Reader
Jeff4066
0 Kudos

Multiple Nook HDs on one B&N account.

[ Edited ]

This isn't a real problem more than an occasional pain. A year ago, my wife and I were using a Nook Tablet and a Nook Color. Both are tied to the same B&N account. We thought this was a nice feature since we like many of the same games, and you only have to buy them once. As far as books, she sent "mine" to the Archive to save memory, and I do the same for "hers". Not a problem, and life was happy.

Skip to now, where I have a Nook HD, and she has the HD+. We are both happy with the machine's performance, and love the features, and they are both loaded with SD cards with our own music, pictures, and videos. But sometimes, always after being on-line with them, the main screen will change her name on hers to mine, or vice versa. Some books she has bought show up on mine, even after I send them to the cloud. Books I have sent to the cloud go from hers also, even when she was keeping them. This can get frustrating when you are offline, and a book you are reading is now somehow in the cloud. It's like B&N can't tell the two devices are separate devices anymore. Incidentally, the Tablet, still on our account, doesn't have the problem.

Bibliophile
5ivedom
0 Kudos

Re: Multiple Nook HDs on one B&N account.

Jeff, for this:

sometimes, always after being on-line with them, the main screen will change her name on hers to mine, or vice versa. Some books she has bought show up on mine, even after I send them to the cloud. Books I have sent to the cloud go from hers also, even when she was keeping them.

From what I've read there is now a change where archiving on one device archives on the other too.

So perhaps you each will have to create an 'Already Read' folder (or an 'His/Hers Folder' and move there instead of Archiving.

I used to not get this on Color or Tablet. However, I've seen multiple people say that now ARchiving archives from all.

However, I don't get it on HD or HD+.

Not sure why your profiles are getting confused. That seems to be a new problem.

Distinguished Scribe
NookGardener

Hmm, thought when you archived on one device it was SUPPOSED to archive across all devices. (Thats how I end up managing content on my NST anyway. Archive from NT or HD, then go to NST and download new content. But never used NC and NT at same time.)

How many profiles do you have set up on the HD's? Would think you would want 3 -- ours (all content), then a his and a hers. Dont have to archive anything. Just assign the content through the "ours" account to each individual account. Then download your stuff to your profile. Just a thought.

Reader
Jeff4066
0 Kudos

We've only ever had one account on the HDs.

Making additional accounts would be moot, since all devices are tied to the same credit card, which is the root of the B&N account.

So, I could create another account on her HD+, and even tie it (via a different name) to the same credit card.  Then it's just more expensive.  If we both like a game?  Well, we have to buy it twice.  Two copies each of the Harry Potter books?  RiddleMaster?  Stephen King novels?  That is pretty expensive.

My belief is that the "old" Nooks used a hardware identifier while still allowing multiple machines.

It seems odd the latest tech can't keep track of separate hardware like the old "single User" Nooks.

Inspired Contributor
BrownskinsCD
0 Kudos

I know what you are saying, as I had 2 NCs before as well and they behaved as 2 separate devices despite being linked to one account.

In the HD versions, you can create 2 profiles under one account.  It's that icon on the top left, then click create new profile. You still have common access to the lone account's library of purchased books and apps, etc., but you can customize your separate profiles and build separate shelves, etc. 

If you just use the default profile, both of your devices will show exactly the same content.

Distinguished Scribe
NookGardener

Jeff4066 wrote:

We've only ever had one account on the HDs.

Making additional accounts would be moot, since all devices are tied to the same credit card, which is the root of the B&N account.

So, I could create another account on her HD+, and even tie it (via a different name) to the same credit card.  Then it's just more expensive.  If we both like a game?  Well, we have to buy it twice.  Two copies each of the Harry Potter books?  RiddleMaster?  Stephen King novels?  That is pretty expensive.

My belief is that the "old" Nooks used a hardware identifier while still allowing multiple machines.

It seems odd the latest tech can't keep track of separate hardware like the old "single User" Nooks.

Not separate accounts, separate PROFILES.  They allow you to manage content within one account.  You can set up different child accounts (different books for different age children) or lots of different ways. Someone mentioned setting up one profile for all their arts/crafts or cookbooks. Then another for books tey actually spent $$$ (to help prioritize/distinguish from free).