Inspired Bibliophile
compulsivereaderTX
0 Kudos

Re: How many peolple use GAPPS, Cyanogenmod, N2A etc

[ Edited ]

penname2 wrote:

The XDA-dev solution is pretty much impossible to follow through on. There are soooo many ways it can go wrong and they write on the assumption that everyone is as into it as they are, so stuff is obvious to them that just doesn't make sense to me.

I understand where you are coming from. They don't talk in language the newbie can quickly understand so it can be extremely overwhelming. Also, when you enter a discussion about rooting, the only real pertinent message is the first one that is updated as fixes are made, etc. The rest of the posts are usually made as problems are found as the method is developed or suggestions on how to make it work better. Much how it would be here if BN actually interacted with us as we posted problems, etc with the Nook updates. However, having gone through the birth pangs of the NE1, the NC and the HD+, the xda fixes are usually available much sooner than BN gets around to them and actually address the problems posted. :smileyhappy:

When I first rooted my NE1, it took me awhile to figure things out and I had had it for almost 2 years  Iefore I got up the nerve to do it. I think I had my NC by then so I wasn't as afraid of bricking my NE1.

I just asked questions of rooted nook owners here in the BN forums to help me figure out what the heck they were talking about so I could understand the instructions and what the result would be. I scheduled myself several hours that first time to root the NE1 once I felt confident enough to do it. Then I went very slowly, step by step until I got it down. I think I had to do it twice before I got it right.  Now I've done it a few times, it takes me a fraction of the time to do it now.

I remember the first time I saw a computer and there was a keyboard in front of it and I had no idea what to do with it. :smileyhappy: And there was a time I did not know what an OS or LAN was. I once did not know the difference between memory and space on my 40 Meg hard drive, a time when I was overwhelmed by Windows and thought of it as a virus on my Dos machine. A time I could never have found my way on my own to the BN forums because I had no idea how to find it if there was no big button on the top of the screen to point me there. A time I had to have someone else replace the power supply on my ancient used 386 Dell before I learned to build my own computer (because I was poor and couldn't afford to buy one already put together.) It did help that at the time I was much younger and prettier (as opposed to older and wrinkly) so I was able to enlist my nerdy guy friends to tell me step by step what I needed to buy at the Dell outlet as I could afford it and then later tell me how to put it together. They did not help me put it together, but insisted i needed to learn how to do it myself and I'm forever grateful for that.

Like anything else, you pick up the lingo through exposure and asking questions and as you understand THAT, it starts making sense to you. It is very empowering. :smileyhappy:

Frequent Contributor
penname2
0 Kudos

I certainly intend to write a very very simple how-to.

but I've spent like 6 hours trying to figure it out. I got as far as installing the clockwork mod on a card and...it just doesn't work for me. There's just all this little stuff like how some of them dont do emmc and others do and...how 2.06 breaks some of them, and how 10.1 vs 10 development...it's just too much. 

Inspired Bibliophile
compulsivereaderTX
0 Kudos

If it's any help at all, the one I used is the post: [ROOT/GAPPS] HD/HDplus Stock Root and other Mods - via CWM flashable zips  by Leapinlar.

It was the least confusing, and it is a fairly simple procedure.

Frequent Contributor
penname2
0 Kudos

I've been poring over Leapinlar's stuff and it is still too disorganized for me to really follow
Frequent Contributor
LucaToo
0 Kudos

[ROOT/GAPPS] HD/HDplus Stock Root and other Mods - via CWM flashable zips  by Leapinlar really is more simple than it at first appears.

The most important step is to get the SD card runnig CWM so that you can take a backup of the system before you start.

Once you have done that (and restored it at least once to make sure it works) simple trial and error will get you there.

From that point it is simply a matter of copying a couple of files to the HD+ and installing them via the CWM card.

Also leaplar is quick at responding to posts on the forum so that if you try to install the wrong file - as I did attempting to install CM10 - he will point you in the right direction.

