Inspired Contributor
sflawguy1
0 Kudos

Need a good alternative reader to read BN books with.

I've bought several books from BN and now a couple of them don't work right with the built-in BN reader program.  On the first, the text is either too small to be readable, or so large that I would have to read the book one word at a time.  On the second, the text size control has no effect and the text is too small to read.

I think I need an alternative reader that works a bit better.  I don't mind paying a few bucks, if it will work.

Any suggestions for a reader that can handle BN books?  I tried Moon Reader but it could not find the BN books on my nook.

Thanks in advance.

Bibliophile
bklvr896
0 Kudos

Re: Need a good alternative reader to read BN books with.

It might be the books, not the reader.  It depends on how the books are created how much control you have.  I have one book that has some paragraphs in a very small text and I can't change them regardless of what device or app I try to use. Another reader may or may not help.

Distinguished Scribe
NookGardener
0 Kudos

Did you try sideloading a copy of the book for Moonreader to find? 

Inspired Wordsmith
Swamprat

Tried posting a response from my HD+ but the spell checker froze - another really frustrating problem!

First, I assume that you are trying to view books in ePub format and have the "use publishers\'s defaults" option unchecked - if not, the text size adjustments have no effect.  If they are in PDF format, I don't think there is a way to change the text size - you have to resort to pinching and zooming.

Have you tried looking at the books on a PC using either the B&N app or, If they are DRM free, using the viewer in Calibre or Sigil (Sigil will allow viewing and editing of the HTML code)?

It would be helpful if you would identify the specific books you are having problems with.  If there are samples available or if they are lendable, someone could take a look at them and see if the problem is the same.

As someone else noted, to make the books visible to non-B&N readers, you need to download them to a PC using the B&N PC app and then "sideload" them to the visible (not hidden) partition on the nook, usually to the myfiles folder.

No personal experience with the Moon reader - I like FBReader and others on these boards have made positive comments on the Aldiko and Mantano (sp?) readers

I have no personal expe

Inspired Contributor
sflawguy1
0 Kudos

As someone else noted, to make the books visible to non-B&N readers, you need to download them to a PC using the B&N PC app and then "sideload" them to the visible (not hidden) partition on the nook, usually to the myfiles folder.

Thanks swamp, I think this is the next step to try.

One specific book is I, Zombie, by Hugh Howey (of Wool fame.)  The text size and font can't be changed, though line spacing and margins can be adjusted. 

I downloaded straight to nook from BN.  I'll try the indirect route and then read it with another reader.

Calibre may work as well, since it may remove some attributes that are keeping text and font fixed.  Any advice on this is appreciated.

Inspired Wordsmith
Swamprat
0 Kudos

sflawguy1 wrote:

Thanks swamp, I think this is the next step to try.

One specific book is I, Zombie, by Hugh Howey (of Wool fame.)  The text size and font can't be changed, though line spacing and margins can be adjusted. 

I downloaded straight to nook from BN.  I'll try the indirect route and then read it with another reader.

Calibre may work as well, since it may remove some attributes that are keeping text and font fixed.  Any advice on this is appreciated.

FWIW, I downloaded the free sample and had the same results you are getting - the text is small but readable on my HD+ and I can change the font, line spacing and margins but not the point size,

.  I noted that the book is lendable, so you might be able to "lend" it to someone more knowledgeable than me who can solve the problem.  My guess is that it is something in the HTML markup that is forcing a fixed font size in points rather than allowing it to be adjusted incrementally from a base size.  If the DRM were stripped, it might be a relatively simple matter to remove that code.  Unfortunately, this is beyond my relatively limited capabilities,  I have primarily used Sigil to convert text files to epuba with simple formatting.

Good luck - if you find a solution, please post the information.

SR

Bibliophile
5ivedom
0 Kudos

Calibre would work after you remove DRM.

Why not try it on Kobo App using Android Store or Kindle App?

I think Overdrive reads ePub.

Distinguished Scribe
NookGardener

Downloaded the sample as well and got the same results on the HD (small, unchangable font.) You know what is even odder, on the NT, the font is a little larger. Still unchangable, but larger. And loaded it into another reader app with the same results. So it looks like you are back to calibre.

Here's another thought. You might want to consider contacting the author. (I'm not into zombies myself, but have to say, his web page is quite entertaining.) My initial impression of his page was that he was a forward thinking guy when it comes to the future of publishing. And he might welcome the information (and hopefully do something about it.) Approach him with a "Hey, did you know..." attitude, not a whiny one. While you might be willing to go through the steps to fix the epub to make the text readable, suspect a number of readers would just give up. And just not buy his stuff again. It's in his own self interest to fix it, so maybe he can update the epub.  Just a thought.

Bibliophile
5ivedom

He's a very proactive author. If you report the issue he'll get it fixed.

Inspired Contributor
Miss_Kilman

If you are still looking for an alternative reader (just because you might want one even though people have offered you tips for having your main issue corrected), I would reccomend Aldiko. Sadly, the earlier advice regarding importing BN books to your sd card still holds true for Aldiko. I don't know of any reader apps that will mine your device's internal memory to dredge up books. That small caveat aside, it is an absolutely stellar reading app and has really great customizations. There is a free version and a paid version, and if you don't like ads I recomend the paid version. You can look up Aldiko in Google Play and read their blurb for specs on all the functionality. Some things that consistantly stand out are the shelving/tagging/sorting functions. They leave the BN reader in the dust!

Inspired Contributor
sflawguy1
0 Kudos

Thank you everyone for your advice.

I downloaded the book using the PC nook application.  Then I converted it from an epub to an eput in Calibre.  After sideloading onto the nook HD, I opened it in FBreader and was able to change text size.

Not sure if I needed to convert from an epub to an epub using Calibre, but I thought the process may remove some of the "stuck" formatting.

I think it took me longer to do this that to read the book.

I'll try Aldiko to see how that is, Miss Kilman.

Thanks again!

Distinguished Bibliophile
bobstro
0 Kudos

If you contact the author, let him know that the sample has the problem of no resizable text in the NOOK Android app. I also opened the same B&N-sourced (unmodified) epub in Mantano Reader (which can handle B&N DRM) and it too is unable to resize the text.

Distinguished Bibliophile
roustabout
0 Kudos

A nice bennie of FB Reader is that there is  quick hack built right in for shelving - once you have multiple books and view by author or by title, the list is broken out into all starting with A, all starting with B, etc. in your library view.

There is a free (root required) app called fbsync which lets you synch all of your books, not just the BN books, across all your devices.  

"no warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized." Fourth Amendment to the US Constitution.