Inspired Correspondent
thans56
0 Kudos

I HATE my Nook HD!

I'm sooooo beyond fed up with my Nook HD plus! Seems like each day it gets more hinky in all sorts of ways. I have to tap numerous times on a clean screen to get it to respond, scrolling and page turning are slow, internet connection is slow - odd my ipad and Kindle don't have any problems with internet at all - so why does the Nook. Finding tons of books recently with no description other than size and basic info. Not buying a book with no idea of what it's about! And I could go on and on with other issues. I wish I had never bought the HD and just kept my Nook Tablet which I never had problems with. And to make things worse . . BN just flat doesn't seem to care! Seems like every update just messes it up even more. Seriously ready to throw hd in trash and just read off my ipad!!!!!
Distinguished Correspondent
celandinehobbit

Re: I HATE my Nook HD!

I'm honestly perplexed by these reviews. I've had my HD+ for three months now and havent had a problem of any kind. Seriously. The experience was so good, I went out and bought the HD as well for the days when the other is just to big to carry around. The experience is still stellar and I absolutely love both. 

I'm not doubting your troubles, just confused as to why some have the greatest experience ever with a device and why some don't. 

Frequent Contributor
eaglewomanEP
0 Kudos

I've had my HD+ since Christmas, and love everything about it.I had a NOOK color for 2 years before that.

i have never had any of the problems I read about on the forums. It does just exactly what I wanted it to do when I got it. Relly love the fact that I can buy the adapter and hook it to the TV for movie watching.

Contributor
TheWind
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

thans56 wrote:
I'm sooooo beyond fed up with my Nook HD plus! Seems like each day it gets more hinky in all sorts of ways. I have to tap numerous times on a clean screen to get it to respond, scrolling and page turning are slow, internet connection is slow - odd my ipad and Kindle don't have any problems with internet at all - so why does the Nook. Finding tons of books recently with no description other than size and basic info. Not buying a book with no idea of what it's about! And I could go on and on with other issues. I wish I had never bought the HD and just kept my Nook Tablet which I never had problems with. And to make things worse . . BN just flat doesn't seem to care! Seems like every update just messes it up even more. Seriously ready to throw hd in trash and just read off my ipad!!!!!

Atleast you'll throw it in the trash can and not pollute. Others have said they'll toss it in the lake or bathtub.

Serious yo, reset it, hold the power until its off. That would fix it. My Fire glitches out like crazy too btw.

Wicked witch of the West, don't $%#@ with me.
Bibliophile
5ivedom

interesting.

I found that there were problems but B&N has been fixing them via updates.

So it's gotten better.

A lot of the problems you mention seem to be related to some app running in background and eating up memory OR perhaps just Nook needing to be reset.

a) Clean screen.

b) Press and hold power button and n button for 30 seconds.

That should clear up a lot of stuff.

If not, then get App Killer and see if you have any strange apps running.

Wordsmith
AlbionRose
0 Kudos

For your Browser issues, try clearing the cache  - no arrows on my hook keyboard, so imagine - is an arrow: browser - settings- browser- privacy & security-clear cache should help :smileyhappy:

Inspired Scribe
Doreenpv

No major issues here either.

I am sorry you are having so many probs. But do try some of the suggestions mentioned above.

Inspired Wordsmith
julestrik

I love the Dolphin app for web browsing. I also love my Nook HD+. No device is without it's problems. Keep your screen clean. Use a screen protector film. Take a deep breath and try to solve the problems rather than throw tantrums. I have had a few problems but nothing serious, but I have always found solutions on the B&N . Just be patient.
Contributor
jukin

I've been in two minds whether to get a Nook HD+ ever since January. I have a Nook Tablet and only really use it for reading books and magazines, and playing a few games and for that it's perfect. The only downside for me is that I'd like a screen size large enough to be able to read a magazine without having to zoom or use the article button. However, having seen so many negative postings regarding the Nook HD it seems like staying with the Tablet makes sense for while. The one major issue with the HD for me is the way that Shelves have not been properly implemented with the HD. I usually have around 1000 books on my Nook (SD card) and so working shelves are essential for me. Plus of course there seems to be a whole bunch of other issues people are finding that make me even more reluctant to go for it. I keep reading these forums to see what, if any, upgrades there's been to fix the problems but I'm not convinced yet. I do love the Tablet and am glad I didn't follow my initial inpulse to dive in and get a Nook HD+ back in January.

