Inspired Bibliophile
compulsivereaderTX

Re: My shelving solution

on rooting:

There was a post here this past week with the link:

http://bookclubs.barnesandnoble.com/t5/NOOK-HD-HD-Support/manual-nooter-style-HD-rooting-very-close/...

As I said in the thread, the instructions were very casual for a first time rooter, but I had rooted my NC using the manualnooter technique so I was familiar with the procedure. There are several posts throughout the discussion on tips, etc to do. They might have done the instructions a little easier since I did mine, but if you look through all the links provided, you should be able to solve any problems or figure out any questions you have.

Inspired Bibliophile
compulsivereaderTX

Calibre 9.12 is out now, updating may be helpful:

http://calibre-ebook.com/whats-new

Calibre 9.11 had an update that specifically applied to the Nook HD devices:

• When connecting to MTP devices such as the Kindle Fire HD or the Nook HD, speed up the process by ignoring some folders.

calibre will now ignore folders for music, video, pictures, etc. when scanning the device. This can substantially speed up the connection process if you have thousands of non-ebook files on the device. The list of folders to be ignored can be customized by right clicking on the device icon in calibre and selecting 'Configure this device'.

I don't know if the following is helpful to anyone but:

MOBI: When reading metadata from mobi files, put the contents of the ASIN field into an identifier named mobi-asin. Note that this value is not used when downloading metadata as it is not possible to know which (country specific) amazon website the ASIN comes from.

Distinguished Scribe
NookGardener
0 Kudos

compulsivereader-

First, let me thank you again for pointing this Catalogue feature thru Calibre out. It's  just so handy and solves so many issues! (I only have  couple of shelves at this point; reading now, to read next, and a couple for things I access a lot.) And i find using the search function a lot faster than endlessly scrolling through my books looking for a title so much faster (and not having to guess how the metadata for the title was entered is much less frustrating.  Way too many titles appear under the word "the" IMO.)

Here's my question. Lets say I have created a tag called "50 Classics to Reread."  This generates a nice list in my catalog. Is there a way to insert a checkmark or something on this list to mark which ones have been read? So can quickly view it and decide what to read next?  Does that make sense?

Any help you can provide on this topic is greatly appreciated.  TIA!

Inspired Bibliophile
compulsivereaderTX

Go to preferences, add your own column. hit the green plus sign on the right of the screen. You can choose the yes/no format and label/call it read. Leave the column type as yes/no. When you read the book, just mark it yes. You don't have to bother with no unless you are a glutton for punishment. :smileyhappy: When you make your updated catalogue, make sure that column of info is included in your catalog and it will be included when you send it to your device. That's the easiest way.

I keep columns for where I bought my books (BN/KOBO/Indie Author, Interweave Press, etc) and I keep a column that tells me yes or no if I've updated the metadata/cover and converted it so the cover will show up on my device. I can easily tell then if I need to fix it before I download it. Saves me time and money, I don't have to delete and redownloaded a fixed book with a cover or accidentally repurchase a book in another format that I already have (and I know where to find it if I have to download it again for any reason.)

I've been using Calibre Companion app on my modified HD+ and it keeps a catalogue for me on my device that I can browse even when not connected. Any info in my custom columns get added along with any updated info when I sync to Calibre on my PC. I'm really hoping that this app comes to the BN store. . 

Inspired Bibliophile
compulsivereaderTX

And I'm very happy that I could help in any way. So glad the catalogue is working out for you!

Inspired Bibliophile
compulsivereaderTX

I'm sure you already do this but for those who haven't made catalogs yet, you can include BN books in your catalog as well. You download the books in Nook for PC and then add them to your Calibre library or you can create dummy files for each book that are titled and have the cover and metadata added to them if you are strapped for space on your PC. Since I keep a copy of all my BN books on my PC for backup, I use those copies in Calibre and also back up my library to a usb drive. Marking them as BN books in my "store" column let's me know that they are available on my Nook and I don't have to download them from calibre. It is sooo helpful to have a catalog of every book I own together in one place for easy reference, especially when it comes to series.

Audiobooks and magazines can also be included in your calibre library and catalog. If you don't want to keep an actual copy of those files in calibre but want them listed there, you can make dummy files for them as well to use. You could potentially use calibre this way for just about anything you wanted to keep track of. You can have up to five separate libraries in calibre so it's easy to keep them separated if you find that more helpful. 

Also note: There is a Mobile Calibre program that allows you to install calibre to a usb drive so you can literally carry your Calibre library with you anywhere and use it without having to install Calibre to a PC!

Bibliophile
5ivedom
0 Kudos

That's interesting. I didn't know you could include B&N books in catalogs.

Inspired Bibliophile
compulsivereaderTX
0 Kudos

5ivedom wrote:

That's interesting. I didn't know you could include B&N books in catalogs.

If it's in your Calibre library, it can be included.