New User
Zeke101
0 Kudos

JailBreaking/Rooting my Nook HD

[ Edited ]

Just yesterday I purchased a micro sd card in hopes to jailbreak my Nook HD. So far I've come across a few problems.

One problem I have is I can't find any toturials on how to to do. The ones I have seen are for the Nook Color, and or are too in dept to understand. I didn't know if anyone here knows of one they've used or have made. 

Another problem I have is I can't currently put my micro sd card into my pc because I don't have an adapter for it to go into. That being said, I was curious to know if my micro sd card could still hold all the files and such needed without doing such task. 

Thanks for your help.

Distinguished Bibliophile
patgolfneb
0 Kudos

Re: JailBreaking/Rooting my Nook HD

Google XDA developers forum, you can search this forum or elsewhere for cm7 or cm9. I don't know if techniques for the HD and HD+ are scripted out yet.
New User
Zeke101
0 Kudos

Alright, thanks. I have seen threads (on other forums) with ways how to, and others saying it isn't possible. 

Contributor
kimpe
0 Kudos

This guy on Youtube says it can be done. Rooting Video

But it'll cost you $10.

roustabout
0 Kudos

Take a look at this thread on XDA for rooting the HD and HD+.  You make a bootable SD card, copy files to it, and install them via Clockwork.  It's a fairly straightforward process. 

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2062613

Take a look at this thread on XDA for instructions on making a bootable SD card that runs stock Android OS.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2063968

I prefer rooted stock for now, but am just seeing a thread evolve that lets you install stock android alongside the BN OS.  You would still need to restart to swap between the OSes, but running stock Android off of internal memory has a lot of advantages in performance.

That approach is discussed here:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2097731

What I noticed running CM10 was that graphics, especially 2D graphics, felt a lot faster - probably because I wasn't being weighed down by the BN modifications - but the slower speed of the card was very noticable as well.  This approach is a really intereting one.  

"no warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized." Fourth Amendment to the US Constitution.
BN_AlexG
Topics: 68
Kudos: 517
Solutions: 40
0 Kudos

Inspired Contributor
fitbobcat
0 Kudos

It has to be an honor for the head admin to flag your post
“Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.” ― Groucho Marx
Inspired Bibliophile
compulsivereaderTX
0 Kudos

There is now a way to add the google app store to the HD and HD+ and purchase and install apps without having to root your device if you prefer to not do that. Whether you root or just add the app store and extras, the procedure is pretty much the same and you don't have to return to the original stock os first like previous Nooks have required. The instructions seem overwhelming at first, but it really is a fairly simple and straightforward procedure.

In a nutshell: You download the software that will burn a bootable image to your sd card. Both provided in the instructions. Then you download and copy to the card what you want to install, whether the rooting files and gapps and extras or just gapps and extras without rooting. Insert into your device, reboot, follow the instructions to install the file(s), take out the card and reboot. Then you are done. It takes about 10 minutes. Probably deciding if you want to root or not is the most time consuming. Much easier than when I rooted my NC.

I originally rooted, but converted back to stock and just applied the gapps and extras. I'm not really noticing any difference between the two, but it sure helps to have the apps I need to manage my library and not have to deal with the shelving issue on the stock OS. I have a HUGE library and I just can't keep dealing with having to do all that work every time there's an update. (big kudos to the Calibre and Calibre Companion app folks!)  I like it MUCH better than the n2A cards too. No need to reboot to switch between stock and the sideloaded apps or rooted side, install the supplied launcher that comes up when you hit the N button and choose which one you want and it instantly comes up.

Unfortunately, can't give you links or the post will be removed.

Frequent Contributor
LucaToo
0 Kudos

"I like it MUCH better than the n2A cards too. No need to reboot to switch between stock and the sideloaded apps or rooted side, install the supplied launcher that comes up when you hit the N button and choose which one you want and it instantly comes up."

I'm still torn between the two having tried both.

