Inspired Bibliophile
compulsivereaderTX

My shelving solution

I looked at goodreads but quickly became overwhelmed and decided to stick with Calibre. Since Calibre can see my HD+ but NOT the books in the main directoy, I downloaded all my BN content to my PC through Nook for PC. That took awhile, went and did other things and came back a few hours later.

In Calibre, I started a new library and called it my HD+ Library. Then I added all of my downloaded BN content from the directory Nook for PC had stored it in. I had already added a column called "store" where I made notes where I bought each book such as kobo, kindle, BN, etc. Because all the books in the new library were from BN, I did a "update metadata in bulk" and put BN in the store column and let calibre update all the books to indicate they were from BN.

Then, I did 100-200 books at a time and had Calibre download both the metadata and covers for the books. I set it to only look at BN. When the popup came up and told me that metadata could not find covers for all the books, I told it to change the metadata and then show me which books could not be found. About 10% had to be updated manually. Didn't take but a couple of hours to get all 2400 ebooks updated with covers, series, ratings, etc. There are about 10 that I'm going to have to figure out what book it is and who wrote it so I can do them manually because none of that is showing up in Calibre and of course, they are drm'd. grr...oh well, 10 out of 2400 is doable.

Calibre can handle up to 5 separate libraries BUT...the server will only display the one that is currently displayed on Calibre. If I want to be able to see ALL of my books, those on my HD+ and those not on my HD+, I'm going to have to make a library that contains all the books. I decided to add another library that I would add both libraries to so that I could still keep separate libraries of the original library and the HD+ library. I don't know that I will need them, but I thought I'd keep them until I decided I didn't need them anymore.

So made a 3rd library and imported all the books from both libraries. The metadata transferred as well so that is the library I will keep up on the server. I'll be able to tell what I have no matter where I bought it, and what I have on my nook and what I don't have on there. I'll use Calibres sort features as my shelves.

So far...working perfectly. LOVE it!!

Correspondent
Purple_Ice
0 Kudos

Re: My shelving solution

Okay but i dont get it. Why not just remove the DMR. I use Calibre but am not that familar with it. I like to put mybooks on more then one shelf. Some books i have on five different shelves at a time. What server? Totally lost me there. I use a kind of cross reference and have 12012 books on about 25 shelves.
Correspondent
Purple_Ice
0 Kudos

Okay but i dont get it. Why not just remove the DMR. I use Calibre but am not that familar with it. I like to put mybooks on more then one shelf. Some books i have on five different shelves at a time. What server? Totally lost me there. I use a kind of cross reference and have 12012 books on about 25 shelves.
Correspondent
Purple_Ice
0 Kudos

Sory my nook typed an extra 0 it should be 1212 books.
Inspired Bibliophile
compulsivereaderTX
0 Kudos

Purple_Ice wrote:

Why bother to remove the DMR? Any non-kindle drm book I put on my HD+ can be read by HD without stripping the drm from it and calibre can be used to manage your library whether the book has a drm or not. It's not required for Calibre to manage books that the drm be stripped away first.

Why bother to shelve at all when calibre can do that for me too, in multiple "shelves/tag sorts"? I have a rooted NC and a KF to read my kindle books on, but it's still nice to have those books listed in my library so I don't accidentally buy them again and know that they are kindle books and have to be read on my NC or my KF.

The books are available to me to read, every single one of them with or without a drm so I don't need to strip any of them. I want them shelved. I want to know which need to be downloaded from the nook cloud and which need to be downloaded from my calibre server and which need to be read on my KF or rooted NC. There are 10 that I don't know yet but it won't take that long to figure it out, just haven't had time, it was our turn for the family xmas dinner, busy day.

Calibre can be set up as a server so you can access and browse your library from your device via your web browser. You can download your books from there without hooking up to the computer so you are never in danger of losing your shelves because you hooked up to the pc. Since Calibre provides a more than adequate shelving system, I don't need shelves on my device anyway so I just don't have to worry about that anymore.

I wanted a comprehensive library of every single book I own so I know what I have and where it is. And I didn't want to spend days doing it.

Calibre can sort books by tags which are generally the same titles you give your shelves, but the tags are ALREADY in the books metadata. You don't have to make a single shelf or place a single book on a shelf. Want a historical romance? Sort by tags, choose H, scroll down to historical romance, find a book, you're done. Want a fantasy? Sort by tags, choose F, scroll down to the fantasy tag that you are interested in, find a book, you're done. Why bother to shelve at all when calibre does that?

