Contributor
pamcdon
0 Kudos

Love my new Nook HD except.....

It won't play You Tube!  It just spins.

I am able to play them on my phone and IPOD, so I know it's not my internet connection.

Any ideas?

Thanks!!

Wordsmith
TnTexas
0 Kudos

Re: Love my new Nook HD except.....

I could be wrong, but I suspect it's because the HDs do not have Flash installed on them (thanks to Adobe discontinuing Flash support for mobile devices). Try installing the Puffin browser from the B&N app store and opening Youtube through it. Doing that might work. 

Distinguished Wordsmith
sygram
0 Kudos

Flash works in the Dolphin browser as well.  Also, isn't there a YouTube app?

Distinguished Bibliophile
patgolfneb
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Most of the video on you tube plays fine for me either way, I think most you tube videos are available using html. I agree try the app. Check your video settings on the tablet also, I  am not sure their are any user selectable ones for video.  But selecting desktop or mobile makes a big difference in how your browser performs. 

Inspired Correspondent
campyrs
0 Kudos

I downloaded Flash at B&N when I first got my hd+.  look for it there.

Inspired Correspondent
campyrs
0 Kudos

There's an app called flash content player pro (its free) in the app store. Says it plays content requiring flash. I notice b&n doesn't offer the flash app anymore. Maybe this would help you.
Frequent Contributor
bru20
0 Kudos

campyrs wrote:
There's an app called flash content player pro (its free) in the app store. Says it plays content requiring flash. I notice b&n doesn't offer the flash app anymore. Maybe this would help you.

Flash plug in is still available from B&N

http://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/browser-plugin-barnes-and-noble/1113914386?ean=2940043651563

But to the OP's problem Youtube should play fine out of the box.  Youtube is optimized for mobile devices and doesn't use Flash.  So if it is not working something isn't right with the tablet, settings, browser settings, or similar.  I'd figure that out before I find a workaround.

Inspired Correspondent
Sandikal
0 Kudos

Are you using the app or the browser.  I use the app and have no problems watching YouTube videos.  I haven't tried it in the browser.

Distinguished Correspondent
lochnez
0 Kudos

I got the HD+ shortly after it first came out and paid full price. Loved it, still do, and didn't feel ripped off when the price dropped. When it dropped again, I popped for an HD and gave my NT to my daughter. Beginning to wish I hadn't. You would think the HD would just be a smaller HD+ but it isn't. For example, it won't run YouTube or Google Movie Player. Everytime I open them, I get "Unfortunately, YouTube (or Play Movies &TV) has stopped." This doesn't happen on the HD+. Anybody have any ideas why? Is there a setting I need to change on the HD? There's also the issue with GMail and the Google Calendar, but that's for a different thread. So, any help with YouTube and/or Movies would be appreciated. (Mostly YouTube, the screen's too small for movies!)

Scribe
frantastk
0 Kudos

I'm not sure what's wrong with yours, but I've been watching videos through both the YouTube and the Google Movie app on my HD. I don't have an HD+ so I can't compare the two, but I've been very pleased with the way all video has played on my HD. I don't think I changed any settings. I don't use the Google Calendar app, but my Google calendar does sync perfectly with the app I do use. Gmail works well, too. Both the calendar and gmail work much better than they do on my Galaxy Player.
Distinguished Correspondent
lochnez
0 Kudos

So I did what others have done, unregistered and reregistered the HD. Now it plays YouTube and movies. Now, of course, I have to reinvent the thing. I must have added an app or tweaked a setting that caused those two apps to not work anymore. I'll have to be careful setting it up again so as not to do that.

Correspondent
Arctic_Ranger
0 Kudos

I have had a similar problem on one of our Nook HD+'s.  We bought one in March and with the exception of having to unregister and reregister it once after the GooglePlay store became available, we've had few problems.

We bought a second one lst month for our oldest, and it first it worked fine.  About a week ago we started getting the "Unfortunately, Youtube has stopped" message when launched from the app.  Using the Chrome browser, it just won't load.  This only happens on the children's profile.  If I switch it to my profile, youtube works fine. This does not happen on our other Nook HD+.

Yesterday, I called tech support.  After about 1 1/2 hours of them trying to get it to work, they decided that it must be a software error and are sending us a new Nook HD+.  I am glad for their willingness to do that, but I don't exactly have confidence that it will fix the problem.