Inspired Correspondent
The_Imperfect
0 Kudos

New Audio Book Apps

I was checking what apps are new and discovered that the last couple weeks, they've added a number of popular books as audio books in app format for the HD(+).  I love that these are being added, because that means it'll be much, much easier to get audio books onto a nook!

For those with HD(+), I've found a good way to find them is to Search the Shop for "Audio book" and Refine to App and Newest first.

But, I've found some that say they are audio and ebook bundles, ... and I can't find the ebook part?  I noticed it today looking at some of the Sookie books.  http://www.barnesandnoble.com/s/True-Blood-App?keyword=True+Blood+App&store=allproducts&view=list 

Some say "Audio Book" and are 12.99.  Some say Bundle and are 14.99, implying that you are paying more for the additional content.  I tested buying one in B&N on a demo unit but ... can't figure out where the ebook part is.  It doesn't seem to add to the library or to be in the app menus anywhere.

Is the label (and maybe $) wrong on these bundles?  Am I missing something?  (I hope so, because bundles would be such a great addition.)

The apps are by Mobifusion, whose website is just one big under construction sign, so not much help there.

Bibliophile
5ivedom
0 Kudos

Re: New Audio Book Apps

thanks The_Imperfect.

I was checking the database for one of our apps (which searches Nook Apps) and found these today.

You can also get our app, Apps Buddy - http://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/app-deals-app-search-new-apps-new-games-game-deals-apps-games-buddy-..., and then search for 'Mobifusion'. It'll show you all the apps. Then you can buy what you like from within our app itself - it opens up a B&N window.

Inspired Bibliophile
compulsivereaderTX
0 Kudos

I was excited to see this but like you, I couldn't find mention of how to access the ebook either.

I'm very interested in such things, but I'm surprised they are offered as apps developed by non BN developers. I was under the impression that BN didn't allow the selling of content (ebooks and audiobooks) that would be in competition with BN itself? Though I suppose since it is only one content per app and sold within the store, BN would be making money off that sale.

Does this allow for the possibility of opening up to developers that create apps that serve a need that BN has not done so far? That would be something new for BN. :smileyhappy:

If so, this would open up the app store to content like Calibre Companion or an app that 5ivedom had talked about developing in another forum that would also address library management. The thought was that such apps would be shot down as they would allow non BN content to be opened on the devices rather than simply managing content. Not read within the app, only opened within the app for reading on the stock reader. Though Calibre on the PC does allow for purchasing from BN and other venders, the

Calibre app only manages the tranfer of content and management of that content on the device.

Am I just dreaming or is this a real possiblity?

Distinguished Correspondent
celandinehobbit
0 Kudos

A different alternative (and a free one) would be to download the Overdrive Media app and search through your local library for audiobooks. The selection is limited to what your library offers, but if you're not too picky you might find something worth listening to. 

All you need is a library card and a pin number (which you set up) to download audiobooks as well as any ebook. You have two weeks, I believe, to read/listen and then it will be automatically returned to your library. No late fees!

Bibliophile
5ivedom
0 Kudos

Compulsive Reader, B&N gets a 30% cut of apps. Unless they have some special arrangement with the ebook app company, they'll be getting 30%. Which isn't bad.

Not sure how much B&N would get if it were to sell the stuff itself.

I don't think allowing management of books is a priority for B&N.

Inspired Correspondent
The_Imperfect
0 Kudos

From what I've read, the traditional vendor cut for books is 30%, and the cut for the publisher is 70%.  So, the app providing one unit of content would mean the same cut for B&N.  (This is also why the non ibooks reader apps on Apple have no shops; Apple also takes 30% of any purchase within the app, eating 100% of the vendor's share.)

CelandineHobbit, I have seen the Overdrive app.  I love the whole no late fees part (and I read more diligently when I have deadlines.)  But I'm curious about these "bundle" edition apps that seem to suggest that you get the text and audio combined (except, I can only find audio).  It's still great to have a really straightforward way to add audio books, whether there's text or not.  But since it says text and I can't find it, I'm confused.

Distinguished Wordsmith
Froide
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]
@CELANDINEHOBBIT - Some free, non-library books and audiobooks download directly into Overdrive. Some examples include the weekly YA and classics audiobooks offered in SYNC YA's free summer series (at audiobooksync.com), which explicitly requires susbcribers to download into Overdrive, and some free ebooks I've downloaded directly to my NOOK from various business, motivational, and Christian book sites. ///// @5IVEDOM - You regularly post informative and useful contributions, and I use some of your apps. I'm curious (but not at all begrudging, mind you!): What cut does 5IVEDOM earn from content purchased through AppBuddy and BookBuddy?
Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. ~Groucho Marx
Bibliophile
5ivedom

Nothing.

We don't earn anything from books you buy via BooksBuddy.

We don't earn anything from apps you buy via AppsBuddy, unless it's one of our paid apps in which case it's 70% of the list price (usually $1).

Of course, in future if some option comes up to monetize the apps we might do something.

Distinguished Wordsmith
Froide
0 Kudos

5ivedom wrote:

Nothing.

We don't earn anything from books you buy via BooksBuddy.

We don't earn anything from apps you buy via AppsBuddy, unless it's one of our paid apps in which case it's 70% of the list price (usually $1).

Of course, in future if some option comes up to monetize the apps we might do something.

Thanks for your quick reply.  FYI, I have 24 of your apps.

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. ~Groucho Marx