Inspired Bibliophile
compulsivereaderTX
0 Kudos

Re: I have installed the 2.1.0 update and . . .

i did the import bookmarks and was given a "import bookmarks from android" or something similar to that. I chose that one and it did import most of my previous booksmarks.

Distinguished Bibliophile
roustabout

Is there a way to get the old browser back, with the excellent readability plugin, short of rooting the device?  I'm not seeing it for download, though it's still installed in /system/app 

One of the features of the Nook HD+ I liked most was that readability plugin in the browser - and I actually prefer (vastly) the various stock browsers I've used over chrome. 

"no warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized." Fourth Amendment to the US Constitution.
Frequent Contributor
HowlMC

I installed the app on my Nook HD+ without issue. Everything took about 5 minutes and it works great. All apps are working, shelves are intact. Speed seems faster and all in all I'm very happy.

Contributor
ejohnson53
0 Kudos

How do you do that. The help function tells you to go to Bookmark Manager that doesn't exist in Chrome on the Nook.

Inspired Correspondent
campyrs

Laurieb:  YES!!!

It did it!  I don't know how to thank you enough...  It made me sick when I went to the bookmark folder and it was empty.  I'm not a big fan of google chrome.  The tabs are dark gray w/ black print which is difficult to see but that complaint pales to the missing bookmark problem.

Again, thank you for the suggestion.

Frequent Contributor
BFH-CA
0 Kudos

compulsivereaderTX wrote:

Try importing your bookmarks. It won't get them all, but whatever it does get is a bookmark you won't have to do againImporting them from WHAT????  I don't like Chrome.  I don't use Chrome anywhere else on anything!  It apparently will ONLY import from Chrome installed somewhere else and only if you already have an account to sign into.

I AM SO FURIOUS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  And no Flash?  And no way to set Default mode of desktop of mobile? 

WHAT THE HECK IS THE MATTER WITH B&N ??????????

Reader 2
semitech

I loved the old stock NOOK HD browser because of Article View? How can we get the old stock browser back?
NOOK HD
Inspired Bibliophile
compulsivereaderTX

the import feature is at the upper right hand corner of the browser. 3 tiny squares in a row. CLick on that for settings to the browser.

Contributor
ejohnson53
0 Kudos

Don't bother asking Barnes and Noble. THey disconnect you from chat for asking. They don't want to live up to the fact this 2.1 roll out is a disaster that removes the features that made the Nook HD+ a premium e-reader. They must have decided to push the Nook HD+ as a tablet because they did a great job of removing the things that made me choose it over other tablet-like devices. So now, instead of being a leader of e-reader service, they've decided to be a "me too" tablet maker. I guess they saw more market share in the general consumer tablet market than in the e-reader market.

Inspired Bibliophile
compulsivereaderTX

[ Edited ]

I disagree. For me, they added some badly needed functionality required by a decent reader, such as the ability to manage our library and use our sideloaded content more adequately through 3rd party apps such as Calibre Companion. Most of the complaints I am seeing don't really have a lot to do with the function of reading but are more tablet functions such as browsing and media.

I don't have any complaints other than they forgot to deal with the cloud books in the main library and moving them out of that view. I didn't lose my shelves and that's a step up from previous updates. Iguess I really do use my HD+ mostly as an ereader so I was thrilled to add the functions I felt were necessary.

Edit: and...it has been mentioned  numerous times how to import the bookmarks from before the update, in this and other threads in this forum.

Contributor
ejohnson53

So why did they reduce functionality by eliminating the "Article View" option and why did they decide to disable Flash from running?

If you do an upgrade, it should not gut the features that made you select the Nook HD+ over other tablets that have those features you mention. I am not happy thet forced Google Chrome on me and do not have an option to use their original browser, which IMHO, is more streamlined, more intuitive and has better featuers than Chrome. At least B&N had support and help files for that browser. They rolled out this without a single bit of user documentation.

Inspired Bibliophile
compulsivereaderTX

again...browsing is not necessary to an ereader.  It's a tablet function. I understand being upset that you've lost something you had before. I get angry about things like that. That would not make me happy.

Flash has been an issue since day one because Adobe no longer supports flash. That you ever had it at all was luck. You will find the same problems in any tablet. It has nothing to do with BN. There was a Flash app in the app store, have you tried reinstalling it? It might night an update for the Chrome browser or one coming. BN might have overlooked it. It's good you brought it to their attention.

I never used the Article View as I never used the generic stock browser. Didn't care for it, used Dolphin instead, was faster and more responsive. I guess losing the stock browser doesn't seem like a big loss to me personally but that doesn't mean it had no value to others.

roustabout
0 Kudos

You may not have used that view, but for those who did, it really was very important in enhancing our reading experience. It was a technically slick way of reading articles. Yes, those were on the web, but it was an e-reading mode that may be gone. What I remember of how it was done is that it used changes to a kind of file called framework, which the play services also use. Given that the old browser is still in /system/app and that many had bothe play and the stock browser working it may yet come back. changing the web button so it only launches chrome - even with another browser installed - is just annoying. that ought to be customizable.
"no warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized." Fourth Amendment to the US Constitution.
Wordsmith
AlbionRose
0 Kudos

Ejohnson53, I'm sorry you and BFH-CA are having such a torrid time as a result of the upgrade.  I hope that some of the suggestions on the various threads you are participating in are helpful in repairing some of the damage for you.

As for why they changed the default browser, maybe that was one of Google's conditions in the deal making Playstore available.... And if enough people ask via the Issue Reporting/ Ideas suggestions forums for the old browser to be made available via the Nook Store, B&N may well be able to oblige.  And if the Browser button now launching Chrome means that it is just pointing in a different direction rather than has overwritten the old stock browser, maybe you will get back not only your bookmarks but also your saved pages as well as flash.

Good luck.

Inspired Bibliophile
compulsivereaderTX
0 Kudos

If you go to settings/apps/chrome, it has an option to disable chrome. Since the original web browser is still listed in the apps, will you now be able to use that instead?

roustabout
0 Kudos

on disabling chrome:  Unfortunatley, that does not reenable the old browser.

It disables chrome, and as a side effect makes the "web" button on the  BN home screen do nothing at all. 

Inspired Bibliophile
compulsivereaderTX
0 Kudos

roustabout wrote:

on disabling chrome:  Unfortunatley, that does not reenable the old browser.

It disables chrome, and as a side effect makes the "web" button on the  BN home screen do nothing at all. 

well that sucks...was a thought anyway.

Correspondent
DonMN

Wonderful update.  Thank you, B & N.  The value of my Nook HD+ has just been doubled.

Frequent Contributor
RobertCNJ

Apps I installed on the Nook seem to clash with doing upgrades on each one when I updated them via Play Store. Probably no issue since they work. I am not going back to Nook side. I installed Nova Launcher and that is where I will stay.
Inspired Wordsmith
LectorGS

This is a great update.  An update that seems to be working fine and making a lot of Nook HD(+) happy.  My upgrade went smoothly.  I did not lose any content, and the previously installed apps are working fine.

Good job, B&N!

Lector GS