Contributor
Turpentine
0 Kudos

NOOK HD+ doesn't connect to PC

Hi you all,

A couple of weeks ago, I purchased a NOOK HD+, and I have to say I like it very much. Only problem I have with it, is that it won't connect to my PC.

First of all: both my NOOK and my Windows 7 computer are fully updated, and so is Windows Media Player (which seems to be important for the MTP thingy).

So far I've tried:

• Connecting it as an MTP. Windows then tries to install the appropriate drivers, but fails to do so. My NOOK shows up as a device with removable storage. More precisely as a FAT drive that's only 253 kB in size, containing one single file: MyNOOK Setup.html, which is basically a link to the Mac OS drivers for the NOOK.
  • Connecting it as a PTP - after removing the faulty MTP installation and rebooting both NOOK and PC. But nothing happens at all.
  • I've tried all this on different USB ports.
  • I've downloaded the Microsoft MTP protocol update, without any effect.
  • Performing a factory reset on the NOOK. Once again, without any effect.

Strange thing is that my NOOK does connect to my father's PC, where it shows up as an MTP device.

On the other hand, I've connected and successfully installed numerous devices on my PC without any hassle - amongst others Android phones (plural) that also make use of MTP.

Please help me connecting my NOOK to my PC, so I can start loading it with media files. :-)

Inspired Wordsmith
Swamprat
0 Kudos

Re: NOOK HD+ doesn't connect to PC

Don't have any suggestions on your connection problems but Dropbox or other "cloud" storage apps and wireless file exporter programs (Open Explorer from B&N, lots of others from GoPS) are alternatives for transferring files to the HD+. Good luck and please post a solution if you find one!
Contributor
Turpentine
0 Kudos

Thank you for your response. I will look into the alternative sharing methods you suggest.

Does anyone, however, know how to solve the connection through USB? After many hours of failed attempts, I'm so frustrated...

Scribe
Froide
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

I don't have a solution for the faulty usb connection and hope you will receive help with that soon, as it seems to be a common problem. In the meantime (and as a handy alternative once the problem's solved), have you tried performing the same functions using an app that provides wireless file management capabilities? Two examples are WiFi Explorer Pro by dooblou and WiFi File Server by Minstech Software. NOTE: both are paid apps through the NOOK Store but may be priced differently in Google Play.

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. ~Groucho Marx

[My quicklinks to pick/post limited-time ebook and audiobook freebies in the Limited-Time NOOKbook Freebies and Official OT threads.]
Contributor
Turpentine
0 Kudos

Usually, I'm actually pretty good at fixing issues of this kind - but this one is hard to beat.
Contributor
Turpentine
0 Kudos

So far, I've tried file managers like Astro and ES File Explorer.

That way, I can transfer files to my NOOK, but that goes verrrry slowly — which is extremely annoying as I'm mainly tranfering video files...

Frequent Contributor
jrlt
0 Kudos

I have this problem with my pc. I have both the nook color and the hd+. I use the hd+ and my grandmother uses the color. For some reason the computer gets confused between the two.

When i plug the hd+ in after using the color i have to go into the device manager and uninstall the driver. Unplug the device and then plug it back in and let the computer reinstallnthe driver. Then im in business.

I hope this help you.

So ready for this to be the end, for this to be the twilight of your life, though your life has barely started. You’re ready to give up everything. - Edward Cullen
Contributor
Turpentine
0 Kudos

@jrlt

I tried that numerous times. But without any effect. After every remove-reboot, Windows 7 re-installs the same faulty MTP device.

Maybe there are some third party MTP drivers that I can use?
Inspired Correspondent
Fat_Old_Guy

My nook seems to only like my USB 3.0 ports.

New User
scoutyjones2
0 Kudos

Try disabling the USB port within windows, rebooting the computer, enabling the USB port, rebooting and then connecting the Nook once the computer is back up and running. 

Contributor
Turpentine
0 Kudos

I haven't tried that last suggestion yet. But how could that possibly work? My USB ports are working fine with basically everything I throw at them - except for the NOOK.

Correspondent
Wulfraed

It should result in a driver purge and reload.

Baron Wulfraed
Contributor
Turpentine
0 Kudos

I did the USB disable > reboot > enable > reboot > connect NOOK thing, but still it shows up as a drive of 253 kB.

:smileysad:

Wordsmith
AlbionRose
0 Kudos

Hmmm - I'm with Swamprat and Froide on this one - in finding a work-around rather than trying to resolve an unknown issue....

It sounds as if the issue is specific to the 'your pc and your Nook' combination.  

If the HD+ works with your father's pc, it's not the Nook and it's not Windows 7.

It may be some hidden setting in your pc that has been altered by the previous connection of numerous other Android devices.  Which sounds like it would be a nightmare to find!

Other than being annoying that it isn't working as it should, are there any processes you need to do with the Nook that can't be done wirelessly or using a cloud of some description?