Distinguished Correspondent
jamartMF
Accepted Solution

Kudos to Customer Service

[ Edited ]

When something is wrong we often hear the complaints loud and clear.  I resemble that remark.  But I also like to give compliments when someone does a good job. I had two $20 gift cards on my account.  Yesterday I bought 5 apps. Somehow both  my cards got deducted for the purchases.

I called customer service first thing this morning.  Initially was only on hold a couple of minutes and the sales service lady sent me to the sales audit dept. where I was on hold about 8 minutes and then got disconnected somehow.

I called back and Nicole (sales service) and Alex (sales audit) had me all fixed up in about 5 minutes and 1 minute of that was holding for the audit dept.  By the time I hung up with Alex and checked my gift card balances I had my $8.66 back.  I know it is not a whole lot of money but to me it is and of course it is MY money.

Everyone was very nice and helpful. Thank you Barnes and Noble.

By the way I did order these from the Nook so I hope that didn't cause the problem.  I clicked on the notification about new apps and ordered them from there.  Hmm wonder if that had something to do with it?

Wordsmith
PlanetGreen

Re: Kudos to Customer Service

[ Edited ]
No. Gift cards at the moment are double billing. One is pre auth. And the other the charge. They are aware of it.
It's a small world afterall except when your far away.
jamartMF
0 Kudos

Planetgreen - thanks for the heads up. I will wait on any more orders and test only 1 item when I do order again. Don't want to make orders thinking I have enough on my cards and have it deducted from my debit card.
Wordsmith
PlanetGreen
0 Kudos

Yep. No prob.
Bibliophile
5ivedom
0 Kudos

Hi jamartMF, what is this:

I clicked on the notification about new apps and ordered them from there.

Do you get a notification about new apps from B&N itself?

Could you please let me know what it looks like and what apps (from what companies) are included. thank you!

Also what days does this arrive?

jamartMF
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

5ivedom, Now that you ask I am not sure the notification is coming from B&N.  It shows up at the top of the Nook HD+ 32gb, where all notifications and alerts show up, about once a week or so.  I got it the first time right after the last update so I assumed it got pushed out by B&N with the update.  When I select it it shows a very large carousel of mostly games but some are like alarm clock, calculator and such.

After your question I went back and looked and they are all developed by Agile Fusion.  The five I bought were Bingo, Yatzy, Jigsaw Puzzle, Mahjong Solitaire, and Slots.  It was bad enough if they are sent by B&N it sort of reminded me of cheaper kindles with the ads and I didn't get the discount LOL..  But it wasn't intrusive so I didn't let it bother me.  I didn't see a way to opt out of the notifications either..Each app description says " (game name) for Nook Family of Devices by Barnes and Noble".

If you learn any more about this let me know please.  I hope it is not some back door to get in my Nook.

Any one else getting this notification?  I sure don't remember requesting anything from this company.

This Notification came on Saturday or Sunday.  I am pretty sure it was Sunday.  I will watch and let you know next time it shows up.  BTW can't wait till you get some more of your apps updated for the HD+.

Distinguished Scribe
NookGardener

agilefusion wrote the code for parts if the Nooks (on the NC, wrote some of the stock games and the gallery - which is why I remember - I complained to him about lack of functionality on the gallery app.)  Thought their website said they wrote/programmed the Nook catalogs for HD's but not seeing it their now. Just go to their website and check it out.

re: the notifications. I'm not getting them now, but I cant remember if that is part of the reason that I removed the one app I had purchased from them. It was either that or that their calculator app had access to my contacts (which made no sense to me, so I removed the app.

Hope that helps.

jamartMF
0 Kudos

NookGardner:  While it answers some of the confusion it also raises more questions. Hmmmmmm.  I just rechecked and I don't have any other apps (free or bought) by this company unless it is a stock app like you mentioned.  The gallery app just says B&N.

If this is being sent by B&N I think it should have a variety of developers such as 5ivedom and others.

Distinguished Scribe
NookGardener
0 Kudos

I will go to great pains to avoid (most) notications.  Find them distracting. 

Dont think that notifications are limited to be sent only from B&N. You can set them up for email and other things to.  

Check the apps you already purchased from them.  Open one up, look for settings within the app and see if there is a way to turn off the notifications.  You will probably have to check each app. See if that works.

Distinguished Scribe
NookGardener
0 Kudos

Ok, I redownloaded their calculator app. (On the plus side, dont access contacts anymore.) Not seeing anything in settings within the app to turn them off.  Will keep an eye on it and let you know if I start getting notifications from them too.

jamartMF

NookGardener Thanks for checking.  Yes please let me know if that triggers notifications.  I still want to know how it started.  But I did find a way to opt out thru the games.  The have a sliding panel on the right of the opening screen listing a number of games.  When I selected the more games it took me back to the whole page of games again.  But this time there was a wrench in the top right that gave me the choices to Disable Notifications and Disable Recommendations Shelf.

Correspondent
DonMN

Yes, agilefusion apps put out notifcation (ads).  I downloaded one of their apps and started getting the notifications.  I removed the app and the notifications stopped.

Bibliophile
5ivedom
0 Kudos

jamartMF

There was another thread where a user said they got notifications from that company after installing one of their games. And these were unrequested notifications.

The user said they uninstalled the app and stopped getting notifications.

Another user mentioned some way to turn it off.

It's very interesting that you're getting a whole bunch of offers. It used to be just one offer.

I don't think it's from B&N because it's not done for any other company at all.

Contributor
AgileFusion
0 Kudos

Hello PlanetGreen.
As app developer we don't have any access nor control over the purchase flow. The purchase process is handled by nook system (barnes and noble) inside the Shop application on Nook
Contributor
AgileFusion
0 Kudos

Hello jamartMF.
The notification that you are receiving is
sent out about once a week. This notification is AgileFusion specific. To turn off any future notifications, please open "more games", and tap on settings icon. There will be a "turn off notifications" switch.
Wordsmith
PlanetGreen
0 Kudos

AgileFusion wrote:
Hello PlanetGreen.
As app developer we don't have any access nor control over the purchase flow. The purchase process is handled by nook system (barnes and noble) inside the Shop application on Nook

Whad I do ?

what-you-talkin-bout-willis.jpg

jamartMF
0 Kudos

Agilefusion, thank you for this information. When I realized it wasn't from B&N it caused me a little concern . But I found the decline page if I decide. I want to turn it off . Also I am really enjoying the five games I bought.
Reader 2
Steve2
0 Kudos

I am glad that you had a good experience and your issue was resolved.  I, unfortunately, have not been so lucky.  I have been having the same issue with being double charged on two cards, and my issue is still not resolved.  I spent two day/ three hours...spoke with NINE different people.  The last person finally actually saw that YES, there was an error and told me that she was going to submit this to the "gift card dept." and I would have my money back in 48 hours....well, still waiting...and debating whether I really want to (have the time to) try to contact customer service again.  *sigh*  It is frustrating, but I feel better knowing that this isn't only happening to me....so they are most likely addressing the double charge issue.  I have other books I am waiting to order, but with the double charges, I do not have enough of a balance if they double charge again...and I don't want my credit card on file being charged.  Anyway...THANKS for sharing.

Distinguished Scribe
NookGardener
0 Kudos

AgileFusion wrote:
Hello jamartMF.
The notification that you are receiving is
sent out about once a week. This notification is AgileFusion specific. To turn off any future notifications, please open "more games", and tap on settings icon. There will be a "turn off notifications" switch.

@AgileFusion-

Does this "Turn off notifications" switch exist in your calculator app? I see the "more games" but no off switch for notifications. Recieved your notifications today. Want to turn them off.  TIA