Contributor
Saberspeed

I now have a reason to charge and use my Nook HD+ again after months...

Thanks to this wise decision on behalf of B&N customers, I'll pick up my Nook HD+ from where I laid it down months ago and get the update. It'll mostly be for the games and maybe videos but still, makes this item worth a little bit more to me considering I paid full price for it. But really, between my 4.5 inch phone and 18 inch desktop a tablet for the most part isn't that important to me so its not B&Ns fault, I prob woulda done same thing with kindle and ipad. 

I wish Barnes would've done this from the start, I bet they'd have easily sold 50% if not double or triple the number of tablets if from the start they had accss to all these apps, especially considering it would have been a major advantage over the Kindle. Now while it's good for us, it might just mean they Barnes will lose software revenue which appears to be the only thing makeing them money. Anyway, from me, thank you Barnes!

Inspired Scribe
Doreenpv
0 Kudos

Re: I now have a reason to charge and use my Nook HD+ again after months...

Watch your battery.

Bibliophile
5ivedom

I doubt software was making them much money. Apps sell for $1 to $3.

It's probably books and movies that were making them money.

Those hopefully keep making them money and they keep making Nook Tablets.

Contributor
scotthva5

Judging from some of the quite frankly inane threads and comments posted on this board you seem to be in the minority. For over a year Nook HD/HD+ owners have moaned about the pathetic state of the app store - a store in name only - and total lack of developer interest. Now that BN has opened up the "walled garden" and given us all the Googly Goodness™ that the Play Store offers people now complain about too many options and too many apps. One person even posted that if they had wanted a full featured tablet they would have bought one.

I don't get it. BN just doubled the value of your Nook and tripled it's usefulness - for free. Sure there are bound to be teething pains - show me a major software update that doesn't - but I for one am incredibly happy with the new update. Your miles may vary...

Correspondent
Wulfraed

Pardon?

"… over a year …" The HD/+ only made the market in November. That was only seven months ago, barely over half a year.

Baron Wulfraed
Contributor
scotthva5

My apologies, should have said Nook Tablet and HD/HD+ - I own both. Sorry for the confusion. And no, my comment was not directed at you - I love the fact you can now get some real use out of your Nook - but the sometimes shrill comments posted by other users. I agree that BN should have opened the Nook up sooner and blindsided Amazon in the process. 

Contributor
Saberspeed
0 Kudos

I am downloading awesome apps left and right, one was 900 mbs. The hardware is FINALLY actually doing something on here, I bet before if you weren't playing a movie the Nook was barely using 40%-50% of it's full capabilities. I'm really happy so far with all the options and with the incrediable amount of fun I think I'll have now with the NOOK. Barnes, YOU ARE AWESOME and trust me, if I buy ditigal books...I'll very likely buy it from the nook app store less it's way over priced. 

Bibliophile
bklvr896

scotthva5 wrote:

Judging from some of the quite frankly inane threads and comments posted on this board you seem to be in the minority. For over a year Nook HD/HD+ owners have moaned about the pathetic state of the app store - a store in name only - and total lack of developer interest. Now that BN has opened up the "walled garden" and given us all the Googly Goodness™ that the Play Store offers people now complain about too many options and too many apps. One person even posted that if they had wanted a full featured tablet they would have bought one.

I don't get it. BN just doubled the value of your Nook and tripled it's usefulness - for free. Sure there are bound to be teething pains - show me a major software update that doesn't - but I for one am incredibly happy with the new update. Your miles may vary...

If the Nook HD had only had access to the play store in the beginning, I probably would not have bought one for my mom.  I bought it specifically because of the walled garden App Store.  The play store would and will overwhelm her and she would put it down and not use it.  This way, she can ignore the play store, continue to use the BN App Store for her limited app needs and were both happy.

Contributor
scotthva5
0 Kudos

bklvr896 wrote:
If the Nook HD had only had access to the play store in the beginning, I probably would not have bought one for my mom.  I bought it specifically because of the walled garden App Store.  The play store would and will overwhelm her and she would put it down and not use it.  This way, she can ignore the play store, continue to use the BN App Store for her limited app needs and were both happy.

