Contributor
NateWalker
0 Kudos
Accepted Solution

Nook HD+ Bugs, Issues, Feedback

Had some issues with the HD, took it back.  Got the HD+ and had to take it back.  Some of the issues are quite similar, some are expanded becasue I used this one quite a bit more:

1.  Random Reboots:  They happen all the time.  I Erased and Deregistered the device and reset it up and it still happened.  6x in one night, in the span of about 2 hours.  Couldn't read anything.  Couldn't browse the web.  It was just rebooting on me.

2.  Sluggish performance:  The performance on the HD+ is worse than on the HD.  Likely due to low RAM (only 1GB) and the higher resolution screen.  Also, Animated Wallpapers (not that I ever use them) are just off-limits on this tablet.

3.  Apps that the developers said should work still crash and burn on the HD+.  I was hoping it was just an HD-specific issue :-(  Le sigh.

4.  No Article View in the Chrome browser.  Basically have to install Firefox for Android if you want a Reading Mode in the browser now.

5.  My unit had a dead pixel, which isn't a super huge deal but it was a bit annoying.  If everything else was good I'd have just kept it for fear of getting another unit that didn't work correctly, Lol.

6.  Screen is nice and bright, but basically unusable if the humidity is high, it is hot outside (i.e. hand sweat), or anything.  It's quite "sticky" and it attracts all sorts of fingerprints.  Given it's other qualities, that was quite disappointing.

7.  Shop has pretty bad discovery and there is inadequate ways to drill down and search for stuff.  Better off just using the website in most cases...

8.  Pre-loaded apps cannot be removed.  They are tied to Nook Cloud and keep re-installing themselves everytime the device Syncs your library.  Additionally, if you have Google Play Store set to Auto Update your apps, apps that you updated there will get overwritten by the Nook Cloud version and then the Play Store will update them immediate.  You will get a pop-up notifying you that it's a Nook app and the Playstore will replace it.  This happens literally everytime your device syncs the library and everytime it reboots.  I think it would also happen everytime you connect to a WiFi hotspot.  It's quite jarring.  Need a way to completely remove those apps.

9.  Widgets are not resizeable, rendering many of them useless.

10.  I've never had to touch the same icon so many times before the touch registered...

11.  Need a way to lock icons in place on the home screen (table, or whatever they call it).  They are too easy to accidentally move i.e. if you brush against the screen...

Next update, if they would remove a lot of this customization and add back in some removed stock Android apps (and an elementary file manager, like on Samsung Galaxy Devices), that would make the tablet more useful.

The performance and stability as it stands is too bad to bother keeping one, though, even as an ereader you never know when this thing will simply reboot on you.

There are so few decent Tablet apps for Android that adding in Google Play doesn't really matter all that much.

From my experiences with the HD/HD+, Apps weren't even close to the major issue with these eReader/Tablets.

Inspired Contributor
wallacegal
0 Kudos

Re: Nook HD+ Bugs, Issues, Feedback

1.  Random Reboots:  They happen all the time.  I Erased and Deregistered the device and reset it up and it still happened.  6x in one night, in the span of about 2 hours.  Couldn't read anything.  Couldn't browse the web.  It was just rebooting on me.

Been using my HD+ since it was first released. I've used it stock, rooted it, hybrid rooted it, went back to stock and I haven't had one reboot. It seems to me you just had very bad luck and ended up with two duds.

2.  Sluggish performance:  The performance on the HD+ is worse than on the HD.  Likely due to low RAM (only 1GB) and the higher resolution screen.  Also, Animated Wallpapers (not that I ever use them) are just off-limits on this tablet.

I have a dozen animated wallpapers and switch between them regularly. They work seamlessly, no stuttering, no problems, no black screens, nothing.

3.  Apps that the developers said should work still crash and burn on the HD+.  I was hoping it was just an HD-specific issue :-(  Le sigh.

Again, I think you must have a second dud because I haven't had any issues with any apps that are noted to work with the HD+.

4.  No Article View in the Chrome browser.  Basically have to install Firefox for Android if you want a Reading Mode in the browser now.

I wouldn't use Chrome regardless. I only use Dolphin. For me at least, there aren't any browsers as good. On any Android platform.

5.  My unit had a dead pixel, which isn't a super huge deal but it was a bit annoying.  If everything else was good I'd have just kept it for fear of getting another unit that didn't work correctly, Lol.

Can't address this one. My pixels are fine.

