Frequent Contributor
EasyAs123
0 Kudos

How to get books purchased at Sony Store onto my Nook HD+

I have a Sony PRS-350 and a Sony PRS-t1. I was lucky enough to snag a Nook HD+ with the $90 sale plus the $90 coupon ($119+ tax for the 32 gb). Can some one walk me through how I cann get the books I purchased from the Sony Store onto my Nook HD+ without using the Sony Reader App?.

I put the Sony Reader app on my Nook, but I hate that you cannot delete any books with it. Is there an easy workaround? Can I sideload and by-pass the Sony Reader? What about the DRM?

I'm new to allt his so help is greatly appreciated.

Distinguished Bibliophile
keriflur
0 Kudos

Re: How to get books purchased at Sony Store onto my Nook HD+

Sony books use standard Adobe ADEPT DRM, so you can use ADE to sideload books to your nook.

I don't know the process for the HD+; hopefully someone who knows it will chime in.

Distinguished Scribe
NookGardener
0 Kudos

Sony PRS-350 didnt have wifi, right? Youre using the Sony Reader pc software, downloading your books to your pc, and syncing? If so, you should be able to just copy the epubs onto your HD (put them in a folder.) You'll need to authorize your HD for ADE (its under Settings.)

Have tried downloading directly from Sony site to HD and havent figured how to get it to work or a workaround.

Distinguished Correspondent
celandinehobbit
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

EasyAs123 wrote:

I have a Sony PRS-350 and a Sony PRS-t1. I was lucky enough to snag a Nook HD+ with the $90 sale plus the $90 coupon ($119+ tax for the 32 gb). Can some one walk me through how I cann get the books I purchased from the Sony Store onto my Nook HD+ without using the Sony Reader App?.

I put the Sony Reader app on my Nook, but I hate that you cannot delete any books with it. Is there an easy workaround? Can I sideload and by-pass the Sony Reader? What about the DRM?

I'm new to allt his so help is greatly appreciated.

I'd also be curious as to how to do this. My first ereader was the PRS-505 and the device still works, though it more or less just sits unused now. Would love to discover how to get the books off it and perhaps sell it or give it to a friend or family member interested in it. 

Distinguished Scribe
NookGardener
0 Kudos

Are you asking how to clear the device of all your books? If so, use the reset button and a paperclip. Reset button is on bottom or back.

Frequent Contributor
EasyAs123

I have gotten all my Sony Books onto the HD+ by logging in and downloading my books.However, they show up in the nook library without covers. When I open them, they ask if I want to use OverDrive Media or the Sony Reader to read them. They won't simply open in the Nook. Why is that? I'm assuming it has something to do with the DRM? I would like for them to have covers. Also, some of the books I cannot delete. Not certain why.

Bibliophile
5ivedom
0 Kudos

1) Sideloaded books not having covers is a common issue. Search for Compulsive Reader to find how to get covers by using Calibre.

2) The other issue is a HD+ issue where deleted files sometimes still show up.

3) Sony store DRM (Adope) is supported by B&N. So you should get the option to open in Nook's in-built reader. Not sure why you aren't getting that option. I used to sideload from Kobo Store to Nook devices and it would work fine.

Distinguished Scribe
NookGardener

EasyAs123, 

If you sideload your Sony books (from computer to Hd), turn your ADE account on HD, you can read them in the nook reader. You'll stilll need to play with calibre first for the covers like 5ivedom suggested if you want to see them.

Frequent Contributor
EasyAs123
0 Kudos

Just geting back to this thread. Thanks for all the responses. Since I'm just getting reset up on my Nook HD+ 32 gb I need to revisit this.

I really, really want to like my Nook, but sometimes....In the little over the month that I've had it, they did a factory reset in the store (apps in the cloud) and then replaced it (stuck at 99%).

Now I'm trying to figure out how to get my library books to be read in the "native" nook reader. I despise OverDrive Media's interface. I was actually getting my 12 yo son to READ (yeah!), but he can't stand it either.

Anyone have directions for a newbie to use ODM to get library books, but use something else to actually read the books? It worked so seamlessly on my Sonys. Please?

Bibliophile
bklvr896
0 Kudos

EasyAs123 wrote:

Just geting back to this thread. Thanks for all the responses. Since I'm just getting reset up on my Nook HD+ 32 gb I need to revisit this.

I really, really want to like my Nook, but sometimes....In the little over the month that I've had it, they did a factory reset in the store (apps in the cloud) and then replaced it (stuck at 99%).

Now I'm trying to figure out how to get my library books to be read in the "native" nook reader. I despise OverDrive Media's interface. I was actually getting my 12 yo son to READ (yeah!), but he can't stand it either.

Anyone have directions for a newbie to use ODM to get library books, but use something else to actually read the books? It worked so seamlessly on my Sonys. Please?

Here's what I did.

1.  Activated my ADE account on my Nook HD.

2.  Downloaded my library books onto my computer using ADE.

3. Connected my Nook HD to my PC.  My Nook HD displays as MyNook in Windows Explorer on my computer.  I've heard others show up as BVNT or something like that.  I'm not sure how that impacts the steps I took.

4.  Using Windows Explorer, copied them to MyNook (My Nook HD).  I believe I copied them into the Files section, books folder.  I'm not at home right now, so I can't check.

I was able to read my library book using the Nook reader by copying the book directly to the reader, not through ADE but using Windows Explorer.

When I get home, I will look at my Nook and see if I can figure out exactly where I copied the book.  But I know that I had to activate my ADE account on the Nook HD before I did anything else.

Distinguished Scribe
NookGardener
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

You might want to check out the Aldiko app on the GP store. Someone mentioned that you can set it up to your library and directly download to device. And supposed to be nicer than OverDrive!

Frequent Contributor
EasyAs123
0 Kudos

Thanks for the tips bklvr and NookGardner. If I only had more free time it would be so much easier! Hard to work thru the learning curve when working in fits and starts. Aldiko has been on my to-do list, along with investingating Calibre. So much to learn. Unfortunately, haven't gotten much "hands on" help from our local B&N Store.