Inspired Contributor
fitbobcat
0 Kudos

I rooted one of my nooks in to a tablet and its great. I used an android for nook micro sd from there website. The only bad thing is to get back in to the nook os you have to take out the card and repower on. It also uses alot more battery on full android mode.
“Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.” ― Groucho Marx
Inspired Bibliophile
compulsivereaderTX
0 Kudos

LucaToo wrote:

[ROOT/GAPPS] HD/HDplus Stock Root and other Mods - via CWM flashable zips  by Leapinlar really is more simple than it at first appears.

__________________________________________________________________________________
Agreed! It looks overly complicated at first until you realize that he simply goes into a lot of explanation of each step trying to help you avoid making a mistake so it can appear more complicated than it is. In it's most simplistic form, it all boils down to this: You download the files you need (provided), install one on your pc or mac, use it to write an image (also provided) onto your sd card. Back up your device just in case, Copy the files to the card that you will use to install root and/or Gapps (Provided) to your device. Turn off device, install card, boot up device, install files, remove sd card, reboot. Register device with BN, sign into Google, sign in to ADE, and any other app you need to do that with, play with and set up your device however you want to as you did to your unrooted device when you first got it, like profiles, etc.
Frequent Contributor
LucaToo
0 Kudos

compulsiveread… I should be getting a new HD+ for my wife today (via the Manchester bursary market) who is also a compulsive reader (currently on her Kindle) at least two to three books a week. What would you recommend out of the available options for her setup..? I have installed all of GAPPS, Hybrid CM10/10.1, N2A at different times on my own HD+ so am quite familier with the methodology invloved. My own thoughts would be along GAPPS with Nook and Kindle apps applied so she can choose where to download from - but she would not want to fiddle with OS like I do or want to manage file transfers from PC etc
Inspired Bibliophile
compulsivereaderTX
0 Kudos

LucaToo wrote:
compulsiveread… I should be getting a new HD+ for my wife today (via the Manchester bursary market) who is also a compulsive reader (currently on her Kindle) at least two to three books a week. What would you recommend out of the available options for her setup..? I have installed all of GAPPS, Hybrid CM10/10.1, N2A at different times on my own HD+ so am quite familier with the methodology invloved. My own thoughts would be along GAPPS with Nook and Kindle apps applied so she can choose where to download from - but she would not want to fiddle with OS like I do or want to manage file transfers from PC etc

Leapinlar's Gapps installation is the same as installing root, just more files to install to root. Not any difference visually as far as I can tell, only in performance. Next time I do it, I'll do root as well. If she mainly uses it to read, Gapps might be enough. If she browses, plays games or watches videos, she would probably be better off rooted just for performance. She'll be less frustrated by lack of speed, etc. 

Don't forget the Calibre Companion app to manage her sideloaded content. Of course, you have to have Calibre on your PC or Mac as well, but it is a must in my opinion as a reader.

You won't need the Nook app as you'll still have complete access to the Nook OS, without rebooting. You can choose to open up books you download in apps in the android menu with the nook reader as well, depending on the app you are using, but many allow you the choice. Calibre Companion does and Aldiko does I think. I no longer use it as Calibre Companion is a better choice for me and is a more complete package, handling transfers to my device and storing files on my PC still I'm ready to read them. Connected, you have access to everything in your calibre library. Offline, it keeps a catalog that tells me exactly what I've sideloaded with covers and details from any metadata that I've downloaded so I'm not stuck wondering what's in the /myfiles directory, though they are listed there as well. It also installs the ebooks into a Calibre Companion folder in your /myfiles folder so you can easily find then if you need to but again, you're stuck with no covers or metadata when you browse them there. If you have Calibre Companion, OD and the Kindle app, you really don't need another reader app unless you don't like the stock reader. Oh...well..You'll need an app for pdf's if she reads those though. The stock reader rather sucks with pdfs. :smileyhappy:

If you have drm'd Kindle books, you'll need the kindle app. Calibre can convert nondrm kindle books to epubs. It also converts pdfs.

