Contributor
TheCookLadies
0 Kudos

NOOK HD very sluggish

Hi all,

I've had my nook hd since January, and within the past month or so the performance has been very sluggish. For example, when returning to the home screen, it often takes about a minute to completely load the icons. After the screen loads, I can't tap on any icons. Also, When scrolling through the home screen, app icons, or opening web browsers, the screen display is lagging behind. Any suggestions? The only remedy I've found is restarting, but even this is only temporary for the problem usually begins the next time I use it.

Inspired Contributor
NightfallJC
0 Kudos

Re: NOOK HD very sluggish

It could be an app running in the background or at start up. What apps do you have running when this happens?

Contributor
TheCookLadies
0 Kudos

I also figured that could be causing it. I only have a few apps, Pandora, Pulse, HULU, and a few others. I'm assuming though that they are constantly running since there isn't an "exit" function like there is on an iphone or ipad. I thought turning the nook off would shut everything down, but I don't think that's the case. Any idea how to force quit these apps? I've searched around with no luck.

Frequent Contributor
Bluepen61
0 Kudos

Click on the upper right-hand corner to get the settings dropdown menu.

Select All Settings.

Select Applications.

Scroll the right-hand list up and select My Apps.

Select the app you want to force stop.

Press on the Force stop button.

Press the back arrow left of the Settings title to return back to where you were.

That's it!

Not all who wander are lost. ---J. R. R. Tolkien
Nook HD 8 GB, Stock Root and Other Mods
Contributor
TheCookLadies
0 Kudos

Great, Thank you! I'll try this out and hopefully my NOOK will be running a bit more swiftly

Inspired Contributor
NightfallJC
0 Kudos

You could also get an app killer from Google Play to force close apps.

Contributor
TheCookLadies
0 Kudos

That's very true, I've looked up what others say about App killers and it could be an option. After force quitting my apps through the settings folder, the home screen still freezes. I get the messege, "home is not responding" and I have the option to close it or wait. If I close it, it takes me back to whatever I was doing before pressing the home button, and the process starts over.

Inspired Correspondent
Fat_Old_Guy
Contributor
TheCookLadies
0 Kudos

Hi all,

Thanks for your input. It turned out I needed to do a factory reset to get my nook back in working order. It is running much better now. However, I'm still getting the occasional "Home is not responding" messege. Any thoughts on this?

Frequent Contributor
Bluepen61
0 Kudos

A factory reset? Ouch. I hope you didn't loose any personal data.

Usually powering off the HD and then turning it back on improves the performance.

Contributor
TheCookLadies
0 Kudos

Yeah, I was concerned about the factory reset too. But I had most of my files on my computer as well, so no problem there. I have found that turning it off helps, but the problem starts up again within the hour or so. I think the new "library sync" feature is messing up my performance. When my wifi is unavailable or even off, the sync keeps trying to go through. Is there any way to stop this auto-sync? I turned off the "auto-sync app data" option in settings, but that didn't help.

I may go back to B&N for some tech help on this one. The nook HD is great, but not when its this sluggish.

Frequent Contributor
Bluepen61
0 Kudos

The time my HD is slow is when I use Opera Classic (not Opera Next) and I am on a Weather Underground page. There is something about this page and Opera that consumes the cpu/harddrive. Fortunately, Opera Classic is one of the few apps that has an (optional) Exit button to close the app.

Thinking out loud, if it is a sync issue, are your apps up to date? Or maybe the number of book, magazines, etc are excessive. Just thinking, I don't have many B&N active, most of the books are archived.

Contributor
TheCookLadies
0 Kudos

Yeah, when I went in for support at my local B&N, one of the issues was that a lot of things were active at once but weren't closing when I "forced quit" them. I went to B&N again last night and the tech support was great. I figured I'd post to let you all know what happened, in case anyone else has this issue. The tech supporter concluded that my nook HD had some glitches with the Google Play update, and the download files were corrupted and unable to function properly on the device. After retrying the download with the factory reset, I had the same problem. Luckily, I was within the 1 year warranty so my nook was replaced under "warranty exchange." The tech supporter said this is an extremely rare issue, so I suggest if your nook's performance is struggeling after the update, go in and talk to a tech supporter if you can!

Thanks for all your help everyone!