Contributor
Emmet_Brown
0 Kudos

No dictionary?

When looking up a word in th e reader, it tells me that there isn't one. But the settings says its there. Any ideas?
Bibliophile
laurieb52
0 Kudos

Re: No dictionary?

The dictionary is built in and works within ebooks. If you want to look up a word in an ebook, tap and hold on the word, and the option to look up the meaning pops up.

If you want to look up a word while not in an ebook, you'll need to download one of the dictionary apps.

Life's a chair of bowlies...and it's all about Plan B!
Contributor
Emmet_Brown
0 Kudos

Thank you for your reply. I'm very familiar with how to look up word in an epub. This is my second Nook.The issue is when I select a word to look up that it tells me there is no dictionary.
Contributor
MINPINROSIE
0 Kudos

It.'s workiing essentially like before.  However, when you depress on the word the selection bar is like enlaged but you can still select "Look Up" and it works.  A bar pop up and selections of "Highlight, Note, Lookup etc."  

Contributor
Emmet_Brown
0 Kudos

I guess I'm just being clear or something. I am not asking how to use the dictionary function. I already know how to look up a word in an e-pub. I'm getting a message that say there is no dictionary. Does that make sense? Evidently no one else is experiencing this problem. I was hoping for a solution other than resetting back to factory defaults.

Frequent Contributor
MarshaInSC
0 Kudos

I am not having the problem.  Have you checked the settings to see if you have a dictionary, or have one enabled?

I have an HD+, so I went into Settings - Applications - Reader.  At the bottom of the Reader settings page is a Dictionary Options setting.  I only have one choice - English - US and the radio button is selected.

Just a thought....

Contributor
Emmet_Brown
0 Kudos

Thanks. Yes, I checked, and its there according to that screen. It's the only option and can't even be removed.

Bibliophile
laurieb52
0 Kudos

Have you updated to software version 2.1?

Life's a chair of bowlies...and it's all about Plan B!
Distinguished Scribe
NookGardener
0 Kudos

In the latest update, there was a newB&N app called "Your Lookups" which looks like it ties to the dictionary. Is that working? (Just wondering if the dictionary is linked somehow.)

Contributor
Emmet_Brown
0 Kudos

@laurieb52, yes 2.1. Actually that's when it stopped working, after the update.

@NookGardener, thanks I'll check that. If that doesn't work I may have to try a reset.

Reader 2
brian_h
0 Kudos

I'm seeing the same problem on my Nook HD+.  I look up a word and it says there is no dictionary and that you need to download one.  When you go to the settings, it shows the Merriam-Webster Collegiate Dictionary Eleventh Edition is installed.  I pressed "remove" thinking I could reinstall it but it then says "cannot delete default dictionary".

Contributor
SelenaJean
0 Kudos

I'm having this same problem. Says there is no dictionary when I try to look up a word but when I go into reader settings there is a dictionary set for the reader. Very frustrating especially since I don't want to do a reset and have to redo all my apps and shelves.