Contributor
Utenahime

I have had it with this stupid thing (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

I bought a Nook HD for one reason only - to read comic books.

Barnes and Noble just made it impossible to read 95% of the material on my Nook. It's bad enough that your stupid design flaw burns my hands, but now I literally can not use it for its primary purpose. I am so furious right now, 

Seriously, I want my money back. 

Reader 4
Tsax

Re: I have had it with this stupid thing (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Actually, they didn't.

All you need to do is simply go to the Google Play Store. They have 100s of FREE comic book apps to solve your problem. Just launch Google Play (or go there on your PC), and do a search for "cbz readers". Then, all that left if choosing which reader (or readers) you want on your tablet.

Hope this helps.

Distinguished Correspondent
jamartMF

Is your Nook overheating.  I just discovered on mine if the brightness is up to high it overheats.  Try turning down the brightness to a little more than half way and see if that helps. This may not be your problem but I wanted to suggest it in case it is.

Contributor
Utenahime

I appreciate the attempt at helping, but if I had wanted to do that, I would have bought something else. I also have an ipod touch and am quite familiar with many of the comic readers over there. I bought a Nook HD specifically because it was a native CBZ reader. 

I don't care if the apps are FREE or not. I bought the Nook for one specific purpose that is now being taken away from me. I shouldn't have to use some sort of work around because B&N decided to change the very function of the product five months after I bought it.

Contributor
Utenahime
0 Kudos

I am left handed, and when using the Nook I hold it in my right hand so I can use the touchscreen with my left. The HD's processor is on the right hand side- exactly where you hold it with your right hand.

So to answer your question, yes I have noticed that the brighter the screen the hotter it gets. However, because of the carelessness put into the design, even if I have the brightness set at halfway it will still get too hot to hold after prolonged use - and I'm not talking about while playing games or browsing the internet. Reading comics and even reading longer epub files can become uncomfortable. Also, this is my second HD. The original one was returned because I assumed that the heating up meant it was defective. But this one does the same thing. I've been resigned to the fact that I can only use it for shorter periods of time than I want (before shutting it down and letting it cool off), but losing the ability to read CBZ files is really the last straw for me.

Distinguished Correspondent
junonia-shell

I posted the problem with the comic reader in the Nook Issues Forum. Hopefully we get get some kind of response.

Contributor
Utenahime
0 Kudos

Thank you, I appreciate you doing that. Because despite my complaints, I really do like my Nook. I want to keep it and I want to use it. They're just making it so hard for me right now. OTL

Inspired Bibliophile
compulsivereaderTX
0 Kudos

I would contact CS or take it into a store if one is near you, about that overheating. Some warming of the device during use can be expected, but what you describe is not normal at all.

Distinguished Bibliophile
roustabout

If the issue is important to you, it's important to go over and vote up the thread on the issue. 

You can find it at 

http://bookclubs.barnesandnoble.com/t5/NOOK-Issue-Reporting/2-1-Update-Can-no-longer-read-Comics/idi...

"no warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized." Fourth Amendment to the US Constitution.
Frequent Contributor
maxspr1

I miss having all of my reading material in one library, so this bummed me out. But, honestly, the Play Store comic reading apps look better/have better image resolution. I've spent HOURS comparing the various apps (I sideloaded them) with the stock reader since the HD+ was released and there was a noticeable difference. I know you can't compare now, but what you can do to check out the stock reader's image handling is to open a PDF with photos or art in the stock reader, then opening the same pdf with another app like Adobe Reader or the Kindle app (both free from the Play Store). The images are presented in lower resolution (definitely more pixellation when you zoom in) on the stock reader and they're also really contrast-heavy when compared to both of the other apps. The stock reader handled comic art the same way--less clarity and more contrast.

I'm still not sure which apps I'll settle on for cbz files. Like I said, I DO miss them being in my stock library and launchable/readable from there along with my B&N store comics and all my books, but I definitely don't feel shortchanged by the Play Store apps. I'm liking Comicat and ComicRack so far, with Comicat winning out a bit because it has better organizational options.

Not saying I wouldn't mind that they fix the stock reader app, though...

Inspired Wordsmith
BFCoughlin
0 Kudos

>>I am left handed, and when using the Nook I hold it in my right hand so I can use the touchscreen with my left. The HD's processor is on the right hand side- exactly where you hold it with your right hand.<<

Interesting...I am right handed, and mine warms up on the lower left.  I had one that got actually HOT on the lower left hand corner.  I brought it back to the store, showed them that it was hot, and they gave me a brand new one on the spot. The new one gets mildly warm--on the lower LEFT hand corner. It seems to warm up there even if I'm not holding it in my hand, just propping it up on my knee.  But it's mildly warm,. not hot like the other one. 

Can't comment on the comics issue as I'm not into that.  I can understand your frustration if you had something that worked for you and now it's been "fixed" so that it doesn't.

Correspondent
ewilson1114
0 Kudos

BFCoughlin wrote:

>>I am left handed, and when using the Nook I hold it in my right hand so I can use the touchscreen with my left. The HD's processor is on the right hand side- exactly where you hold it with your right hand.<<

Interesting...I am right handed, and mine warms up on the lower left.  I had one that got actually HOT on the lower left hand corner.  I brought it back to the store, showed them that it was hot, and they gave me a brand new one on the spot. The new one gets mildly warm--on the lower LEFT hand corner. It seems to warm up there even if I'm not holding it in my hand, just propping it up on my knee.  But it's mildly warm,. not hot like the other one. 

Can't comment on the comics issue as I'm not into that.  I can understand your frustration if you had something that worked for you and now it's been "fixed" so that it doesn't.

Mine warms up on the lower left side too. Not abnormally but noticeably.