BTW. I haven't seen one post on this thread where a poster has slammed the OP or been sarky to him/her. That says a lot for the people here. I also have a Kindle Keyboard and if you've ever read the Kindle forums on Amazon you'll know that if anyone dares to suggest that the Kindle(s) are less than perfect, loads of little goblins appear to mock and be quite abusive to the poster. Nice to see that people here are of a different calibre.

Inspired Wordsmith
BFCoughlin

I can only speak from my own experience: I have had the HD+ since Day 1 (pre-ordered and had one waiting for me at the store) and I love it.  I have absolutely NO regrets.  There *WAS* a problem with shelves disappearing, but that has been resolved.  I don't have near the number of books you have, so I can't comment on whether or not current shelving would work for you.

I have the NC--the whole reason I bought into the B&N ecosystem, because at that time, it was the only color option.  It was way ahead of its time.  I loved reding National Geographic on it, but I hated having to zoom in all the time. I bought the HD+ to have a better experience with photo intensive magazines like NG and other photography publications.  I've since cancelled my paper subscriptions to them because the HD+ experience is so much better. As far as books--I was surprised to find that I prefer reading them on the larger screen.  Kinda like hard copy over paperback.  And the HD+ is light enough that it's not wearing to hold.  I feel a little guilty at abandoning my NC, but I find myself preferring the HD+ over it.

Downside for me (and I don't know how different this would be with an Android tablet or iPad--can't afford the latter, so it's moot): the HD+ is fine for reading on the Web, but all too often, when one wants to respond, the virtual keyboard covers the text box area.  I can't touch type on a real  keyboard much less a virtual one, so it's pretty much useless for e.g. commenting on posts by fellow photo bloggers.

Overall, though, I am very happy with it.  Could be an iPad is better--for twice the price.  Dunno.  I just know that I got my money's worth and I enjoy using it every day.

Inspired Correspondent
bestem
0 Kudos

BFCoughlin wrote:

Downside for me (and I don't know how different this would be with an Android tablet or iPad--can't afford the latter, so it's moot): the HD+ is fine for reading on the Web, but all too often, when one wants to respond, the virtual keyboard covers the text box area.  I can't touch type on a real  keyboard much less a virtual one, so it's pretty much useless for e.g. commenting on posts by fellow photo bloggers.

Have you looked into a bluetooth keyboard?  I don't have the spare money to get one, so I don't know if you'd still see the touch keyboard if you were linked with a bluetooth one, but it might be worth it to go into a tech store like Best Buy and see if they have a display one you can connect to your Nook to see how it behaves.  I keep looking at the Microsoft Wedge keyboard at work, and thinking about buying it, because there are some features to it I really like (it's got a cover, so all that stuff that makes its way into the bottom of your bag can't get between the keys when you're transporting it.  also, when the cover is on the keyboard automatically turns off, which saves battery life, and when it's off it can turn into a stand for a tablet) but I can't justify spending a quarter of my paycheck on one.

Reader 4
emmkaytee
0 Kudos

No, the on-screen keyboard does not appear when the Bluetooth keyboard is being used.  The thing that annoyed me immensely about both my Nooks was that I couldn't seem to hit my target on a Web page, either with my finger or a stylus.  I fixed this with a Bluetooth mouse, and found that (for forms, etc., not documents) I frequently just use the mouse on the on-screen keyboard rather than bothering to pull the physical keyboard out of my bag.  Now, if they would just fix Read In-Store (fat chance!)  I would be quite happy with the entire deal.

Bibliophile
5ivedom

jukin,

1) What BFCoughlin wrote.

I think there's a small chance you might get a lemon, in which case you can get a replacement. However, Nook HD+ is pretty decent. I bought it at launch and it's worked great for me.

With my Nook HD, it's been a good experience too. Though the only way it'll connect to my Windows 8 PC is by restarting both.

