Inspired Bibliophile
compulsivereaderTX

I'm so happy with BN! Calibre Companion App!!

The update installed flawlessy and the first think I did was check out my Calibre Companion App from Google. I had to uninstall it and install it again through the new GPS app. Noticed it no longer saw my on device books so I connected to the server as a wireless device. It took forever to resync with Calibre, find all my on device books and let Calibre know they were there, but finally, it all worked as before. My library was as before with all the beautiful covers and metadata available to me once again. Yeah!!!  The only hassle was I couldn't play with it while it was doing all that!

I uninstalled my google apps from before (the few that I had anyway) and reinstalled them using the Nook version of Google Play and they all installed well and now are listed in my App library and my faves are on my home page!

I am such a happy camper. Now to go play and explore what's new.

Inspired Contributor
lotsahelp
0 Kudos

Re: I'm so happy with BN! Calibre Companion App!!

compulsivereaderTX wrote:

The update installed flawlessy and the first think I did was check out my Calibre Companion App from Google. I had to uninstall it and install it again through the new GPS app. Noticed it no longer saw my on device books so I connected to the server as a wireless device. It took forever to resync with Calibre, find all my on device books and let Calibre know they were there, but finally, it all worked as before. My library was as before with all the beautiful covers and metadata available to me once again. Yeah!!!  The only hassle was I couldn't play with it while it was doing all that!

I uninstalled my google apps from before (the few that I had anyway) and reinstalled them using the Nook version of Google Play and they all installed well and now are listed in my App library and my faves are on my home page!

I am such a happy camper. Now to go play and explore what's new.

I have been afraid to do the update on my calibre, glad to here it worked for you. when you updated and the screen came up with run or save which did you chose? Frankly the help guide for calibre is hard for me to follow.

Inspired Bibliophile
compulsivereaderTX

Re: I'm so happy with BN! Calibre Companion App!!

lotsahelp wrote:

I have been afraid to do the update on my calibre, glad to here it worked for you. when you updated and the screen came up with run or save which did you chose? Frankly the help guide for calibre is hard for me to follow.

I always choose save, then run it after it's been saved. Sometimes I'm doing other things and I don't necessarily have time to install it but it's there when I'm ready.
The help guide for Calibre? It's rather technical isn't it? LOL! I was very quickly overwhelmed so I stuck with the most basic functions for a long time, such as downloading metadata and covers, making sure series information is up to date, etc. I pretty much keep everything at the default settings except making sure that I had told calibre what device I had for conversions, etc. I used it for a year before I figured out the content server and creating a calender.

For the most part, the defaults work just fine for my basic needs and probably will for yours too. I leave most of those settings alone, unless I'm feealing adventuresome. Calibre usually creates a back up of a book before it changes anything on it, so that makes me feel more secure about experimenting. Lots of the functions aren't anything that I have needed yet so I don't sweat them. That cuts out a lot of confusion and helps me from getting overwhelmed. I just learn new functions as I decide I need them and keep it as simple as possible.

Inspired Bibliophile
compulsivereaderTX

Calibres Facebook pages has links to tips and tricks!

I don'[t know what took me so long to find that page. I didn't even get one update installed when the next one came out so not sure which update did it, but I LOVE the new feature for updating metadata. It is really helpful on bulk updating, allowing you to see the metadata before you download it and you can even decide which part of the updated metadata you want to keep and which you want to reject! Went to give some positive feedback and found the Facebook page. Lots of great tips and techniques page links for you. I wanted to pass this on. The more you use Calibre for managing your library, the more useful the Calibre Companion will be for you and the more organized and useful your on device library will be.

https://www.facebook.com/calibre.ebook?v=wall

Frequent Contributor
DOGandHORSE-Mom
0 Kudos

Re: Calibres Facebook pages has links to tips and tricks!

From somebody who has been using Calibre since I had my original/1st edition Nook, that app is THE BOMB...  I love it for managing my eBook library!!!

Since I recently got a Nook HD+, I am considering getting this companion app.  Thanks for the info posted here.