A valid point, the Mom test is important. BN's walled garden approach worked ok for the Nook Color/Tablet - although the lack of decent multimedia apps drove me crazy - but to me the HD/HD+ is a whole different story. Excellent specs, expandable memory, a huge library of content, a killer price point...and no apps. Case in point: to this day there is not a single alternative mp3 player in the BN store. Important to me yes, for my Mom and Dad? Not so much.

Reader 2
robinhoodC
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

scotthva5 wrote:

Case in point: to this day there is not a single alternative mp3 player in the BN store.

Have you tried eMusic from the BN store? It can play your MP3s.

Bibliophile
5ivedom
0 Kudos

This is pretty important:

I probably would not have bought one for my mom.  I bought it specifically because of the walled garden App Store.  The play store would and will overwhelm her and she would put it down and not use it.  This way, she can ignore the play store, continue to use the BN App Store for her limited app needs and were both happy.

People under-estimate the importance of a curated app store. Samsung has started emphasizing its own app store. Started a competition to offer $800,000 in prizes to app developers to make apps optimized for Samsung Galaxy S4.

There are two aspects (people tend to negelect one or both) -

1) Curation. So users don't have to do the hard work of going through the slushpile.

2) Optimized for the device. This is critical. Sooner or later people will realize that out of the 700,000 Apps in the Google Play Store just 20,000 to 40,000 are OPTIMIZED for Tablets and half are optimized for Nook.

It's still a huge improvement - to go from 10K apps in Nook Store to 20K to 30K Nook optimized apps. However, the difference isn't as big as people make it seem.

Contributor
ski_tahoe

I actually think this is a pretty big deal - these tablets now have access to apps that would likely never have come to the native b&n store (including calibre companion, firefox mobile, yahoo mail, the news app from my local tv station, the kindle app, etc, etc). Yes I could get all those things on a "real" tablet, but that would cost quite a bit more money and require I carry around yet another device (and I really lile reading on the nook). All in all the play store has made my tablet much more useful.
Contributor
scotthva5
0 Kudos

robinhoodC wrote:

Have you tried eMusic from the BN store? It can play your MP3s.

...which is functionally equivalent to the stock pre-2.1 music app. No support for scrobbling, equalization or Replay Gain - just to name a few.

Contributor
scotthva5

5ivedom wrote:

It's still a huge improvement - to go from 10K apps in Nook Store to 20K to 30K Nook optimized apps. However, the difference isn't as big as people make it seem.

I respectfully disagree. Granted a large number of the 700k apps are fluff at best, unusable at worst but in my experience the Play Store does a fairly decent job of restricting apps that simply will not work - or work well - on the Nook. However Google Cloud Print, PicArts Photo Studio/Goo, MX Player, WinAmp, Mixzing, Firefox and Poweramp - just to name a few and unavailable in BN Nook store - run just fine on the Nook even though they were not coded with the Nook in mind.

As I've said before, the walled garden approach worked fairly well for the Nook Color and Tablet - e-readers with benefits - but the HD/HD+ is a whole 'nother animal. I could be wrong - I frequently am - but I believe opening up the Nook is in the users best interest.

Bibliophile
5ivedom
0 Kudos

So we're saying the same thing, no.

I said we go from 10K Apps in Nook Store to 20K to 30K Nook optimized Apps.

You're listing some apps that work well on Nook from Google Play.

Are you saying anything different from -

Now there are 10K to 20K new good apps available for Nook from Google Play Store?

Contributor
ski_tahoe
0 Kudos

5ivedom, I am more disagreeing with the comment:

However, the difference isn't as big as people make it seem.

For me, the raw quantity of the new apps may not be a big deal, but the selection makes all the difference in the world (now I can install useful utilities such as Firefox which probably would have never made it to the B&N store).  While it still isn't perfect and these apps may not always be tablet optimized, they still provide useful functionality and my tablet is much more useful than it was a month ago...

Bibliophile
5ivedom
0 Kudos

Fair enough.

It's true - If you're Ok with Apps that aren't optimized for Tablets but work fine on them (I mean - they aren't 100% but good enough), then you do get a vast selection.

And sometimes choice can be a big factor (like in browsers).