2) Regarding this:

BTW. I haven't seen one post on this thread where a poster has slammed the OP or been sarky to him/her. That says a lot for the people here. I also have a Kindle Keyboard and if you've ever read the Kindle forums on Amazon you'll know that if anyone dares to suggest that the Kindle(s) are less than perfect, loads of little goblins appear to mock and be quite abusive to the poster. Nice to see that people here are of a different calibre.

I stopped going to Amazon forums. It's all because of just a small handful of users who are very negative. Amazon really should moderate that forum better.

I also like the forum structure here better.

Frequent Contributor
Opa-MN
0 Kudos

I too am upset but not with the actual working of the HD+.  I have had no problems with the device, but I feel that B&N pulled a bait and switch.  I have had my HD+ since November 5th and have not had any problems other than it being an Android device that can't use most of the apps out there.  I had hoped that the HD+ would be the best of both worlds as a great tablet and a great reader.  I think if I could get most of my money back I would be looking for a deal on an iPad and use the B&N app to read. I want to say again I would not use the word hate, but I sure am disappointed.

Inspired Correspondent
thans56
0 Kudos

Not my first Nook, I've tried EVERY suggestion here and nothing seems to help.  Thanks for the ideas and suggestions everyone.

Noticed yet ANOTHER issue today . . .  in the shop where the Daily Find is shown . . . the prices shown there do not match the correct sale price.  I've been passing up things because of the price and just discovered today that when I tap on book to read about it THEN the correct sale price shows up.

Gee, and BN wonders why ebook sales dropped so drastically for them last year!  DUHHHH.

It's just things like this that keep me irritated with them and my Nook.

Reader
FreeEagle2x
0 Kudos

Foor me, the first few mnths were fine-but then...Slowly things started to act up and go wrong. I took these errors as "quirks", not anticipating the compound affect. Bottom line, as much as I love b&n, they either are (playing) stupid or just don't care about products already sold and out the door.

If I had extra $ I would definitely call this purchase a loss and explore replacing it with a superior, reliable, and company guaranteed/certified-not just pretending to care their product.

Wordsmith
AlbionRose

I'm sorry you are having a bad experience with your Nook.

I know it is a real pain to do, but a factory reset can help to restore performance.  If you really want your old Nook back, I would suggest doing a reset, and if that doesn't help take it into a store.  The B&N store folk seem to generally be very helpful.

Reader 2
Deetimes20

WOW!! I've been looking all over and you are the first one I've seen who even mentions the Read In Store problem!!! I thought it was just me!

I can open a book, but if I go back to the store days, weeks, even months later, I can't open that book. It says I have reached the hour limit for the day. Is that the problem you are having? I can open ANOTHER book, but not the one I was reading. Every time I check with the Nook "expert" they say they haven't heard anything about it. So they call Customer Support and they say they never heard anything about this problem!! They had me re-register the darn thing three different times!!!

I also don't like that the keyboard covers the typing area, and I shouldn't have to spend MORE money just to use their product. When people have asked me, I tell them they may as well get a cheapo tablet and download the nook app. There is no real plus to getting the actual Nook any more.

Frequent Contributor
emmyk

If you search these fora for "Read In Store" you'll find extensive documentation of the fact that it doesn't work as advertised.  It was investigated and reported to the development group as a formal problem by the folks at my local store almost 3 years ago.  Clearly, Barnes and Noble doesn't intend to fix it.  Think of it as an opportunity to read a book for up to an hour (don't exit the book while you're at it!), but don't expect to be able to read that same book again on that Nook using Read In-Store.  Occasionally, some other event will cause a reset of the tracking info and you'll get another crack at it.  Don't rely on it, though. Clearly some extremely sloppy programming at work here!

Distinguished Correspondent
lochnez

So let I get this straight, you're complaining that you can't go to a store on Saturday and read a book, for free, for an hour, then read the same book, for free, on Sunday? The purpose of the freebie is to entice you to buy the book, not frequent the store. How many sales would they lose if they did that? Gees, people, corporate greed is rampant in this country, but not in this case. You get a free sample and complain you can't have seconds?