Since the Nook store now has OD in it, you won't need an additional copy of that either, just the one from the Nook Store. Anything available in the Nook store does not need to be repurchased. It's already there. You just switch back and forth between the Nook menu and the Android menu to access what you need. 

If she reads magazines, zinio is a good app to have. OD handles audiobooks well. OD does not ONLY do library books. You can use it to download any audiobooks or drm (except Kindle) content from other stores such as Kobo, etc. You just set those stores up as libraries and go there to download your books after you've purchased them. OD handles them same as android reader apps like Aldiko do. The only problem is that you have to read them IN OD and that can be a minus if you don't like to read in OD. WHich is why I prefer to use Calibre Companion, since you can purchase and/or download books from stores within and straight to Calibre for PC on your computer. Even your BN content.

I've tried other reader apps and set ups, but I wasn't really happy until Calibre companion app came available. It is 2.99 but well worth every penny imho.

For non reading needs...I'm clueless. I'm a reader, that's where I concentrate my needs at. My hubby makes sure I have every imaginable app I may or may not need therwise on my IPhone, so they cover my non reading needs. :smileyhappy: He did make me install the roku app and some app for our raspberry pi, and a few video apps to my HD+ but I've barely used them because I think they'll work better if I'm rooted.And I don't watch TV when he's not home so I never use the roku or raspberry pi app. :smileyhappy:

Frequent Contributor
cindylee60
0 Kudos

i finally rooted and installed GAPPS this weekend and couldn't be happier. I got my long battery life back and can switch back to the stock Nook install when I want to read by simply tapping a shortcut on my desktop. I love those guys at XDA Developers!

Wordsmith
AlbionRose
0 Kudos

I have tried N2A - it's great when it works, but it drifts back into Stock os on a regular basis. I have tried burning the image onto 2 different scandsic 32GB class 4 microsd cards, both with the same outcome. So if there is something dodgy about the card reader in my Nook, would I still be able to do the Rooting exercise, or would I get the same issues then too?

And can you go from Android to Stock os and back to Android by pressing the N button, or do you need to reboot for the Stock to Android step?

Thanks!

:smileyhappy:

Frequent Contributor
MarshaInSC
0 Kudos

I am trying N2A and also find the card tapping into the Nook OS.  For example, all my interal music, photos and downloads that are on my stock nook are also available to the N2A card.  This makes me a little nervous.  Just did the download last week, so am still testing it.  I did notice it killed my battery overnight the first night.  Thanks to this thread I found that wifi is the problem.

I think I will try the stock root/GAPPS route soon.  Just have to carve out some time, and the N2A was a quick solution to get my non-Nook items on my HD+.

Inspired Bibliophile
compulsivereaderTX
0 Kudos

AlbionRose wrote:

I have tried N2A - it's great when it works, but it drifts back into Stock os on a regular basis. I have tried burning the image onto 2 different scandsic 32GB class 4 microsd cards, both with the same outcome. So if there is something dodgy about the card reader in my Nook, would I still be able to do the Rooting exercise, or would I get the same issues then too?

And can you go from Android to Stock os and back to Android by pressing the N button, or do you need to reboot for the Stock to Android step?

Thanks!

:smileyhappy:

When rooted, or even just with Gapps, you do NOT have to reboot to switch between the stock and android menus. You just hit N and it asks you which launcher you want to use, you pick and the menu pops up instantly. Once you are rooted, you no longer require an sd card unless you want the additional storage. :smileyhappy:

I don't know a lot about the N2A cards to know if it's a problem with the card, the image on the card or the device. Someone else can answer that.

But it may not be an issue unless the problem is a hardware problem on your device rather than a software issue with the device or card or the card itself.

You never get into the OS when rooting, it's similar to a booting up to a boot disc on a pc. The OS on the device never launches until after the install, removal of sd disk and final reboot. I wouldn't think it would be an issue for you unless it was a hardware issue as the use of bootable disks to repair issues on PC's is pretty standard practice. But I could be wrong, Tech changes so fast and often these days and I don't keep up like I used to do. The nerd hubby would go bananas if he wasn't in control of the tech around here.