New User
RebelRandy
0 Kudos

Must re-download same books again and again on HD+

Hello,

This is my first post--I hope this is in the correct location.

In August I upgraded my Nook Color to HD+ 32GB with an 8GB SD card. I have over 359 books (30 free books w/o copyright protection such as works of Jules Verne) and maybe 20 magazines. The device storage is only 40% full; SD storage has only 35MB used.

My problem is a strange one. I can download a book, open it to verify it downloaded, then close it. A couple of days later, it requires downloading again. I read somewhere there was a 5 book maximum simultaneous download, meaning you can only download 5 at one time. However, there appears to be a maximum number of books that can be downloaded to either a device or account. Although, with my Color I was able to download all the books (less the 24 books purchased since owning HD+. This does not make sense because I have seen some users state they have over 1000 books downloaded to their device.

I have tried putting my magazines on the "cloud" thinking there was a storage limit problem. Not the case. The other day, I downloaded a book--call it book A-(again), verified it was on device. Then downloaded another book-book B-, verified it was on device. However, book A was no longer on my device.

Other things I have done...rebooted device, removed SD card, moved books to cloud then downloaded again, uninstalled apps, etc. I have no idea what is going on.

Does anyone have any ideas? Is this normal? What can I do to correct this? I want all my books and magazines on my device. I do not want them stored on BN's cloud.

Thanks,

Randy

Long Live Colonel Reb
Contributor
Alwzreading
0 Kudos

Re: Must re-download same books again and again on HD+

I, too, have had this issue (I have 1000+ books, magazines). It seems to happen if I try to purchase a book and there's an error during the processing of my order. It's like it causes a line error in the software. From that point on, books will 'self-deport' themselves to the cloud. Unfortunately, so far, Nook Support has only been able to suggest that I deregister and re-register my NookHD to resolve the problem. It is a pain but it does resolve the issue. I just wish there was an automatically download all function. You know, a button you could select that would download all of a selected group for you. It takes quite awhile to restore my library. Hope this helps.
Distinguished Scribe
NookGardener
0 Kudos

RebelRandy wrote:

Hello,

This is my first post--I hope this is in the correct location.

In August I upgraded my Nook Color to HD+ 32GB with an 8GB SD card. I have over 359 books (30 free books w/o copyright protection such as works of Jules Verne) and maybe 20 magazines. The device storage is only 40% full; SD storage has only 35MB used.

My problem is a strange one. I can download a book, open it to verify it downloaded, then close it. A couple of days later, it requires downloading again. I read somewhere there was a 5 book maximum simultaneous download, meaning you can only download 5 at one time. However, there appears to be a maximum number of books that can be downloaded to either a device or account. Although, with my Color I was able to download all the books (less the 24 books purchased since owning HD+. This does not make sense because I have seen some users state they have over 1000 books downloaded to their device.

I have tried putting my magazines on the "cloud" thinking there was a storage limit problem. Not the case. The other day, I downloaded a book--call it book A-(again), verified it was on device. Then downloaded another book-book B-, verified it was on device. However, book A was no longer on my device.

Other things I have done...rebooted device, removed SD card, moved books to cloud then downloaded again, uninstalled apps, etc. I have no idea what is going on.

Does anyone have any ideas? Is this normal? What can I do to correct this? I want all my books and magazines on my device. I do not want them stored on BN's cloud.

Thanks,

Randy

No, that's not normal.  At 40% you should have plently of room. (Have seen people report problems once their library reaches the 1000 book mark, but you're no where close yet.) You might want to try and erase and reregister.

New User
RebelRandy
0 Kudos

Thanks for the replies...from what I have read on the web, most are suggesting the same (re-register device), but a portion indicate this did not help them.

I really like BN and have tried to support them so I hope in a new release or software upgrade this is addressed. I can still download all of my purchases on my Color and my Galaxy Tab 10. I will hold off on re-registering for now. I have so many apps, photos, docs on device I don't want to reload. That might not sound like a lot, but I am spending every waking moment looking for a job.

I will leave this thread open, in case someone has updated information.

Thanks,

Randy

Long Live Colonel Reb
Correspondent
cybersmoke53
0 Kudos

I have over 1000+ books.  I constantly have to re-download books. Sometimes it seems its the same ones over and over again.  Usually if I am actually "reading" the book I don't have to re-download it.

I've had to deregister/re-register multiple times with my HD+ for other issues that the disappearing to cloud books, but this process DOES NOTHING TO STOP the issue.  It has to be a software bug.  I find it very annoying.  When I do get ready to read some of my disappearing books I usually have to keep downloading it many times until it stays downloaded long enough to have the native reader app actually open it! Once I open the book with reader app it will usually stay on the HD+ until I finish reading it.  A few weeks later I can be browsing in my library and notice that a book I read the week before had auto-clouded itself.

I've stopped trying to figure it out. BN customer support is clueless.  I've showed the phenomena to the store Nook support associates and they too report it, but don't have any way to stop it.