6.  Screen is nice and bright, but basically unusable if the humidity is high, it is hot outside (i.e. hand sweat), or anything.  It's quite "sticky" and it attracts all sorts of fingerprints.  Given it's other qualities, that was quite disappointing.

The screen is the same glass used on a cell phone (except for gorilla glass.) I'm not sure what you expected, but without a screen guard, it's going to show all your fingerprints unless your hands aren't greasy or wet. But sticky? That's the first time I've heard that.

7.  Shop has pretty bad discovery and there is inadequate ways to drill down and search for stuff.  Better off just using the website in most cases...

What is shop? I use Play. I don't use the Nook apps stuff. I don't have any trouble with the Play store.

8.  Pre-loaded apps cannot be removed.  They are tied to Nook Cloud and keep re-installing themselves everytime the device Syncs your library.  Additionally, if you have Google Play Store set to Auto Update your apps, apps that you updated there will get overwritten by the Nook Cloud version and then the Play Store will update them immediate.  You will get a pop-up notifying you that it's a Nook app and the Playstore will replace it.  This happens literally everytime your device syncs the library and everytime it reboots.  I think it would also happen everytime you connect to a WiFi hotspot.  It's quite jarring.  Need a way to completely remove those apps.

You're right here. Pre-loaded apps can't be removed. Neither can any pre-loaded bloatware loaded on your Android or any other cell phone. You bought a branded tablet. It's the same as buying a branded phone.

Nova launcher, Go launcher, Launcher Pro, Zeam...put a new launcher on it, get a shortcut app similar to AnyCut (which is missing from Play right now but there are others) so you can put a shortcut to the Nook Home Screen and stop using the stock launcher.

10.  I've never had to touch the same icon so many times before the touch registered...

Once again, this tells me you have a dud unit and need a new one.

11.  Need a way to lock icons in place on the home screen (table, or whatever they call it).  They are too easy to accidentally move i.e. if you brush against the screen...

See answer to number 9 above.

Next update, if they would remove a lot of this customization and add back in some removed stock Android apps (and an elementary file manager, like on Samsung Galaxy Devices), that would make the tablet more useful.

You're expecting a Galaxy? Why didn't you buy one? When you buy a phone through Sprint or ATT or Verizon, you're stuck with those pre-loaded apps. When you buy a branded reader through BN or Amazon, your stuck with those pre-loaded apps.

The performance and stability as it stands is too bad to bother keeping one, though, even as an ereader you never know when this thing will simply reboot on you.

There are so few decent Tablet apps for Android that adding in Google Play doesn't really matter all that much.

From my experiences with the HD/HD+, Apps weren't even close to the major issue with these eReader/Tablets.

As to your last three sentences, I really think you need to turn in your HD+ and try to get a new one. The problems you're having with the reboots aren't common. But the other with the pre-loaded apps? You can't get rid of them but with a different launcher, you can hide them and they won't magically reappear.

Contributor
NateWalker
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

1. Two duds? Have you searched the forum or did a Google Search:

http://bookclubs.barnesandnoble.com/t5/NOOK-HD-HD-Support/Random-Reboot/td-p/1409314

That's the first result...

There are many others. The first thing I did when this happened was go into "Research Mode." It seems not as uncommon as you make it out to be...

2. The device stutters. You'd have to be blind not to see it happening...

In fact, look at this review. You can see the device stuttering pretty much the entire time. It performs like a low end Android 2.2 device:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xtTvNsgJR4I

3. Try to run Coach's Eye on your Nook HD+, if you don't mind paying for it. It will start up and instantly crash.

I've also had Google Earth crash a ton on both the HD and HD+.

4. Firefox is a good browser, I just don't like having to install redundant software, especially browsers, which can take upwards of 100MB of storage when you add the app size (55MB+) to their data and caches.

Firefox has this, and it is flawless, it just seems odd that they'd switch out a browser that works very well for Chrome...

5. N/A

6. The screen feels sticky and I have never used any cell phone except for the HTC Vivid which had a screen so bad on it. It has a sticky feel, and when it's humid using the device is an absolute pain in the arse to the point that I'd rather just get off the couch and go sit at my PC instead (or read a book on my phone). It feels icky, it looks icky, and it's much harder to clean than any other screen I own in here. It is a dust and oil magnet.

When I say sticky, I'm speaking of the general texture of the screen. How it feels. On my smartphone, my finger tends to glide across the screen without any resistance. The Nook HD/HD+'s screen isn't that good. It's a usability issue (for me).

