Frequent Contributor
jfender
0 Kudos

New Router = lousy Netflix streaming

I've been working with Linksys to solve the issue but no luck so far.  This is a dual band router but the it seems the HD+ can only see the 2.4ghz not the 5ghz.  Anyone know of a way to get it to connect? I can force it to see by adding it manually but it won't connect (despite having the password).

Distinguished Bibliophile
keriflur

Re: New Router = lousy Netflix streaming

Nooks don't work on the 5Ghz band, unfortunately.

Frequent Contributor
jfender
0 Kudos

Bummer that. Thanks for the input!
Contributor
Tad123
0 Kudos

Don't feel bad in that most tablets that I'm aware of do not use 5 mhz.  2.4 mhz is by far the more popular, but most crowded, especially if you live in a high population density area. . Also, your internet provider may be able to help you.  I would load a "wifi analyzer" from Googe Play Store, and see what level of "db" you have on your  frequency channel.  It should "peg" the meter, so to speak.  Additionally, the mbps of your internet connection is very important.  If you just have the "entry" level speed available from your provider, it probably won't stream Netflix to your satisfaction.  I watch Netflix on a daily basis and don't have a problem with Nook HD.

Correspondent
Wulfraed
0 Kudos

Also to consider: WiFi n protocol, while available on both 5 and 2.4 bands, is basically useless on 2.4. Any b/g traffic interferes with n protocol. 2.4 n is only viable if ALL hotspots detected are using it. Highly unlikely that everyone in the vicinity has upgraded to n protocol, especially the 2Wire routers provided by so many ISPs.

If the router allows it, set 5GHz to n only, set 2.4GHz to g protocol. Something else to consider is that on 2.4, the channel bandwidth actually spills over to the adjacent channels. Channel 6 bleeds into 5 and 7, leaving even more interference possibilities. Instead of eleven  channels the are really only about three clean (non overlap) channels: 3 (2-4) 6 (5-7) 9 (8-10). Of course, everybody is using those three, so lots of in channel interference.

If ONLY your router shows up in the connection list, you might be in a clean enough environment to handle 2.4 n. But my place, for example, normally registers ten to fifteen hotspots with enough signal to cause at least some degradation.

Baron Wulfraed