New User
Sheridennn
0 Kudos

How much per GB?

I'm going to buy a Nook HD+ but I'm not sure which size. I couldn't find anything about it but I could be blind. But how much can the 16 GB hold and hold much can the 32 GB hold?

Wordsmith
AlbionRose
0 Kudos

Re: How much per GB?

It's hard to say for sure, because it depends on how big the files are.  If you have very high quality video or audio it will take more space than lower quality.

That said, general guidelines seem to be:

16GB: 4,000 songs or 16 hours of video.

32GB: 8,000 songs or 32 hours of video.

And with the Nook HD and HD+ you have the option of adding a class 4 32gb microsd card to augment the memory - a major plus point!

My 16gb HD+ has a 32gb sdcard, and I have 20 gb music - about 12 and a half days if I listened back-to -back.  I also have 10 movies, 250 photos both big and small, and about 70 books, some memory  hungry apps and 8 and a half gig left over.

I know that some contributors to this forum have added a 64 gb card, and for some that has worked well too.

So I guess it depends what you will use it most for.

Good luck with your choice - with the deals around at the moment you are in a great postition!

Inspired Correspondent
mrskooshie
0 Kudos

For the price it is right now, until Sunday, I would definitely get the 32GB.
mrskooshie
Contributor
iloveparis

[ Edited ]
Here are a few considerations: 1) A Nook HD+ will need between 2 and 3 GB to run its basic software. 2) Regular ebooks (primarily text, few images, no audio or video) require little space. On average, one GB will hold about 1,000 "regular" ebooks. 3) Apps, magazines, enhanced books, and catalogs have to go on the internal storage. Some of these files are rather large. 4) Movies can be assigned to internal storage or to a micro SD card. Some HD movies can require 7 GB or space or more. For a $30 difference, I definitely think it is worth doubling a Nook's internal memory, so long as one's budget allows.
Bibliophile
5ivedom
0 Kudos

I'll second all the suggestions to get the higher capacity one.

You can always get an SD card and add that.

However, a 16 GB SD card would cost $15 to $25. Perhaps even more.

Some things (actually lots of things) like apps from Nook Store can't be saved to SD Card.

Additionally there are quite a few bugs with SD Cards because Android uses a file transfer protocol Called MTP and that causes lots of issues with SD Cards.

If you start watching HD movies then space fills up really quickly.

If you can afford $30 extra then the larger capacity one is well worth getting.

Distinguished Bibliophile
roustabout

I have never regretted buying more storage, and often regretted having less.
"no warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized." Fourth Amendment to the US Constitution.
Distinguished Correspondent
DCLOVELL

[ Edited ]

Go with the 32GB especially at the cost this week!

In the past 2-3 months I have been pricing and comparing inexpensive (I.E under the cost of an iPad) tablets.  I was considering the Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 with a nice price point of around $179.00.  the drawback was the memory of 8 GB, 4 of which is used by the operating system.  You can add an SD card, but like many have said, you can't move some apps to the SD card, so....the memory in this device would get taken up quickly.

I have always considered the Nook HD and HD+ but was on the fence about them due to the small app offering.  Well this past week that has all gone away with the opening up of Google Play and now the price drop.  I was going to buy the 16GB HD+ from Walmart for $199.  But then got the email from B&N about their price drop this week.  I decided to order the 32GB HD+ last night.   For $209, I think it's a steal.  Especially with the 32GB memory!!!!

Here's another tip.  I ordered mine by linking to the Ebates.com site.  I will get a 4% rebate on the Nook and I also used my B&N credit card which will give me an additional 5% off as a statement credit.  If you don't have a B&N credit card, sign up for one and you will get the 5% off and a $25.00 B&N gift card after your first purchase.

Using the above method of purchase has brought my net cost on the 32GB HD+ down to $190.25 plus tax!

Contributor
TomB57
0 Kudos

AlbionRose wrote:

My 16gb HD+ has a 32gb sdcard, and I have 20 gb music - about 12 and a half days if I listened back-to -back.  I also have 10 movies, ....

I'm struggling to get my movies to work from the SD card. They won't play from there and dragging them from internal memory to mounted SD results in an error message. Did you experience similar difficulties?

Inspired Scribe
kamas716
0 Kudos

TomB57 wrote:

AlbionRose wrote:

My 16gb HD+ has a 32gb sdcard, and I have 20 gb music - about 12 and a half days if I listened back-to -back.  I also have 10 movies, ....

I'm struggling to get my movies to work from the SD card. They won't play from there and dragging them from internal memory to mounted SD results in an error message. Did you experience similar difficulties?

I have some movies on an SD card for my wife's 8GB HD.  They play fine.  I prefer using the Movie Gallery App as it allows me to change the screen size to something less squished.

http://www.goodreads.com/kamas716
Wordsmith
AlbionRose
0 Kudos

Hi Tom

I haven't had any problem viewing movies on from my SD card.

I converted the movies using DVD catalyst to Nook HD + format on my pc.  (When I click on file properties, they show as MP4 files.)  I then copied them to the SD card using an SD card reader which I plugged into my pc.  I put them in 'My files>Videos' on the SD card.

The native 'Gallery' app found them ok, as did Movie Gallery App.  Both DVD catalyst and the Movie Gallery App come from the same stable, and I have found both to be excellent.

I do have some home movies that I converted to MP4 format, but I think they are on my device rather than the SD card.

The SD card that I am using is a class 4 32GB scandisk one - I know that some people have had issues with some other cards. Others haven't.

I have also had issues with moving files around my HD+, so I always copy a file to the new location and then delete it from the old location using my pc to be on the safe side.

I hope that you resolve your problem with viewing your movies :smileyhappy: