New User
2ez2013
0 Kudos

Nook HD 7" Won't Charge - Solution 2013

Symptoms:  Nook will not charge - light is green, then orange, then blinking orange and then 'off' or 'black' - nothing.

Attempts to Solve:  Changed Cables.  Pressed buttons for reset. Attempted to remove back cover (DO NOT ATTEMPT - any references to removing cover apply to earlier versions of the nook and attempting to do so will void the warranty)

Solution:  Took into a BN Store.  Support advised them to plug-in (like I hadn't done this), then to my embarrassment, it lit up and charged as hoped for.  It was the ADAPTER I was using - while the cables were in working order, the adapter I was using was not the Nook adapter (plug in) and therefore, not providing the correct amps (more than a cellphone USB adapter) to boot the battery from a 'dead' environment.

Lessons Learned: 

1) DO NOT LET YOUR NOOK'S BATTERY DEPLETE TO NOTHING (this was an advisement that I missed in the quick-start guidebook and at time of purchasing) and the root cause of the problem.

2) Adapters/Plugs provide different amounts of amp needed to power up hardware - so use the one that was provided with your Nook if your battery isn't charging and you're attempting with a different plug-in.

JH0
New User
JH0
0 Kudos

Re: Nook HD 7" Won't Charge - Solution 2013

I am having the exact same problem that you describe, except I am using the connector provided with the HD+ Color Nook.  I always keep it plugged in when I am at home.  Last night I received a "criticle warning" that the Nook was rapidly losing power.  It dropped down to nothing.  When I plug it in to a different outlet, it goes through the same pattern (of lights) that you describe and then blacks out.

This Nook was new in January 2013 and now it won't work at all!

Frequent Contributor
Davan
0 Kudos

JHD, take it to a store as soon as you can and get a replacement.

JH0
New User
JH0
0 Kudos

Thank you, Davan, for your response. I was beginning to come to that conclusion but will now stop fiddling with it and go to a BNS!
Correspondent
mogulman
0 Kudos

I have done numerous experiments with the Nook HD+.  I have determined it checks the current from the charger to see if it will go into charge mode.  That is the blinking lights you see. The Nook HD charger provides a little more than 2 amps of current.  Now most devices will charge at a reduced rate when a lower power charger is used.  Some devices won't go into high current charge mode unless the data lines are shorted.  They limit their charge rate to .5amps. Some Android phones are that way.  The Nook HD does not appear to care about the data lines.  I even bought a special cable to test this theory.  The Nook HD seems to have a special charge mode when plugged into a PC.  It will charge from my desktop PC.

JH0
New User
JH0
0 Kudos

Hi Mogulman, the NOOK was working fine on the provided charger since I purchased it. Then, POOF.
B&N replaced it today (with a 16g because they were all out of 8g). Can't get any better than that!!