Contributor
GSOgymrat
0 Kudos

New and need help.

Hi! I bought Nook HD and a $50 case two days ago, which of course was immediately before they put both on sale, and I have a couple of questions:

1) how do I close an app?

2) where is the Article View on the web browser?

One of the selling points for Nook for me was the enlarged text of the Article View.

Thanks!

Distinguished Bibliophile
roustabout

Re: New and need help.

if you have gotten the 2.1 update, it killed article view and the old web browser. the best replacement is dolphin with the dolphin reader plugin.
"no warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized." Fourth Amendment to the US Constitution.
Contributor
BebeFleur13

You can go to the Google Play store if you can access that, and search for "Advanced App killer". Download the free one, and then you can close apps through that.

If you don't have the update, you can pay $1 for an App Killer through the BN store or wait for the update to come to your nook, which shouldn't take too long. :smileyhappy:

Contributor
GSOgymrat

Thanks for your help! I will try Dolphin. I hope Barnes and Noble finds a way to integrate the Article View or Readability.

Frequent Contributor
geertm

GSOgymrat wrote:

Hi! I bought Nook HD and a $50 case two days ago, which of course was immediately before they put both on sale, and I have a couple of questions:

If you go to the B&N store you can probably get a refund of the price difference.

Inspired Bibliophile
compulsivereaderTX
0 Kudos

geertm wrote:

GSOgymrat wrote:

If you go to the B&N store you can probably get a refund of the price difference.

I would do that too! There is a 14 day return period so I'd definitely be taking it in for a rebate on the difference in price.

Contributor
NicoleInAL
0 Kudos

GSOgymrat wrote:

You don't need to, just go back or use the home "N" button. 

It's an Android thing.  It auto-closes apps unused for a long time if it needs the memory. 

Contributor
GSOgymrat
0 Kudos

Thanks! This is my first Android device.
Contributor
GSOgymrat
0 Kudos

I took my Nook HD back to Barnes and Noble today and the manager adjusted the price of the Nook, the case and the screen protector. The cost went from $319 to $233. :smileyvery-happy:

Inspired Bibliophile
compulsivereaderTX
0 Kudos

Yay!! I'm happy for you! Now you have more money for ebooks!

Bibliophile
5ivedom
0 Kudos

Great to hear you got the refund.

If you find some solution for the Article View then please share. Also, let me know how the REader plugin for Dolphin is.

Inspired Wordsmith
BFCoughlin

Excellent!  Personally, I think the personal service at the B&N stores can't be beat.  I've have had nothing but good experiences.

Contributor
GSOgymrat
0 Kudos

5ivedom wrote:

Great to hear you got the refund.

If you find some solution for the Article View then please share. Also, let me know how the REader plugin for Dolphin is.

I downloaded Dolphin browser and the reader plugin. I have not used all the features of Dolphin, such as the gestures feature, but I am pleased so far with the reader plugin. It formats the text well and makes reading a long web article much more pleasant.

Inspired Bibliophile
Schwa

NicoleInAL wrote:

GSOgymrat wrote:

It's an Android thing.  It auto-closes apps unused for a long time if it needs the memory. 

I recommend using the <-- back button on the bottom left to close apps.  The "nook symbol" home key will usually leave the app but it is stil running in the background.

Bibliophile
5ivedom
0 Kudos

Thanks GSOGymRat. ONe or two other Nook owners have also recommended Dolphin's Reader add-on. I'll give it a try.

Contributor
NicoleInAL
0 Kudos

Schwa wrote:

NicoleInAL wrote:

GSOgymrat wrote:

I recommend using the <-- back button on the bottom left to close apps.  The "nook symbol" home key will usually leave the app but it is stil running in the background.

The back button doesn't actually close the app, unless a particular app is programmed to do so.  Its the same thing as pressing the "n".  (I tend to use the backbutton too, though... it just feels more like I closed the app.)

Bibliophile
5ivedom

Actually it is programmed to do just that.

'N' button = Suspend app (not close it) and switch to home page.

<- button = Close App and exit to previous screen.

There might be apps that behave badly and refuse to shut down (and there are loads of those). However, the logic of the <- button is to exit.

Since the OS skin is still Nook skin, this is what I'd assume. This is my understanding from making Apps on the Nook platform.