Between my calibre library and my BN library I have over 6000 books, then about that many kindle books as well though i have not had time to add my kindle books to the library.....yet. This is soooo much less time consuming and hassle then shelving every single book even once, let alone multiple times. Most books have multiple tags already, so most books will show up under more than one tag. Why bother to manually shelve every book when I can find the book quicker and faster by sorting by tags through Calibre? I can sort by series too. Or publisher. Or whether I bought them on BN so I know whether they are on my nook (or in the cloud) or I know it's on my PC that I have to download to read.

I really didn't think it was necessary to strip the drm from a few thousand books just to read the metadata on it, when I could just tell calibre to download the metadata and let calibre do all the work for me in bulk while I went and did something else. Couldn't say how long it would have taken me if I sat there the entire time, but I was trying to get a dinner on for 30 people at the same time so it was a couple of hours between when I started and when I finished adding my BN library to my existing calibre library. I started the bulk metadata and cover download, left, came back later and let it do another few hundred while I went and did something else. Nine times out of 10, when calibre couldn't d/l the info, it was because the title had been written without spaces between the words or it had "with bonus material" and that had to be deleted from the title before Calibre could find the metadata. The rest of the "errors" worked fine when I ran them a second time. Because I told it to show me those books, I saved tons of time by not having to look for them and could easily see if I even needed to run them again or not and why if I did. Calibre is an amazing piece of software if you take the time to learn how to use it to it's full potential.

My purpose was to have my "shelves" aka tags made for me by someone else (in this case Calibre), and integrate my books on both my device and my pc, and know which ones had to be downloaded from calibre to read and which could be downloaded from the cloud to read.

This was the easiest solution for me. I didn't have to look anything up myself, or try to remember what a book was about, I didn't have to care if it was drm or not, I just had to put it all in a library, and let calibre do all the work for me.

I just had to set it up and tell calibre what I wanted it to do and it did it. :smileyhappy:  I'm all about doing things as easily and time saving as I can get away with. And Calibre is free too, just icing on the cake.

Bibliophile
5ivedom
0 Kudos

Thanks for sharing this Compulsive Reader.

I like this solution. I haven't tried arranging shelves yet because of all the reports of errors. Haven't tried Calibre either.

However, when I do shelves, think I'll just get Calibre and do what you have done. I like the idea of 'automatic shelves' via tags etc. and letting someone else do the work.

Correspondent
Wulfraed
0 Kudos

Considering some of the complaints in other categories... Why do I have the impression that the only Nook with reliable "shelves" is the First Edition?

Baron Wulfraed
Inspired Bibliophile
compulsivereaderTX

Wulfraed wrote:

Considering some of the complaints in other categories... Why do I have the impression that the only Nook with reliable "shelves" is the First Edition?

I'm basically lazy and would rather be reading a book, then shelving it. :smileyhappy: I didn't have that many books with my first nook that it was that big of a chore to shelve them, by the time I had my NC, I rooted it and used Aldiko to manage my libraries same as I'm now using Calibre on my non rooted hd+. Meaning I can't really comment on whether the NC or the NT shelving system is reliable or not. I have a NST, purchased AFTER the NC because it was on sale cheap, but again, never bothered to shelve it because I rooted it immediately and again, used Aldiko.

I like the looks of the shelves on the device, but don't like the work involved in shelving them once, let alone having to redo them all the time. The HD+ is really failing on this issue. Had to get creative and figure out a work around that is acceptable to me and works.

Bibliophile
laurieb52
0 Kudos

I actually found the shelving on the NC and Nook tablet to much more efficient than on the Nook 1st edition. The one feature the first edition had that was nice, and missing on the later editions was the ability to see which books were unshelved.

For the HD & HD+, in addition to the bug which causes shelves to go missing, you can no longer do a search and shelve from the search. Why that option went away beats me...

Life's a chair of bowlies...and it's all about Plan B!
Inspired Bibliophile
compulsivereaderTX

They also have Calibre software that you can install on a usb drive so that your library is always mobile. I don't know if you can get the server working from the drive or not, but you can move it from computer to computer, or to a laptap. If the server worked, you'd have to set it up for each computer or laptop you used it on. I already had my library saved to a usb drive (just the library, not the software) but I suppose it would be an advantage to have the software on it too in case of a pc crash.

