Correspondent
DonMN
0 Kudos
Accepted Solution

How to add PDF to Home Screen or Shelf?

I tried to add a PDF file to the Home Screen by pressing on the screen then selecting Library / My Files. What I see is a list of seemingly random files, no way to navigate to where my PDF files are. If I try to add a PDF file to a shelf, there is no option to select from My Files. Can anyone help or offer another option?
Distinguished Scribe
NookGardener
0 Kudos

Re: How to add PDF to Home Screen or Shelf?

The MyFiles doesnt seem to sort in alpha order right now. When you go to MyFiles, use the do hicky to the right to see your folders. (When you look below, its showing you everything in the sub folders too -- all mixed up.) Easier to locate things that way. You can also createa separate pdf folder (dont have to put it under MyFiles) to licate even quicker.
Correspondent
DonMN

The "do hickey to the right" is not available when you are adding things to the home page, if I understand you correctly. You must be tapping on the Library icon on the home page and then scrolling down to My Files. I am pressing on an open spot on the home page which after a second or two allows you to drag items to the home page. You see tabs for Library, Apps, Wallpapers, and Bookmarks. You select the tab for the type of item you want to add to the home page. The list of available items scrolls left and right. No subfolders appear in My Files.
Bibliophile
5ivedom
0 Kudos

Thanks DonMN. I wasn't aware you could do that. That's a neat way to drag things on to the Home Page.

Distinguished Scribe
NookGardener

@DonMN, Oops... only gave you half the info... (Not one of my better replies.)  Sorry about that.  I'll try again .

Yes, you can add a pdf to a shelf and to the home screen.  But as you have correctly pointed out, B&N has made it more difficult (vs the NT which was fairly easy) which either means 1) maybe we shouldn't do this or 2) they just don't want to hear the complaints. (PDF's look so-so on a shelf, but awful on the home screen.)  I'm going with #2.  I'll tell you how and you can decide for yourself.

Go to My Library. Create a new shelf by selecting the icon in the lower left corner (Create New Shelf.)  Give it a name.  Select any epub and then save.  (You need to do this to create your shelf.  It doesn't matter which epub.  It can be deleted later.) 

You are still in MyLibrary at this point.  Go to MyFiles.  Find the pdf you want to add.  Do NOT tap the pdf, but firmly press it in the center for a few seconds until the following options appear: 

Add to Home

Add to Shelf

Remove from Shelf

Clear Default Launcher

Delete.

Pick "Add to Shelf."  It will appear on the shelf as a red rectangle with the file name below.  Not especially pretty, and no, no way to change this to a "preview" that I can see. (On the NT, they were gray rectangles I think.)  Once you are done adding all your pdf's to the shelf, go back to your shelf.  Locate the epub you used to create the shelf, firmly hold it until the options appear again and remove that epub from your shelf.  And there you have it, a bunch of red rectangles with their names under them on a shelf. (Not especially pretty, but functional.)

If you want to add a pdf to the home screen, locate the pdf and follow the steps above to get the option "Add to Home."  This is were it gets really ugly.  The pdf will appear as a red rectangle with a "p" in the middle and no file name.  So if there is one pdf you are reading and want quick access to, it will "kind of" work.  But if you add more than one, there is no way to tell them apart (no file name.)  Again, on the NC/NT they were gray rectangles but they did contain the file name.  There were LOTS of complaints about the rectangles. 

The above works for documents that are saved directly to your device.  I have not tried it with documents on a SD card (and frankly I am not going to bother.)  

If you plan to work with a lot of pdfs and need to move them back and forth from your HD to a PC, there is a much easier way to arrange your documents.  Just create some folders in MyFiles with your "shelves" names.  And then use either ezPdf or Repligo Reader.  Both of these have an option where will locate all folders that have pdf's in them.  Open the folder you want, and you are in your "shelf".  And no worry of your "shelves" dissappearing because you deleted content. 

Hope that helps.   

Distinguished Correspondent
junonia-shell
0 Kudos

I have everything that I have sideloaded on sd card. Books, music, videos, and PDF's. I agree the PDF's are butt ugly on the shelf and home screen with no way to tell which are which. Since the recent update, everything has stayed put on the shelves, I have about 35, but when you go to library, there is a little hesitation before everything comes up. I do have 1 question though. When you long press on either a book, PDF, or app, on any of the 5 panels of where your stuff is located, what is the difference between "Remove from desktop" and "Do not show on home"? Thanks for any replies.

Correspondent
DonMN
0 Kudos

Thanks for the reply, NookGardener, but maybe you are on a different software version than me (2.0.5). When I long press on a PDF file the only options that show are Clear Default Launcher and Delete. If I long press on an epub file the options that show are Add to Home, Add to Shelf, and Delete. In my method of long pressing on the home screen, there seems to be a big problem of how files are listed in My Files. There seems to be no logic as to what appears there. I even deleted on of the files that was in the list and it still reamains in the list. I think I will try powering down and see if it remains in the list. If we figure out this one, my next question will be - can you add a shelf or folder to the home screen?
Distinguished Scribe
NookGardener
0 Kudos

junonia-shell wrote:

I have everything that I have sideloaded on sd card. Books, music, videos, and PDF's. I agree the PDF's are butt ugly on the shelf and home screen with no way to tell which are which. Since the recent update, everything has stayed put on the shelves, I have about 35, but when you go to library, there is a little hesitation before everything comes up. I do have 1 question though. When you long press on either a book, PDF, or app, on any of the 5 panels of where your stuff is located, what is the difference between "Remove from desktop" and "Do not show on home"? Thanks for any replies.

