Contributor
ana_the_anonymous
0 Kudos

Library books have become the bane of my existence.

[ Edited ]

Got the Nook HD as a gift.  Downloaded library books last week, EPUB files, saw it didn't work with ADE so I sideloaded.  Worked fine.

Today I downloaded new library books and put them on the reader doing what I thought I did last time.

Every time I try to open them I get the "Book has been returned." error message.

Someone take pity on me and walk me through the process of sideloading again?  It'd be much appreciated.

I really, really, really don't want to use the Overdrive app.  Considering that library books worked last time, I don't see any reason for them not to work suddenly besides human error.

Contributor
BebeFleur13
0 Kudos

Re: Library books have become the bane of my existence.

I am not too familiar with sideloading anything but music, so I can't help you there, sorry.

Why don't you like OverDrive? With the exception of small selection, I find it fairly nice. Is there something you need help with?
Contributor
ana_the_anonymous
0 Kudos

It takes longer to load a page than the ereader does and I find the lag incredibly frustrating.

Plus I think it seems a bit silly to have to read a book- on an ereader- using an app.

Contributor
BebeFleur13
0 Kudos

I have never gotten a lag, so I can't really help there.

So the only other advice I can offer is to check the BN and Google Play store for free books. The selection is limited, but I've found some nice books for free. :smileyhappy:

Good luck!
Contributor
ana_the_anonymous
0 Kudos

Aye, I supose I'll just have to put up with it until something else gets figured out.

Thank you though.

Reader 2
buzzbva
0 Kudos

Overdrive has the advantage that you get directly to your library account from the app to checkout and download the book. It also works with Gutenberrg for old books, eliminating the hassle of sideloading. IMHO it is also a well featured reader.
Bibliophile
5ivedom
0 Kudos

1) The sideloading process is exactly what you wrote.

Download via ADE to computer.

IMportant: Do this BEFORE next step - Authorize ADE on yoru Nook via Settings.

Move books from computer to Nook.

Now open.

2) Sometimes it just doesn't work. then you have to try

A) Delete book. Delete book from computer. Get via ADE again. Then move again.

OR

B) Plug in Nook. Delete both Adobe folders on Nook. They are hidden. Search 'adobe'' to find forum threads on where the folders are.

Then BEFORE moving books. FIRST - enter your account information on Nook. Then download via ADE to PC. Then move to Nook.

But sometimes it just doesn't work.

So in those cases you just have two options -

Use Overdrive.

Don't read library books.

Distinguished Scribe
NookGardener
0 Kudos

ana_the_anonymous wrote:

Aye, I supose I'll just have to put up with it until something else gets figured out.

Thank you though.

compulsivereader recommended the aldiko app (from GP) in another thread. Apparently you can set it up so it will connect with your library. Havent tried it yet, but agree that OD is rather clunky. It might be worth the effort.