Contributor
Auntie_Lolo
0 Kudos
Accepted Solution

Missing apps - there one day, gone the next

I have a new HD+ (HD) and an old Color (Nook).  When I first got the HD all my apps from the Nook appeared in my apps page.  I downloaded and installed a number of them.  I also opened them and they all played.  The next day many of my apps disappeared from my HD.  I went to the B&N store to try to redownload, but it doesn't work.  The button says 'Open' but nothing happens.  There were a number of apps I did not download which also disappeared.  These are not compatible with the HD, which I am fine with

One a few apps I was able to delete the app from my Nook, then reinstall it on both devices (Nook and HD).  However the next day they had disappeared AGAIN.

I am also having the problem with Google Music Play.  From that discussion I learned about the Android Task Manager.  In Task Manager, none of these apps appear.

All of these apps are compatible with the HD.  I opened them at least once.  These include four apps I use daily (Alarm Clock, Weather, Nightstand; American Civil War Gazette; Crosswords; Goodreads).

I am also having problems with the Google Calendar synching (not the default one that comes with the HD).  Again, it worked fine the first time.  Now it says “Google Play Services error”.  I am going to write a separate post for this issue, but wanted to point it out in case it was relevant.

Anybody else having these problems?  Any suggestions or solutions?  I am about to do the deregister thing, even though it takes a lot of time to get everything back.

Wordsmith
TnTexas
0 Kudos

Re: Missing apps - there one day, gone the next

Are you archiving the apps on one of the devices? My understanding is that if you have more than one device registered to your account and you archive an app on one of the devices, it's automatically archived on the other device as well. In other words if you have an HD and a regular Nook Tablet registered to the same account, if you archive an app on the Tablet, it will automatically be archived on the HD as well. If I'm wrong about that, I'm sure someone will come along and let us know, but that's how I understand it to work.

Contributor
Auntie_Lolo
0 Kudos

No, these apps are being actively used on my Nook Color.  I already figured out about the archive/delete issue with another app.

Wordsmith
AlbionRose
0 Kudos

When you say disappeared, do you mean from your Home screeen? or from the Apps area in your library/ the App grid button?

App icons disappear from the Home screen after an app updates, which seems to be a bug;

If the Apps disappear from your library, have you checked in the hidden App drawer?

You access the hidden drawer by going to your apps page via the grid icon on the homepage, holding down the volume up button and long pressing on the word Apps. A page headed 'Extras' comes up.  

You may be able to access the missing Apps from here.

Contributor
Auntie_Lolo
0 Kudos

They have totally disappeared.  I've looked where you mentioned.  Completely gone.  I have the Android Task Manager and I looked there, also nothing.  I belive that at least part of the program is on the HD, otherwise I'd be able to download it (them) from the Nook Store.

Wordsmith
AlbionRose
0 Kudos

Ouch.

I know that when i was trying to update Evernote, I deleted it from my HD+ and went to re-download it from the Nook Store.  It wouldn't let me as it said I already had it installed. The only way I could get it back was to ask Alex the moderator to remove the purchase of Evernote from my account history.

Maybe you could PM Alex and ask him to do that for the Apps you want to reload and try again.  It might save you a wipe and re-register....

Distinguished Scribe
NookGardener

Did you check your profile and make sure they are still enabled/checked? Someone, somewhere along the line mentioned that theres somehow got unchecked.

Contributor
Auntie_Lolo
0 Kudos

Thank you, thank you, thank you Nook Gardener!!  I had set up another profile for my niece.  When I read about the issues with profiles I just deleted her profile.  Somehow her profile limitations made to my profile!!!

I think this might even have solved my Google calendar problem, having disable some of the Google apps.

I'll post back later with more info.

Contributor
Auntie_Lolo
0 Kudos

Everything is working fine now.  For anyone else with this problem -

Edit your Profile Content (upper left with your name, then Edit Profiles).  You do not need to delete any other profiles, at least I didn't.  Actually I deleted the profile, but it did NOT fix the problem.  I have re-added my niece's profile and nothing hinky has happened yet.

Because I had limited some of the Google apps I had trouble synching with Google.

The Android App Manager did NOT show these programs/apps.

Contributor
Tad123
0 Kudos

Everytime I updated an app on Google Play, the original app disappeared from my home screen. I never came up with a fix, but switched my os over to the N2A sd card and don't have that issue anymore.