Good to know that sd sideloaded content is remaining stable.  Am seeing a little hesitation in the shelves coming up as well.  The more I add, the longer it takes. (Kind of makes sense.)  But as long as it doesn't dissappear, I don't care.  As far as what "Remove from desktop" does, am totally clueless. (I did it, the document is still on the device.)  Maybe someone else knows.

Distinguished Scribe
NookGardener
0 Kudos

DonMN wrote:
Thanks for the reply, NookGardener, but maybe you are on a different software version than me (2.0.5). When I long press on a PDF file the only options that show are Clear Default Launcher and Delete. If I long press on an epub file the options that show are Add to Home, Add to Shelf, and Delete. In my method of long pressing on the home screen, there seems to be a big problem of how files are listed in My Files. There seems to be no logic as to what appears there. I even deleted on of the files that was in the list and it still reamains in the list. I think I will try powering down and see if it remains in the list. If we figure out this one, my next question will be - can you add a shelf or folder to the home screen?

I'm on version 2.0.5 (got it as soon as it came out.)  Have absolutely no clue why we are seeing different options. 

Re: your question/comment bolded above.  This is what my very poorly worded reply of yesterday was referring to. 

If you go to MyLibrary, then MyFiles, then select the ">" option to the right (otherwise known as the "do hickey":smileylol:), you should see some folders.  At fresh install prior to installing any apps or anything else, it should be empty.  As soon as you start downloading apps, etc. certain folders are created.  So excluding all the folders I created, I currently have:

log

Download

ezPDF Reader (which has subfolders in it)

MyFiles (which has subfolders in it)

Overdrive (which has subfolders in it)

At the bottom of the screen on the left hand side, you should see an A with a Z under it.  This shouldgive you the option to sort by title or recent.  But sorting by title currently doesn't work. I can select this all day and the order doesn't change.

Now, if you go back to MyLibrary, My Files, and look BELOW MyFiles, what you are seeing is all the files (including EVERYTHING in all the subfolders mentioned above) with the most recently installed file listed first. (Doesn't have to be anything you feel you opened.)  And no, I wouldn't go deleting files willy,nilly this way.  You don't know what file goes with what app. You are 100% correct -- it appears to have no logic to it.  But it does have a logic --- the most recent is the most important. (BTW, happen to agree with you that it's not logical, but Android thinks it does.)

There is a free app called "Open Explorer."  If you get it, it might help you see what's going on with the folder/file structure.

Let me know if that makes sense (or not, :smileyvery-happy:)

Bibliophile
laurieb52

@Juniona,

Remove from home gets rid of the icon on the carousel; remove from desktop removes any icons you specifically place on one of the 5 home screens.

Life's a chair of bowlies...and it's all about Plan B!
Distinguished Correspondent
junonia-shell
0 Kudos

Thank you so much! Now I get it. I don't have the carousel enabled so I thought they were both meant for the same function.
Correspondent
DonMN
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

NookGardener, we are talking about two different things. You are talking about tapping on the Library icon on the home screen and going down to My Files where the total count of files is shown in parenthesis. I am talking about long pressing on an open spot on the home screen which opens up four tabs on the lower part of the screen underneath which is a list of items which can be dragged up to the home screen. Select the Library tab and you will see Books, Magazines, Apps, Kids, and My Files left to right. Select My Files and you will see a list of files. This list will likely be different from the list you see when you use the Library icon. It is for me. And there are no folders listed.

I powered down the Nook and after it restarted the list of files changed and included the two PDF files I was working with. Strangely, the label for the file was not the file name, but some internal name from the pdf metadata. Also, one showed up with the default book cover icon, but I suspect this one is a copy of the PDF in a Dropbox folder.

I have Open Explorer installed and it is very useful to find where files are stored.

(I had to edit this on the PC to get the paragraph breaks.  On the Nook, they don't seem to work.)

Correspondent
Wulfraed

You have to set the browser to "desktop" view to get line breaks to take.

Baron Wulfraed
Correspondent
DonMN
0 Kudos

Thanks, Wulfraed. I did not have that option set.
Distinguished Scribe
NookGardener
0 Kudos

DonMN wrote:

NookGardener, we are talking about two different things. You are talking about tapping on the Library icon on the home screen and going down to My Files where the total count of files is shown in parenthesis. I am talking about long pressing on an open spot on the home screen which opens up four tabs on the lower part of the screen underneath which is a list of items which can be dragged up to the home screen. Select the Library tab and you will see Books, Magazines, Apps, Kids, and My Files left to right. Select My Files and you will see a list of files. This list will likely be different from the list you see when you use the Library icon. It is for me. And there are no folders listed.

