Inspired Correspondent
The_Imperfect
0 Kudos

Netflix turns blue when ported to tv?

So, our store got the cables to plug a nook into a tv.  The nook video looks fine, but when I try to watch a Netflix video from my nook on the tv, ... everything is very, very blue.  The people look like smurfs.

If I disconnect, the Netflix picture on the nook is normal.  Plug it back into the tv ... there's a split second of normal color before--pff!--everything is super blue.  If I skip around in the video, there's a split second of normal color before it settles into blue again.

We tried changing the contrast, the tint, colors, etc.  I really can't figure out what's going on.  I would rarely get a brief flicker of "invalid format" before or after plugging in/unplugging the device, but everything else connects and displays with no problem (so far!). 

It is an HD+.  The tv is an LG lcd HDtv. 

Anyone else have this or know what's wrong?

Bibliophile
5ivedom
0 Kudos

Re: Netflix turns blue when ported to tv?

1) You should contact Netflix and report it. I searched online and some Android users mention something similar with Netflix.

One person had a suggested fix but it involved things not accessible in Nook (and probably not in Android phones either) - turning off hardware GPU acceleration.

2) IT's a long shot but one person online said that changing screen to maximum brightness fixed it.

3) Do you have an AMOLED screen TV (don't even know if they exist).

Correspondent
Wulfraed
0 Kudos

1. Have you tried other HDMI devices on that TV (a blu-ray player or such) If it also shows blueish, you have a faulty TV
  2. Have you tried the HD+/HDMI on some other TV (if it turns bluish you likely have either a faulty cable or faulty HD+)
  3. Have you tried exchanging the cable (if a second cable also shows blue, blame the HD+)

Off hand the momentary proper colors followed by shift to bluish seems to indicate a signal power problem to me... A capacitor or resistor resulting in saturating the blue channel (which is weird since HDMI is a digital interface, so capacitor/resistor should only appear in the D/A converter in the TV driving the display itself -- not in the HDMI to D/A logic. Signal cross talk on the cable might have an effect...

Baron Wulfraed
Frequent Contributor
geertm
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

It could be the Netflix copy protection is causing problems with either the B&N HDMI adapter or the TV.

Make sure the TV is updated with the latest firmware.

Is there any Netflix content like trailers or samples with perhaps no copy protection that you can try?

Inspired Correspondent
MusicmanGG
0 Kudos

Just received my HDMI adapter and I also get the blue hue on Netflix when attached to my TV. I tried it on a plasma and LCD TV with the same blue result. Crackle plays fine.

I did notice that if you pause the video in Netflix the color comes on correctly. So it must be the app....
Inspired Contributor
gogirlEH
0 Kudos

mine is blue too.  hope they get this fixed

Distinguished Bibliophile
roustabout
0 Kudos

An interesting gotcha for the combo of:

- Netflix

- Subtitles provided by netflix 

- HDMI adapters

- Android 4 devices 

the subtitles don't play on the attached TV.

Discovered this recently with my phone, and learned it was not just my phone but Android 4 generally.  

Sorry to hear about the blue cast of Netflix over HDMI

"no warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized." Fourth Amendment to the US Constitution.
patgolfneb
0 Kudos

Why are you using the hd to stream netflix to a TV? I can see content you have sideloaded, especially away from home. I stream using my blue ray player or pc over wi fi at home. Just curious when a nook would be the best option?

roustabout
0 Kudos

Controlling netflix on a touchscreen is much better than on a remote for me, and the nook is instant-on and nearer than a computer much of the time. Especially if a few folks are watching it is nice, and most tv sets have better to much better sound.
"no warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized." Fourth Amendment to the US Constitution.
Bibliophile
5ivedom
0 Kudos

That's an interesting point Roustabout.

Makes me think of what some people claim Apple's Apple TV strategy will be.

An Apple TV or an Apple TV settop box. Controlled via users' choice of iPhone or iPad or iPad Mini.

Also read an article recently (forget where) about how TV viewing is beginning to shift to TV+Tablet viewing for lots of people.

Frequent Contributor
thegriff
0 Kudos

5ivedom wrote:

An Apple TV or an Apple TV settop box. Controlled via users' choice of iPhone or iPad or iPad Mini.

Slightly off topic but this is exactly the setup I find myself using more and more these days.  I'm slowly moving away from Roku and towards more streaming from iPad to AppleTV.  Now if my Nook could stream to the Roku....well that'd be plain cool.