New User
DonWil
0 Kudos

Library Books on HD

This has probably been asked before but I can't find it. After I side load books checked out from a local library my HD tells me they have already been returned when I try to open them. I know about using Overdrive reader and that works, but is not a real happy solution. Does anyone know how to solve the original problem. B&N help hasn't been.

DonWil
Doug_Pardee
Kudos: 4,013
0 Kudos

Re: Library Books on HD

How are you sideloading them? You can just "drag and drop" e-books that you've bought, but ones that have a time limit — like library checkouts — have to be installed through Adobe Digital Editions so that the time limit gets set up.

Bibliophile
bklvr896

Doug_Pardee wrote:

How are you sideloading them? You can just "drag and drop" e-books that you've bought, but ones that have a time limit — like library checkouts — have to be installed through Adobe Digital Editions so that the time limit gets set up.

The problem is, with a Nook HD/HD+, which I assume the OP has, ADE will not recognize the Nook HD.  I just downloaded a library book file (.acsm) and opened it ADE.  I left ADE open, connected my Nook HD to my computer and used Windows Explorer to drag and drop the book file to my Nook and it opened without a problem.

When I connect my Nook HD to my computer, it says MyNook.  I've heard others report is says something else, because the computer sees the Nook HD/HD+ not as a drive but as a Media player.  Maybe they changed something with the latest update, I do know, if you search the boards, you should find some discussions on copying library books to the Nook HD series. 

However, what I described above is what worked for me.

I find using the Overdrive App much easier though, as I don't have to connect anything to my computer, just download the book, but I know some people don't like the Overdrive App.

Bibliophile
bklvr896

I thought of one other thing, make sure you've gone into account settings and activated ADE on the Nook HD with your ADE account information.

Bibliophile
5ivedom
0 Kudos

1) You have to activate ADE BEFORE you move books to nook.

2) If not, you'l have to find the two ADE folders on Nook and delete them.

3) Sometimes, library books show up as expired. You have to re-download then on your PC and move them over again.

This is very tricky though. For some people it works. For some people it doesn't.

Inspired Wordsmith
BFCoughlin
0 Kudos

I installed the Aldiko reader from the Google Play store.  With it, one can link directly to one's public library and download the books without needing to hook to the computer.  While I prefer the native Nook reader, this one isn't bad. 

Bibliophile
5ivedom
0 Kudos

Thanks for sharing BFCoughlin. I've heard good things about Aldiko but didn't know it links directly to one's library. That's a very cool feature.

Reader 4
nancytucaz
0 Kudos

I was hoping to find a good solution to this problem. I know how to use Overdrive and Aldiko (of the two, I prefer the Aldiko interface), but really prefer the Nook interface -- particularly the "night" mode. I have tried various methods of copying the downloaded book to MyFiles>Books, but still cannot open the public library book. I get the "expired" message. If anyone has any further suggestions, I would greatly appreciate hearing them. Thank you!

Distinguished Scribe
NookGardener

When you connect your HD to your pc, does it show up as "MyNook" or something like BNTVT400 or 600 (a media device?)

If it shows up as MyNook, follow the combo suggestions of bklvr and 5ivedom again.(make sure device is authorized, then checkout on computer, etc.)

If its showing up as a media device/camera, well...is the only shortcoming of Aldiko vs the stock reader the night mode? The free aldiko has a true white font on black background night mode. It looks like the premium Aldiko ($3) has some more options for fonts and backgrounds (ie if you are looking for a different background color.) That might be the less frustrating way to get what you want.