I powered down the Nook and after it restarted the list of files changed and included the two PDF files I was working with. Strangely, the label for the file was not the file name, but some internal name from the pdf metadata. Also, one showed up with the default book cover icon, but I suspect this one is a copy of the PDF in a Dropbox folder.

{snip}

"We are talking about two different things."  We are but we're not.  You originally asked how to add a PDF to Home Screen or Shelf.  I just outlined a different method to do it. 

Re: Your second point bolded above.  I sideloaded several hundred pdf's yesterday.  They are ALL titled.  Using your method of accessing them, totally agree with you --- order seems to be most recently accessed, a good portion are marked "untitled", and some are picking up metadata as the titles.  Oh and I can't see them all.  IMO, Android fixates on the most recent as the most important; while occassionally useful, most of the time, I can't locate what I want that way. 

Was just trying to help you reach what I thought was the goal(s) --- add the pdf to the Home Screen or Shelf. 

Correspondent
Wulfraed

Worse -- the metadata for PDFs that the Nook picks up may not be the same metadata other applications use.

I used Calibre to edit the metadata for a group of radio manuals... The edits for title, etc. took for three of them. The fourth PDF, however, is still seen by the Nook as "...P65"

Baron Wulfraed
Correspondent
DonMN

NookGardener, I really appreciate your responses and assistance.  I didn't mean to sound like I was complaining.  Sometimes what a person writes comes across different than what was intended.

I was trying to clarify what I thought was a miscommunication.  You had quoted my message and bolded a section that you were specifically replying to. The bolded part of my message referred to the My Files that you see when you long press on the home screen.  Your answer discussed the My Files that you see when you press on the Library icon.

As to the order of the list of files and what determines which files are in the list, I have no clue at this point.  In my list of files under My Files (from the home screen long press) there is a file named "apache" which has always been in the list. This is not a file that I have accessed recently. Using Open Explorer, I found that it is a file named apache.html in the directory for one of the apps I have installed and contains the Apache license information. The fact that you have to reboot the Nook to refresh the file list seems to be a serious problem.

As far as this being an Android thing, I would think that some of these features are specific to the Nook and the Nook code should be controlling what files are listed.  Is the way that you add items to the home screen (or desktop) in Android 4.0 for generic tablets the same as on the Nook HD/HD+?  I have an Android 4.0 phone where there are tabs for Widgets, Apps, and Shortcuts when you long press on the desktop.  There are no options for adding book, magazines, or files. Incidently, the Nook User Guide includes Widgets as one of the types of items that you can add to the home screen, but is not available on the current version of software on the Nook. I would guess that this was a feature pulled so they could meet the announced release date. I'm hoping this feature will be included in a future update.

In any case, I was able to accomplish what I originally set out to do, add PDFs to the home screen.  There still is the problem that all PDF files on the home screen look alike and that a restart of the Nook is requred to refresh the list of files.

Distinguished Scribe
NookGardener

DonMN, you're right.  Sometimes the internet is a difficult place on which to communicate, and what we write isn't what was intended.  Mea culpa on my end too.  (It would be so much easier if we could actually see what the other is doing, instead of writing it out step by step, wouldn't it.)

The important thing is that you now have red rectangles on your home screen!:smileyhappy: (That was a joke by the way.)  Hope you enjoy your new device!

Correspondent
DonMN
0 Kudos

Wulfraed, thanks for the Calibre tip.  I played with Calibre just a very little about a year ago, but did not really have a need for it.

So I installed the latest version of Calibre and used it to update the metadata on one of my PDF files.  I assumed Calibre was primarily used with epub files and did not know it worked with PDFs. I copied the updated PDF file to two places on my Nook, the Download directory and the the "My Files / Books" directory.  Both copies appear in the list of files available to drag to the home screen, but one has the PDF icon and the other has the generic book cover icon with the metadata name.  And I did not have to restart the Nook to have them show up in the file list. (Don't know why I had to do a restart earlier.)

So the solution is - copy your PDFs to the My Files / Books directory, edit the metadata name with Calibre if necessary to identify it, then long press on the home screen, select Library / My Files, and drag the file to the home screen.

Thanks to all who responded to this post.

Correspondent
DonMN
0 Kudos

NookGardener, you may have supplied the key to the other part of my question.  How to add a PDF to a shelf. (Although I think you said this was already working for you.)

I was thinking that if where a file is located determines what icon is displayed, then maybe the options available when you long press on a file is also determined by where the file is located.  So I pressed on the Library icon on the home screen, went down to My Files, pressed on the "do hickey" or ">" to see the list of files and folders, pressed on the My Files folder, pressed on the Books folder, and finally long pressed on my PDF file and now the option to Add to Shelf is available.

Well, the answer is not that simple. I went into the Download folder to confirm what options are available when I long press on the PDF files in that directory.  I get mixed results.  On the copy of the PDF where I edited the metadata with Calibre, options Add to Home, Add to Shelf, Clear Default Launcher, and Delete are available.  On the other PDFs in this directory, only options Clear Default Launcher and Delete are available.

In anycase, a PDF can be added to a shelf.  But you may need to edit the metadata with Calibre.