Contributor
Pulitzer_Fan

Music Player App is one "Hot Mess"

The Music Player App has sooo many defects.

1. Can't create Playlists

2. Can't Import Playlists through Windows Media Player, content comes in but thPlaylist doesn't

3. Song Phantoms keep getting created. I've got about 10 copies of every song on my Tablet. Only the last one is valid, but is seems every day or so the songs multiply by 1. EXTREMELY Anoying.

4. Formating the SD Card doesn't clean up this mess. Even though all the contents are gone, I've got 100's of thousands song listed in Music.

Horrible, Horrible. This is the most amateur application I've ever seen!

Distinguished Bibliophile
roustabout
0 Kudos

Re: Music Player App is one "Hot Mess"

For what it's worth, Android music playlists are a headache on most devices.  Android playlists don't specify files directly - they specify database rows in a system database, in essence (Google wants to do away with files completely and organize everything in databases, from what I've read.) 

I've more or less given up on playlists on my phone, and either play all tracks randomly or play all tracks in an album. 

"no warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized." Fourth Amendment to the US Constitution.
Contributor
Pulitzer_Fan
0 Kudos

Playlists and music works on both my Razr and my Xoom. They're both based on Android 4.1. On neither device do I see songs getting recreated everytime I do something on the device. I haven't determined if it's mounting the system through USB to my PC, power cycling or something else. I just know that after a week I have 7 copies of every song in my 2000 song library duplicated. None of these are real and I need delete the top 6 of every song. This causes problems because now you can't easily see the contents of an album. The entire page is filled with the same name.

I suspect that B&N purchased the Music player and aren't using the default Android Music player. I just wish they'd done even a little quality control. These problems show up so easy it's hard to believe a User Trial or testing didn't detect the condition.

roustabout
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Interesting - I've had terrible luck with playlists in the HTC music player app and read around enough to see that I was likely to have trouble bringing in m3us even when those worked on my computers.  

Perhaps I should try again on my phone :smileyhappy:  

I do agree that, as always, early BN software is dodgy on a new device.  They do a nice job of bringing good hardware to the table, especially on the display side.  For me, the display is the most important part of any tablet, and the HD+ display is a treat.  From what I've read, the N10 (500 for a 32 gig device, no sd card, and that's if you can find one) does not have one of the great Samsung displays but rather one of the marginal Samsung displays.  

The up side is that in this case, there's every indication that the modding folks are moving fast and already there's a very nice range of add-on tools available via ADB out of the box, and via other vendors with a bit more elbow grease.  

"no warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized." Fourth Amendment to the US Constitution.
patgolfneb

FWIW just to see if I could I did pair my HD+ with my car, 2011 Mazda. Barton Hollow sounded pretty darn good. Battery was draining pretty quickly so I will probably continue to use my phone, easier to charge, but an HD might be viable with a car charger, HD+ is really kind of large for this.

patgolfneb
0 Kudos

With OS update 2.04 play list can now be created. I didn't try to import one. Volume is now increased as well. At higher levels a lot ofdistortion however.

Contributor
deoren
0 Kudos

> 3. Song Phantoms keep getting created.

I too am having this problem.
Contributor
Pulitzer_Fan
0 Kudos

An update was pushed today. This appears to have corrected the Music Player problems.

Deleted my contents and resync'd the entire library.

1. No duplicates appear.

2. I'm also able to make Playlists.

The software Version is 2.0.4. I don't think this changed when the update took place. B&N might have just updated the Music Application.

Thanks...

Inspired Correspondent
Science_man

The ap store desperately needs a good music player, with equalizers.

I've emailed a few of the ap makers and they seem responsive - the guys from JRT Studio replied they "are looking into it".  I suggest others email them directly, as they are more apt to do it if there is large demand

MusicPlayer@jrtstudio.com   http://www.jrtstudio.com/RocketPlayer 

Another android based player that would be nice on the BN ap store is:

http://www.aplayerpro.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=3567&p=9525&hilit=barnes+and+noble#p9525     http://www.aplayerpro.com/

Contributor
Pulitzer_Fan
0 Kudos

Well it still creates duplicates and if I look at the SDCard on Explorer on my PC it also lists multiple directories. I can create playlists and get most of my music onto the SDCard, I just can't keep it clean and opeational.

Getting a little better, but not as quickly as I'd like.

New User
Will24
0 Kudos

I am also suffering from the same problem...All movies and music copied show about 10 copies each. I have tried deleting each file folder, and reformatting the microSD card (which for 10GB songs and about 12GB of movies took a while)..but to no avail. I have just stopped using music player completely and sideloaded Poweramp off of my android phone onto the Nook and ES file explorer to make playlists and explore and rename files. I just wish I could make shortcuts to the homescreen without holding the volume button and apps (or opening them through maxtheon browser).

Inspired Contributor
Michael_the_Writer
0 Kudos

Will24, Try sideloading a launcher (I used Go Launcher HD but whichever launcher you choose should work the same way.) When I press my "n" button, I can choose from Home (B&N's launcher) and Go Launcher, I select my new launcher, and voila! I can access my sideloaded apps. Much simpler than holder the volume and App heading to get the Extras menu and see your stuff. I love it.
Wordsmith
AlbionRose

I too have struggled with multiple copies of music and photo files - seems to be registry issues. One thing that really helped a lot was this suggestion from CS:

Tap settings cog

Tap all settings

Tap device information

With Device information screen open, press rhs volume button down & keep it down.  A grey box with blue volume line will appear. Still holding the vol + button down, tap the screen between the grey box and the word 'Settings'.

A new screen headed 'Diagnostic Info' will appear.

Tap on Debug & Diagnostics which is second to last on the list

Tap on the last option 'Advanced Debugging' to put a check in the box

Then exit the settings menu.

This sorted out my duplication of files issues. And doesn't seem to have slowed my device down.

But I am still treating file transfer to the SD card with kid gloves!

Wordsmith
AlbionRose
0 Kudos

The other thing that seems to help rectify the multiple copies situation is remove the SD card and put it back into the device.....

Contributor
deoren
0 Kudos

Do you have a good guide you can recommend for sideloading content on the Nook HD+?

The stock music app is still giving me trouble, even after cleaning out dead entries and letting it reindex the SD card where I keep my music.