Contributor
mrsbeaseley

Nook HD 2.0.6 Update & Familiar Features

Yes, I'm glad the update came in.  I had no problem with the update loading, loosing apps etc...It went smoothly.  I was so happy to see that this update included adding back the Status Bar at the top of the page when I'm reading.  Also they brought back the feature of seeing how many pages left in a chapter.  All in all I am glad those two features were brought back which had been on my Nook Color!

Inspired Scribe
Doreenpv
0 Kudos

Re: Nook HD 2.0.6 Update & Familiar Features

My reading status bar does NOT show up on the top of the page. I still have to tap my lower screen for that action.

Inspired Correspondent
Debh366
0 Kudos

Does the update occur on it's own or do you have to do it manually?

´¨¨)) -:¦:-
¸.·´ .·´¨¨))
((¸¸.·´ ..·´ -:¦:- Debbie
-:¦:- ((¸¸.·´*
Contributor
mrsbeaseley

Did you go into Settings and then click on Applications and then click on Reader.  The very last one in that last will say Show Statusbar.  Select the box and it will put a check mark in it.  So it should now be set!  I hope that is what you are referring to!

Distinguished Wordsmith
Rignes

You have to turn on the feature to show the status bar.  Just installing the update doesn't make the status bar show in the reader, it just adds the ability to change the setting.

Go to All Settings, Choose Applications on the left side, then Reader on the Right. At the bottom just above the Dictionary Options there is a Show Statusbar option with a check box.  Just check it and the status bar should show.  At least it did for me.

Contributor
mrsbeaseley

The update notice showed up in my Notifications.  I clicked on it and the upload began.  Please know that the update did take a while.

Inspired Correspondent
Debh366
0 Kudos

mrsbeaseley wrote:

The update notice showed up in my Notifications.  I clicked on it and the upload began.  Please know that the update did take a while.

Ok, thanks a lot! :smileyhappy: 

´¨¨)) -:¦:-
¸.·´ .·´¨¨))
((¸¸.·´ ..·´ -:¦:- Debbie
-:¦:- ((¸¸.·´*
Inspired Contributor
MyOwnLittleWorld
0 Kudos

Any other visible features?

I hoped to see the daily finds pop in either on the Nook Today section or in Shopping.  I don't always buy things but I was more tempted when they showed things.

Love my nook - I've read more since I got it and love reading more than ever!

Inspired Contributor
Miss_Kilman

@MyOwnLittleWorld, sadly, there don't appear to be any links to the daily finds. I agree, that would be useful. You may already know this, but if you go into the shop and tap Books in the list on the upper right-hand side, you will see on option for Under $2.99. That is a useful list if you're looking for a cheap read.

Here's something I find really useful in the new update: adding web links to the home screen. Previously, this was a very spotty experience and the links would only appear as a web-page image with no title. So you would have to squint at your tiny little links and try hard to remember which was which. Not always so easy! If you tap and hold on the home screen, along with apps, wallpapers, etc., you have the option to add one of your bookmarked websites. When the link appears on your homescreen, the name you have given that link will now appear as well. Hallelujah!

Correspondent
DonMN

If you add a web bookmark to the home screen, you may want to edit the bookmark first and give it a short label.  Otherwise it takes the first few characters and the last few with dots between making it sometimes unintelligable.

Inspired Scribe
Doreenpv
0 Kudos

Rignes...thank you for teaching me how to make the status bar appear in my reader.

Inspired Contributor
Miss_Kilman
0 Kudos

@DonMN, good point about naming your links. I usually name mine something simple, so mine were easy to read and I didn't think about what they would look like with a big, long name. So thanks for the reminder note about shortening!

Contributor
cllhnstev
0 Kudos

Didn't solve my biggest bug. Still can't remove books from my wishlist after I buy them. If I knew beforehand I could have removed them from my wishlist before I bought them.

Bibliophile
5ivedom

MrsBeasler, Rignes - thanks for information on turning on the Status Bar. This gives me a disproportionate amount of joy - to get the Status Bar back.

Wordsmith
2noelle

cllhnstev, I hate that too, but this problem existed with the NC also. I have to remember to take a book out of my wishlist before I buy it or it remains in there, the only difference is that it will say "purchased" and there's no way to delete it off.
Distinguished Correspondent
EllenKeiff

The wishlist issue happend on my Nook Tablet as well.  I am careful to either buy off the HD wishlist or remove the book before I buy it. I would like to see it fixed and I would STILL like to see wishlists synced.  Why on earth do I need to have separate ones.  I don't have a different wish on Friday....then I did on Thursday so it doesn't require 2 lists (or 3....or 4....). 

I am THRILLED that the status bar is back. 

Now here are my issues so far with it: 

I updated my nook yesterday afternoon to 2.06.  Unfortunately, it made it so you cannot remove books from a shelf or see if they are on one.  For instance Nook Book A is on Shelf 1, when I tap it and click add to Shelf 1, it will add it to that shelf.  When I go to tap on it again, your options are: View Details, Share, Add to Home, Add to Shelf, Move to Nook Cloud, Delete"  (if its a Sideloaded book your options are: Add to Home, Add to Shelf, Delete).  Both types of books are now missing the option of "remove from shelf (which a book gets once you have added it to a shelf). 

Also you can no longer post your reading status of a Nook Book to Facebook or Twitter.  You can Recommend, Rate and Review or Like on Facebook.  The option for post reading status is gone.

After the update when I noticed these issues, I thought it could be a glitch so I rebooted.  No such luck, still experiencing them both.   

Frequent Contributor
SMG51

I am just posting to state that the issue with being unable to see if a book is on a shelf when tapping it is extremely irritating.

Nothing more to say about it. Please, B&N, give that option back.
New User
Slug69
0 Kudos

Come home to see that my nook hd updated to 2.06. 

Now I've lost my library of books that I purchased and my apps are not showing up on my app page.

Can someone help?  When I go into settings and look at my apps they are listed there.

New User
Slug69
0 Kudos

Okay. Figured it out.  Had to deregister and erase then start over as if I just opened the box.

Shheeeessh

Contributor
GerryF
0 Kudos

Rignes wrote:
Go to All Settings, Choose Applications on the left side, then Reader on the Right. At the bottom just above the Dictionary Options there is a Show Statusbar option with a check box.  Just check it and the status bar should show.  At least it did for me.

Rignes (and others),

Any idea what the "Dictionary Options" is? Tapping on it causes it to flash but appears to do nothing else.