I spend a lot of time at an ice rink, the device is unusable there.  Others have no issues taking their iPads on the ice and using them (cause you can load all the USFS documentation, including test books with all the patterns, well balanced program requirements, etc.) but this device simply does not work at all there.  Just sitting in the rink, it becomes borderline unusable since your finger is constantly sticking to the screen while sliding across it.

7. The Nook Shop. It's where you buy B&N's Books and Magazines. You know, I did actually buy this to read stuff, too. What about you?

8. I can disable all the bloatware on my smartphone. 80% of it weren't even apps, they were stubs that link to the app in the play store. They're 8.00 KB in size. Half were uninstallable. The other half were disablable. They do NOT come back when I reboot my phone or it Syncs to Google services.

This is completely different.

You don't seem to either understand what I'm saying, or have a clue what you're talking about...

This Tablet reinstalls, automatically, all bloatware you DISABLE or UNINSTALL on the device whenever it Syncs your Library or you reboot your device (which causes it to Sync). Then, the Play Store, if set to Automatically update the apps, will update them and force a pop-up on the screen irregardless of what you're doing (hope that wasn't the best part of that movie!) to let you know it's replacing a Nook App, requiring a button press.

With Play Store on the device, B&N should have put a setting to disable the App Auto-Install from Nook Cloud so that this would not happen.  Better yet, they could have simply took the Nook version out and preloaded the Play Store version.  That makes even more sense, if they felt they needed to have them preloaded on there...  That way the device wouldn't auto-re-install the apps if you uninstalled or disabled them...

Also, this happens even if you hide the icon. Hide the icon and Uninstall/Disable the app, it will still reinstall itself and force a pop-up when it Syncs, and then it will appear again.

9. Tried them, but in some cases it sort of defeats the purpose. For example, it makes it a PITA to easily get to frequent books/apps which are in the carousel at the top of the screen in the Nook launcher. Theoretically I would only need one home screen on the Nook HD.

You cannot place Reading Media on the screen in those launchers, either... There are usability problems if you bought this tablet for literary reasons, by switching to one of those launchers.  You're telling me to get a Nexus or Galaxy while telling me to basically try to turn this device into one, simply because I made the suggestion I made :-)

Useless suggestion, IMO.

They'd need their own customized stock launcher with their own widgets to make it worth moving over to one, which is why I gave the feedback I did.  Without adding in widgets to retain the convenience, I'm better off either using Amazon's App on this tablet, or Google's App on this tablet and getting all my media from them...  At which point why not buy a Fire HD 16GB for $159 on sale at Best Buy, right?

10. Same as 9...

Again. I'm not stuck with those preloaded apps on my Galaxy Device. They're all Disabled or Uninstalled. AT&T lets you Uninstall most bloatware and the rest they let you disable them.  As I stated earlier, most of that bloatware actually aren't applications.  They're 8kb stubs that link to the app in the Play Store. They do not pop back up when your device syncs or you reboot it. You're comparing Apples to Oranges. What this devices does is grief you with these apps and the Nook Cloud is not accessible in a way that would allow you to stop them from auto downloading and causing the update loop - with the modal pop-up that it shoves into your face requiring a keypress.

I'm not stuck with anything on my Galaxy device :-) Would you like screen shots? I haven't even ever rooted or jail broken a phone, and I could show you that I have no bloatware in my app drawer.

The Software issues are on every Nook HD+. Whether you are bothered by it is on you, and that can explain whether or not you see it as an issue. However, they're all sluggish with bad touch response and they all grief you with the bloatware. They're all incompatible with the same apps. They all have the sub-par screen surface which is a bear to use in humid conditions (many reviews mentioned the subpar screen surface, BTW) and attracts oil, dust, and fingerprints/streaks.

Like I said, the Apps will still reappear if Uninstalled or Disabled. Don't care about removing the icon. I want the app gone because in some cases they come up as choices when you perform some actions - also, the OS may or may not waste RAM caching a useless process simply because it's installed/enabled on the device.

You're talking to me like I'm tech illiterate.  I am not new to this.

Inspired Correspondent
Fat_Old_Guy

I've had none of those issues, I use Nova Launcher and my Nook HD+ looks and performs as good as any of the high dollar Android tablets, except it has no camera.

Contributor
NateWalker
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Fat_Old_Guy wrote:

I've had none of those issues, I use Nova Launcher and my Nook HD+ looks and performs as good as any of the high dollar Android tablets, except it has no camera.

You're free to believe that.  The SoC coupled with the screen resolution and inefficient custom launcher software in this tablet literally makes that statement an impossibility.

I covered why I didn't use a 3rd party launcher on this tablet.

