GAPPS, Cyanogenmod, N2A etc

The advantage of rooted stock over stock + play store is that there are some UI tweaks available that do require root.

 

For instance, there's a tool to hide the status bar called "Hide Bottom Bar" that works to get rid of the grey bar in the stcok OS.

 

The disadvantage of rooted stock is that it's a much slower interface and apps run much slower.  There's a substantial overhead imposed by the Nook OS, on benchmarks it's about a 15% penalty versus hybid and the feel is very, very different. 

"no warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized." Fourth Amendment to the US Constitution.
Contributor
Long2Read
Posts: 20
Registered: ‎12-31-2011
0 Kudos

Re: How many peolple use GAPPS, Cyanogenmod, N2A etc

[ Edited ]
Here is my humble opinion and experience. I was so frustrated with the apps and slow updates that I took the advice given on xda and burned a card that installed gapps , voice and allows unknown sources so I can install most apps on my hd+. I love it. It does have its downsides but I have all all my BN apps, magazines, and books and I can access all the other apps out there with a few exceptions. I am not rooted though only because the advice said that some apps installed to the system will reset everything. As roustabout mentioned I do notice the system lags a bit but I like that I can just hit the n button (or I installed a and app that runs in the notification bar and allows me to select the launcher I want) and choose to go to stock or not. I also actually like the gray bar at the bottom too because I can just tap it and get to all my bn apps quickly. To me it is as close to the best of both worlds I can get for now.
Frequent Contributor
LucaToo
Posts: 41
Registered: ‎11-28-2012
0 Kudos

Re: How many people use GAPPS, Cyanogenmod, N2A etc

Having tried three methods - GAPPS (no root), Hybrid and N2A my preference at the moment is Hybrid.

 

The only downside at the moment is the number of re-boots required (particularly overnight when as this morning the machine has somehow re-booted into stock OS).

 

For me the advantage of the HD+ was that with N2A or Hybrid it gives you a cheap, relatively high-spec Android device - albeit with a couple of niggles until CM10 and/or N2A run flawlessly.

 

Having said that I may well buy a cheap HD+ (via Manchester bursary 'grey' market) for my wife and run only GAPPS - as she is much more into using the device simply to read and play the occasional game of Candy Crush.

Frequent Contributor
penname2
Posts: 28
Registered: ‎03-09-2013
0 Kudos

Re: How many peolple use GAPPS, Cyanogenmod, N2A etc

The XDA-dev solution is pretty much impossible to follow through on. There are soooo many ways it can go wrong and they write on the assumption that everyone is as into it as they are, so stuff is obvious to them that just doesn't make sense to me.