Yes you do get the advantage of not having to reboot N2A from SD Card (and therefore having the slot available for 64gb of extra storage) - but the N2A on a 32gb card for me gives a better implementation of Andriod and just looks and feels nicer.

I am however still playing around with both (because I do like that 64gb of storage for movies/books/comics etc).

Frequent Contributor
LucaToo
0 Kudos

And there are apps on Google Play store that will load to N2A card - but not to HD+ with GAPPS.

On those occasions I load to N2A install the app and copy backup across to internal SDcard and re-install from APK file to HD+ (for those who might be interested).

Inspired Bibliophile
compulsivereaderTX
0 Kudos

LucaToo wrote:

And there are apps on Google Play store that will load to N2A card - but not to HD+ with GAPPS.

On those occasions I load to N2A install the app and copy backup across to internal SDcard and re-install from APK file to HD+ (for those who might be interested).

You mean HD+ with Gapps only but not rooted, right?

I found some apps didn't install the first time with only gapps installed and not being rooted. It said it wouldn't work, but I came back later once or twice and they installed okay. Maybe they got tired of me trying. There might be some that won't install ever, but the ones I wanted did. I did not have any apps that didn't install immediately when it was rooted. :smileyhappy:

I've done rooting, installing just gapps and using a n2A card. Because I prefer reading with the stock device reader rather than a nook app, the n2a card was a hassle for me. Too much of a hassle, so I rooted instead and liked that sooo much better. This last time, I just installed the gapps and extras because I was curious to what exactly the difference would be. I checked out if the apps I really wanted worked and they did so I stayed with just the gapps and extras. If they had not worked, I would have then rooted. It's the same process, just installing a couple more files. There is not enough difference in function as regards to how I personally use my device for me to worry about it one way or another as long as the apps I want will install. That may not be true for others, but for how I use mine, it is perfect.

If I had a choice between rooting and the n2a card, I'd root and use my sd card for storage. I just don't like having to reboot to switch OS's and sounds like having to use it to load apps to your device is more hassle than I would be happy with. I'm basically very lazy. One can always return to stock if you did not like being rooted. But this is all just my own personal preferences based on my laziness, habit of losing sd cards if they are not installed, habit of being absent minded when rebooting and having to do it more than once because I wasn't paying attention which is a pain in the butt when you need to switch OS's several times a day, and the personal preference for simplicity and need of getting to where I want to be without purposely putting unneccessary speedbumps in my way. I'm clumsy, I WILL screw up if it's not as simplified as I can make it.

roustabout
0 Kudos

There's a variant of the cyanogen install for the HD that installs to internal memory.  Last I looked, the

HD+ can't accomplish that (and in either case, you have to have the sdcard available at boot time.)

If I could put stock Android on internal memory, that might be the last I'd use the stock OS.  

As it is, I like the bootable card, but it feels noticably laggy for anything read-intensive.  I dedicated one of the Sandisk class 4s to this;  I don't think the problem is down to the card per se - sdcards just aren't as fast as internal memory.  

Very odd to see my post in this thread not yanked, and my post in another thread which pointed solely to a way to block updates being yanked. 

"no warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized." Fourth Amendment to the US Constitution.
Inspired Bibliophile
compulsivereaderTX
0 Kudos

Roustabout, I'm not sure what CWM is the root for HD+ but I did it at Xmas and they've been rooting it for awhile now. The original root I used said it worked for both HD and HD+ but I see now that there is a separate version for each one. It was wonderful till the 2.0.6 update came along, but my white on white fix interferred with the update and I had to restore to stock and start over to update. Since this is the 3rd nook device I've rooted, I'm getting it down pretty quick. Ha ha. Not a big deal as I probably would have had to start over again if I hadn't been rooted with the last update. 

I do know that I was never told I could not install an app when I was rooted. This time, I did not root solely out of curiosity, whether the gapps and extras file would work well enough for me. It did so I didn't bother to root again. But it is available if I choose to go that route.

roustabout
0 Kudos

I occasionally have apps that I know exist for Android but cannot see in the Market.  Those I can try to install via Dropbox or via ADB depending on where I am.  