Correspondent
Purple_Ice
0 Kudos

I guess im dense here. I understand the time and do appricate the reason for doing as you have. I like to tweek my books and have done so since i started getting ebooks. I guess i just like a little more control. Would you mine explaning the process on how you set Calibre up as a server and im assuming you leave your computer on in order to download them to your ereaders or do you use calibre over the internet and just use your reader to get on Calibrd to read the books? Also i tried putting Kindle books on Nook and they wont open without the DRM removed even if loaded from Calibre. I dont like using Adobe because i also have a Sony reader. Sony messes Adobe up for other readers. Been on the phone several times with both Adobe and Sony and cant get it straightened out sk finally went to Calibre.
Correspondent
Purple_Ice
0 Kudos

My nook Color and Nook Tablet have never let me down with shelving.
Inspired Bibliophile
compulsivereaderTX
0 Kudos

Purple_Ice wrote:
I guess im dense here. I understand the time and do appricate the reason for doing as you have. I like to tweek my books and have done so since i started getting ebooks. I guess i just like a little more control. Would you mine explaning the process on how you set Calibre up as a server and im assuming you leave your computer on in order to download them to your ereaders or do you use calibre over the internet and just use your reader to get on Calibrd to read the books? Also i tried putting Kindle books on Nook and they wont open without the DRM removed even if loaded from Calibre. I dont like using Adobe because i also have a Sony reader. Sony messes Adobe up for other readers. Been on the phone several times with both Adobe and Sony and cant get it straightened out sk finally went to Calibre.

I'm a voracious reader and I often stock up on books when there's a good sale. I really hate it when those books get lost in the multitude of books I already own and HD+ keeps losing my shelves. I really needed more control over my library and Calibre fits the bill for me. When I get the thing rooted, I might use the Calibre Companion app, but I'm not sure that it would do much more than what I've already done.

Here's my previous thread where I explained how to set Calibre up as a server.

http://bookclubs.barnesandnoble.com/t5/NOOK-HD-HD-Support/Accessing-Your-Calibre-library-from-you-HD...

You are right about the Kindle books. I rooted my NC in the past and use my Kindle app on it to read Kindle books so I've never bothered with stripping them. But yes, you would have to do that to convert those kindle books that are drm'd. Many are not though. Be warned, it is illegal to strip them and I'm sure a few people will pop up and tear you to pieces for even suggesting it as an option. :smileyhappy: I don't agree that buying a book you purchased with hard earned cash doesn't give you the right to actually READ what you bought, but that's my own opinion.

ADE is not compatible with the BN HD devices. I spent some time on the phone with CS there and they about had kittens when I told them I couldn't get ADE to see my HD+. Kind of mean about it too. I just drag and drop books from my ADE library to my HD+ now and only use ADE to actually download the books. It's not needed to actually place the books on your HD devices because they have ADE on them.

Inspired Bibliophile
compulsivereaderTX
0 Kudos

Purple_Ice wrote:
My nook Color and Nook Tablet have never let me down with shelving.

Don't know. I already owned a lot of books by the time I got my NC, then I rooted it and used aldiko to do it for me because I'm basically lazy. :smileyhappy:

Inspired Bibliophile
compulsivereaderTX
0 Kudos

oops...forgot to answer one of your questions. Calibre sets up a server with a url address that you access through your HD(+) browser. You can browse your library and you download the books to your device that you want to read. I imagine all of the nook devices can do this, but only the HD devices will be able to do this with drm'd books as they don't need ADE to transfer drm'd bookd from the PC to the device.

Since you access the server through your web browser, yes, the pc has to be on as does the Calibre server. You should be able to access it from anywhere unless you have firewall that prevents you from accessing it when you are not on your home network. If you run into that problem, you have to tell your firewall to allow accessing Calibre from outside the network. I can't tell you how to do that. My hubby does things like that for me. Yes, he looks askance at me as if to say "what the HELL are you trying to do NOW?" Right before he starts swearing and cussing at the computer while he does what I asked him to do. He is my hero. :smileyhappy:

Correspondent
Purple_Ice
0 Kudos

Isn't tweeking the meta tags and covers kind of like removing the tag on pillows that says do not remove under penality of law? Calibre even offers a generic cover to use for books without one but in order to use it you have to remove the DRM. Thanks for the link and your info. When i bought the program to remove the DRM my research said that it was legal as long as you own the bookand are not selling or giving it away. You even need to input your info in order to remove the DRM.
Correspondent
Purple_Ice
0 Kudos

ADE removes the DRM on books but my ADE is so messed up with old email adress and password i just gave up on it. Note to the wise with ADE always use same logon and passwkrd on all readers to advoid messing up your ADE. Yes it goes against the rule to use different logons and lasswords but go figure. I dont believe i would be ableto use Overdrive to borrow library books if i was so inclined. I just prefer to own the book outright. We have to pay to use the public library in our area of the states. Why pay to borrow a book when i can buy it instead? Your husband must be a teddy bear!
Inspired Bibliophile
compulsivereaderTX
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Purple_Ice wrote:
Isn't tweeking the meta tags and covers kind of like removing the tag on pillows that says do not remove under penality of law? Calibre even offers a generic cover to use for books without one but in order to use it you have to remove the DRM. Thanks for the link and your info. When i bought the program to remove the DRM my research said that it was legal as long as you own the bookand are not selling or giving it away. You even need to input your info in order to remove the DRM.

