Frequent Contributor
nooker10
0 Kudos

NOOK HD+ not recognised on my PC

I just bought a NOOK HD+ I download alot of ebooks from my public library, which I access from Adobe Reader. On my old Nook 1st ed. I just had to plug in the USB cord to my Pc and drag the book to my Nook. My new HD+ Nook's logo does not show up when I plug in the USB cord. Help how do I get my Borrowed ebooks into my Nook HD?

Inspired Bibliophile
compulsivereaderTX

Re: NOOK HD+ not recognised on my PC

ADE does not recognize the HD devices. You'll have to find the directory the book is located in and drag it from there to your HD+ into a folder you can remember where you put it. :smileyhappy:

On most windows pcs, you'll find it in your My Documents in the My Digital Editions folder.

In the settings of your HD+, in account settings, make sure your ADE account is activated and you'll be able to read your book without needing ADE to put it on your device for you. Do that before you add your book.

Or you can get the OverDrive app and use that to go to your public library, and download the book from there. Depends on whether you prefer reading on the stock reader or OD. I don't care much for the OD reader myself.

Inspired Correspondent
Science_man
0 Kudos

Did recommendation above work?

If not, what windows version are you using?  XP, windows 7/8?

My understanding is that the memory (at least the MicroSD card) is formated in a newer format to allow more efficient use of very large files (movies) and that windows XP does not natively recognize this format, unless an update from microsoft is installed.

Inspired Contributor
gogirlEH
0 Kudos

What if you have windows vista
Bibliophile
5ivedom
0 Kudos

Here's one thing you can try that MIGHT work in letting your PC see your Nook's drive and folders.

1) Settings > Storage Management > USB Connectivity.

2) Switch from MTP to PTP.

Note: This will change how your device is seen. It's Camera Mode. I don't fully understand what it changes. However, for some users, it lets them see the Nook's drives in PTP mode when MTP does not work.

Wordsmith
JinSC
0 Kudos

Nooker10

had the same problems.  After you have activated your ADE account on your HD,try this:

1) Dowload book from public library to ADE on PC.

2) Open Explorer>Libraries>Documents>My Digital Editions

ALTERNATELY:Computer>Local disc C>Users>Name>My Documents>My Digial Editions

3) Drag and drop or Copy to folder. I selected My Files>Books on the HD

4) Disconnect HD. Open My Files>Books. Find book. Press and hold, and Add to Home.

Peace,

Jeremy

Frequent Contributor
nooker10
0 Kudos

I am using Windows 7
Frequent Contributor
nooker10
0 Kudos

How do I activate my ADE acct on my HD?
Bibliophile
5ivedom
0 Kudos

nooker10,

1) Go to Settings. You can do this by tapping or sliding down on the settings icon at the top right of every page.

2) Go to Account Settings

3) Click on 'Adobe Digital Editions.

4) AFter a second or two you'll see a button that says 'Add User'

click on that.

Note: It's important to do it from here (from Settings > Account Settings > Adobe Digital Editions). If you try to do it from the book it sometimes won't work.

New User
School_at_home_Momma
0 Kudos

Re: NOOK HD+ not recognized on my PC

I tried everything to get my Nook HD+ to be recognized by my computer and had so many people trying to figure it out.  Last night I turned on my Nook, went to the setting; all setting; storage management; USB connectivity the Media devise (MTP) was checked~I changed the check to Camera (PTP)~~~~it works now!

Frequent Contributor
seacitylady
0 Kudos

I have Windows 8. I have been unable to find a way to make the settings changes mentioned above. I tried searching Win Help for all the terms mentioned & nothing comes up. About the only info on USB devices & cameras is how to attached them.

Correspondent
Wulfraed
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

seacitylady wrote:

I have Windows 8. I have been unable to find a way to make the settings changes mentioned above. I tried searching Win Help for all the terms mentioned & nothing comes up. About the only info on USB devices & cameras is how to attached them.

The mentioned settings are not Windows settings -- those are Nook configuration items.

As for Win8… Do you have a full computer version or a device running the RT version?

Baron Wulfraed
Bibliophile
5ivedom
0 Kudos

Seacity Lady - Windows 8 is SUPER spotty with Nook HD and HD+.

If you have either of these then I'd recommend using Dropbox or Open Explorer instead.

As Wulfraed said, the settings are on Nook.

The only thing you have to do on Windows 8 end is wait for Windows 8 to pick drivers.

Also, with Windows 8 it can change every time you plug in. Android uses MTP and since Nook HD/HD+ OS is built on Android, it too uses MTP.

MTP file protocol has lots of problems and some of these cause it to not work well with Windows 8.

Sometimes it takes trying a few times.

IN rare cases restarting PC and Nook while Nook is plugged into PC.

Frequent Contributor
seacitylady
0 Kudos

I just filled out a bug report on Calibre site. I can get the Win 8 to recognize the device only by changing the setting to Camera on the Nook. If I change it to MTP the device shows up as a drive letter & no files can be seen although it does show that a crippled BNTV600 device is present. Calibre does not recognize the device on either setting. This is very bad news as Calibre is my main source for transfers. I can email a file a book file to the HD+ from Calibre which would be the easiest work around but I can't get the attachment to open on the HD.

Since MS is now a BN "partner" on some level this is ridiculous. A lot of people are buying new computers and they are all going to have Win 8 installed so this, and the ADE issue need to get fixed. If you make a device that is buggy & people need to jerry-rig to use nobody will buy it.  

Frequent Contributor
seacitylady
0 Kudos

This is the response I got from the developer of Calibre, Kovid Goyal. Unless the BN "Erase & Deregister" dept (AKA Customer Support) he is very responsive.

There isn't much I can do if your device isn't being recognized as an
MTP device by windows. That is a minimum requirement for calibre to work
with it. You can try one of the wireless connection methods described
here instead:
http://manual.calibre-ebook.com/faq.html#how-do-i-use-app-with-my-android-phone-tablet-or-kindle-fir...

Distinguished Scribe
NookGardener
0 Kudos

Do you have anything against Dropbox? Somewhere on the forum someone talked about setting up their Calibre library to Dropbox and then accessing their books that way. It's just a thought.

Distinguished Scribe
NookGardener
0 Kudos

Here's another thought. What about copying from Win 8 pc to a micro sd card and using that instead? Not ideal, but it might work.

Frequent Contributor
seacitylady
0 Kudos

My Calibre folder is way to large to commit to dropbox. Think I will try and set up the content server as described in the Calbre manual. Wish we would get the Calibre Companion app but can only use that if your rooted or using N2A. I have an N2A for my Nook but not for the HD+.

Bibliophile
5ivedom
0 Kudos

I'd recommend using Dropbox or Open Explorer. MTP is a file protocol that has lots of problems in general and problems with Windows 8 in particular.

It even has problems with Windows 7 often.

New User
CM66
0 Kudos

I had the problem of Nook HD+ not being recognised by my laptop when plugging into the USB. (It showed some files but not the main ones). I read something about the NOOK using drivers from Windows Media Player 11. I installed the latest WMP (version 12) and it works now.