Very few of those truly won't run.  Many of them are invisible on the HD but run just fine once I manually install them.  I've read that this is due to the high resolution of the HD+ screen - lots of apps have a top-end on their resolution, and few devices run at the resolution of the HD and HD+.  

Inspired Bibliophile
compulsivereaderTX
0 Kudos

roustabout wrote:

I occasionally have apps that I know exist for Android but cannot see in the Market.  Those I can try to install via Dropbox or via ADB depending on where I am.  

Very few of those truly won't run.  Many of them are invisible on the HD but run just fine once I manually install them.  I've read that this is due to the high resolution of the HD+ screen - lots of apps have a top-end on their resolution, and few devices run at the resolution of the HD and HD+.  

I have found sometimes that I search for an app now that I KNOW I had when I was rooted and can't find it in Google Play for the life of me. It never occured to me there was a reason other than "I must be typing in the wrong key word". However, if I have already purchased it when I was rooted and go to MY apps that I've purchased, it will be there. As I said before, sometimes I had to try 3 or 4 times before it reinstalled for me. My problem is that I have to mess around for awhile before I remember how to get there. I'm not a big app user, I have my core set that I consider absolutely necessary (such as Calibre Companion) but other than that, I'm completely out of the loop.  I don't know how I am able to do many of the things I do and do them well and still find myself stumped on how to just get around.

roustabout
0 Kudos

For those who are interested in seeing what their HD or HD+ can really do, it is now possible to install almost all of a standard Android OS to internal memory while leaving the nook OS installed along side.

You wind up with a device which can boot either Nook OS or fairly standard Android.  You need an SD card in your Nook to boot to Android but the operating system is installed to internal memory.  

This makes it a very fast tablet - running from a card always carries some level of performance penalty.

It also shows what could yet be if BN can do some additional polishing on the OS.  

Highly recommended, at least as a test configuration.  Lots of details on XDA in the HD/HD+ Android Development forum, look at the "Hybrid SD Card" threads.  

Inspired Bibliophile
compulsivereaderTX
0 Kudos

look for this thread too:This is NOT a link to the thread, just the title of the thread! This thread has been since before Christmas with changes updated as needed due to updates on the devices.

HD/HDplus Stock Root and other Mods - via CWM flashable zips

Have done both the stock and just the Gapps/extra install so I know both work on the HD+.

Inspired Contributor
fitbobcat
0 Kudos

Why dont you buy an android for nook card. Google the title. I dont want to put in the website.

“Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.” ― Groucho Marx
roustabout
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

The advantage over an n2a card or other SDcard installed OS is that the Nook HD and HD+ have persistent issues with SD cards.  

The hybrid technique uses the SD card primarily at boot time and for apps that don't typically read and write a lot of data once they are up, so SD card issues can be minimized (also by being careful to be sure that apps, even large ones, are stored on internal memory or moved to it if they are installed to sdcard by default.)  

Also, the read and write speeds on the internal memory are much better than on sdcards - I've run my device off a bootable sdcard and running using Leapinlar's hybrid technique is a big improvement.  

Frequent Contributor
LucaToo
0 Kudos

I have used three options: GAPPS, Hybrid and N2A card.

All have advantages and disadvantages for me.

I like GAPPS as it means you can choose to root (or not)  and it will run (almost) any app on a stock Nook installation - but you are stuck with the limitations of Nook settings and status bar even if you run an alternative launcher.

Hybrid and N2A run almost the same version of 4.1.2 - I find Hybrid a little faster but you have to set it all up yourself and it is not supported in the same way as the N2A card (which is a paid for product). 

I am still switching between all three in order to determine which to use on a permanent basis.

I would probably go to GAPPS (with a 64gb MicroSD card for storage) permanently if only the HD+ could read data correctly an external card.