I repeat: Drms do NOT need to be stripped from a book for Calibre to download both a cover and metadata as that information is kept in a separate file. Any covers generated by Calibre are ALSO a separate file. I did not have to strip a single drm from any book to have all that information compiled in my library and to be able to download drm'd epubs to my HD+ without ADE. I just download them from the server. That's it.

People are missing the one major advantage that the HD devices have here: that books that are DRM'D in epub format don't need to have the drm removed. And it was never required to collect the metadata information and get covers for your library. Its simply no longer a necessary step unless you actually have to convert it to the proper format or ADD that metadata information to the actual ebookf file. The HD and HD+ have ADE on them that requires nothing more than for you to activate your ADE account on your device and download the book to your nook. (ADE no longer required to transfer your books TO your device, only to download them to your pc.) All metadata and covers in the drm'd book will show up on the HD devices in your main library.

SInce I am using Calibre to merely catalogue my BN library so that I know what I have and can browse by tags, I'm not planning to download those BN books from Calibre. I will only be downloading books that are NOT in my BN library. But having all the books in ONE library, allows me to quickly see what I have, if I'm missing a book in a series or just to let me know that I already have a book that I was interested in. By labeling all my books in my BN library as BN books with a customized column and a bulk edit, I can see at a glance which books are in my BN library(either on my device or get from the cloud) and which I have to download from Calibre to read.

The ONLY reason I download the metadata and covers for my BN library in Calibre is because Calibre can not always read the metadata in DRM books. I add them to my CALIBRE library simply to make browsing easier, to keep track of series, etc. It also provides the information that calibre needs to sort the books by tags that I use as my shelving solution. That info does not alter the ebook in any way, it's just there to make my life easier and more enjoyable. You can decide to not add it or use Calibre, however is easiest for you. I am simply sharing my own solution and how I did it and why it works for me. 

Once it occurred to me that I didn't have to worry about drms in this scenario and the HD devices, I just had to figure out exactly what I wanted in a library, how I planned to use it and then figured out how to do it with the least amount of steps involved. Stripping the drms from 6000 books is just one step too many for me when it's not necessary for my own purposes.

I have the advantage of having been using Calibre for awhile, albeit in a very basic manner, but have grown comfortable enough with it to start exploring many of its VERY useful functions. Some I still have to figure out and learn, but it is an awesome library tool if you take the time to learn what it can do for you.

You can place your ADE books into your dropbox folder for transfer if you wish, or you can point your calibre library folder to dropbox so your library can be downloaded from there as well if you can't get your server working, but you lose the shelving/cataloging of books then.

Inspired Bibliophile
compulsivereaderTX
0 Kudos

You are also able to add blank file to stand in for the actual book In Calibre. You may add the metadata to that file if needed, but you still have the book listed in your library for references to let you know that you own it. As part of the metadata, you can include the file type and where the actual file is located (device, folder, etc).

This technique is sometimes used to keep track of music or audiobooks or simply books you want to read.

Frankly, I'm too lazy to go this extra step. I like to do things with the fewest steps possible and still get the job done.

Inspired Bibliophile
compulsivereaderTX
0 Kudos

Purple_Ice wrote:
ADE removes the DRM on books but my ADE is so messed up with old email adress and password i just gave up on it. Note to the wise with ADE always use same logon and passwkrd on all readers to advoid messing up your ADE. Yes it goes against the rule to use different logons and lasswords but go figure. I dont believe i would be ableto use Overdrive to borrow library books if i was so inclined. I just prefer to own the book outright. We have to pay to use the public library in our area of the states. Why pay to borrow a book when i can buy it instead? Your husband must be a teddy bear!

ADE doesn't remove drm on books, it just transfers the drm rights of the book. I would call the Adobe CS and they will help you get it figured out. I had forgotten my password, had to change it, then go make sure it was changed on all my devices and computers. Then I had to call Adobe CS again to get more authorizations. The authorization only took a second. Trying to get ADE fixed on my PC took quite a bit longer, but they walked me through it.