Contributor
OreJen
0 Kudos

Me too. I have 1000+ books and I find it pathetic that I had to make a shelf labelled "Download", and I periodically go through and put all the undownloaded books there and download them AGAIN. Then next time maybe it is the same books that go *poof* or maybe it is others. So random and frustrating.

This never happened with my Nook Color and I sincerely cannot recommend the Nook HD + to anyone who would use it primarily for books. If I had blood pressure issues this would raise it.

I actually returned my first Nook HD + within the first month thinking this was an error. Imagine my chagrin when I discovered I had wasted everyone's time (including my own) when the new one did the exact same thing. Ugh!

Bibliophile
laurieb52
0 Kudos

Once you reach the magic 1000+ books in your B&N library number, many customers have books suddenly  start going back to the cloud. It rarely happens if you have fewer than 1000 B&N books in your library. It may have something to do with the amound of cloud storage available for each customer. Hopefully, when the B&N website gets its redesign next spring, this issue will be alleviated.

Life's a chair of bowlies...and it's all about Plan B!
Inspired Wordsmith
BFCoughlin
0 Kudos

I have fewer than 200 books, and my HD+ started doing this a few weeks ago. I thought it was perhaps because my NST was full.  I bought a new NG last week--once I get around to erasing the NST, I'll see if it's still an issue.

New User
RebelRandy
0 Kudos

I am not starting a second thread, so I just thought I would add this "symptom" here in the event the two instances could be related.

The problems of auto uninstall of books continues. I bit the bullet and did the deregister/re-register process. Problem still persists. In the past month, some of my magazines are now downloading without "covers". If I open the magazine, the cover is present without flaws, only when viewing listing of magazines is (are) the cover(s) missing.

From reading thru the posts, this has been an issue since early 2012. Most posters suggest "archiving" the magazine then download again. Does not correct issue. And of course, we have the old stand-by suggestion of Deregister/Re-register Device. I called "support"--now there is a misnomer of a word--and what I could decipher from the heavily accented English, is (1) BN support does not know of this problem--but when I offered to read posts in Community, s/he ?? backtracked and explained only they personally did not know of this problem (2) only suggestion was to cancel subscription and restart subscription. I asked how that would resolve the missing covers from the current issues and was told, it probably would not.

I am beginning to believe all the comments I hear/read that BN is incapable of supporting their products. I love their stores, and thought they had a great business model and with their success at selling books, they could really give Amazon a run for their money. Sadly, I think I was wrong.

Has anyone had any success with either of the problems listed here?

Happy reading.

Randy

Long Live Colonel Reb
New User
UserLB
0 Kudos

This is very disappointing to me.  I have not read any reviews about this issue nor have I been to this forum before today.

I ordered a new Nook HD + to upgrade from a Nook color a few weeks ago.  I noticed that I was having to re-download books and apps every day (we have less than 100 books and apps TOTAL).  This is going to be a very big deal when we go on vacation and should not be happening with such an expensive device. 

So I contacted digital chat and they advised me to first erase and deregister and then eventually after it kept happening every day, to do a factory reset, of course none of which resolved the problem.  So they sent me another new Nook HD + and no suprirse to me now after reading these comments, I am still having to re-download books and apps every morning. 

Why did B&N put me through the trouble of erasing and deregistering, and resetting to factory settings,  and then send me another Nook HD + when THEY KNEW (for how long is it now? )  that this is a product defect? 

What a waste of time, energy, and money.

Correspondent
Wulfraed
0 Kudos

On a new device only the most recent books are automatically downloaded (about five as I recall). Everything else may show the metadata but the content needs to be explicitly downloaded by tapping on the book and responding to any prompts (I've had my HD+ for nearly two years so don't recall the exact messages).

Baron Wulfraed
Distinguished Correspondent
Sandikal
0 Kudos

Wulfraed wrote:

On a new device only the most recent books are automatically downloaded (about five as I recall). Everything else may show the metadata but the content needs to be explicitly downloaded by tapping on the book and responding to any prompts (I've had my HD+ for nearly two years so don't recall the exact messages).

That's not the issue people are having.  When they go to their libraries, book that had been previously downloaded are marked as being in the cloud.  They download them again, but sometime later, they or other books end up back in the cloud.

Contributor
EricaW
0 Kudos

I have a nook tablet, and also the nook software on my ipad, and it's the same deal. I have far fewer than 1000 books on either device, but sometimes (and seemingly at random) a book I've purchased from B&N will disappear from my active library and have to be re-downloaded. Sometimes the icon is still there, but it has to download when I try to open it, but sometimes it disappears completely from the library as seen on the device. Sometimes it happens to books I've had a while and not opened, and other times it happens when a book is a recent purchase.

It's annoying, because sometimes I'm reading my device when I'm not someplace covered by wi fi, so I don't have access to B&Ns cloud.