I'm not sure why people are getting so defensive.  It's not like my "review" will doom Nook's tablet business.  I think their software developers and engineers already did a good enough job of that.

I'll get an iPad instead.  Beyond the issues I've had with this device, there aren't enough quality tablet apps on Android so I've pretty much given up from that end...

Inspired Correspondent
Fat_Old_Guy

I knew you would be back, trolls always want to have the last word. What are you trying to accomplish? most here already own a Nook, so you are not scaring anyone away.

Go get Nova Launcher and set it up any way you like, no more apps being swept off the home page, you can change icon sizes, have a paging dock, and it seems to remove the stutter some see when swiping home pages. Yeah it takes about 30 seconds to DL and install, and maybe an hour tops to configure, and that is if you change everything, but it makes your $150 tablet look and perform like a high end Android tablet sans camera of course. Somehow though I doubt you will bother, as it seems you expected an Ipad to be in your Nook box.

Inspired Correspondent
Fat_Old_Guy

Oh and Dont forget to bow and pray in the Direction of Steve Jobs grave.

Contributor
NateWalker
0 Kudos

Don't troll. It's beneath you.

iBook Store + Proper Tablet Apps and polished software with a better screen and build quality = winner.

I gave B&N a chance. Two actually. They didn't deliver.
Contributor
NateWalker
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

And the fact that you actually think I'm trying to scare anyone away, is kind of retarded.

Why are you responding?

No, those launchers do not make that tablet perform like a high end android tablet.  It also doesn't make the B&N's software components perform any better than they do.  The code is heavy.  The tablet is sluggish.  Running a 3rd party launcher defeats the purpose and makes it harder to use it for what it was intended to be used for...  What is so hard to understand?

P.S. I tried ADW and Nova. I just didn't keep them installed. The reason I could give the reasons for not using them, is precisely because I did try them.  That's typically how people come to informed decisions.  Not just reading what some "defender", Apple Hater, and nameless forum troll says in an online forum.

I'm not trolling, you are...  I follow up on topics because I'm interested in what others have to say about it.  I am not interested in more "not an issue for me" and other sorts of excuses.

You can load a custom launcher on any Android tablet devices, and the Kindle isn't much more expensive, uses the same hardware, and runs circles around this device in real world performance and comfort (i.e. Gorilla Glass Screen).  If Android actually had decent tablet apps, I'd just get Amazon's tablet.

The iPad has the better apps.  If you want decent tablet apps it seems there really is no other viable choice on the market right now, except maybe a Surface RT if the Windows Store happens to have the apps you want or need.

Distinguished Scribe
gb18
0 Kudos

NateWalker wrote:

Had some issues with the HD, took it back.  Got the HD+ and had to take it back.  Some of the issues are quite similar, some are expanded becasue I used this one quite a bit more:

GET BACK UNDER THE BRIDGE! 

Freedom is not free.
Inspired Correspondent
Fat_Old_Guy

[ Edited ]

Seriosly?  Anytime someone says their nook is smooth you say they are wrong, maybe yours is not, but many have said otherwise for thiers in various posts on this forum, but somehow your opinion is better than theirs. Nook is not perfect, no tablet is, And I will even agree mine was nowhere near as smooth as it is now that I do not use the nook launcher as default, but it as smooth as the ipad  that my daughter had the use of at home during the last school year from her school. and it's worth every penny of the $150 I paid for it and then some. Your posts serve no purpose other than to say how wonderful the Apple products are, well GTFO and buy one and become another iDrone.

Inspired Correspondent
NC-Kindle

Mercy sakes!  Some posts are best left alone.

I'm enjoying the Nook HD+.  While I rooted the Nook Color, see no reason to root the HD+ - just my opinion.  Also have an iPad 2.  Since the arrival of the Nook HD+, the iPad has been resting.  Maybe when the newness wears off, the iPad will be used more - maybe.

As far as bugs and issues, haven't really run across any.  It is true that the android tablets may require a little more tech knowledge/ability, and the flexibility, to me, is more fun and rewarding than the iPad experience.

And just a note about the HD+ speakers - in my opinion they blow away the iPad 2 and the vaunted Kindle HD 7 dolby speakers.  Dixieland music rendition is particularly pleasing.

Inspired Contributor
wallacegal

I actually do know what I'm taking about so please don't go there. You want me to watch a YouTube video that probably stutters to see someone's Nook stutter? Mine doesn't. Neither do most owners Nooks. As to your other problems, you're the first person I've had say that ATT lets you uninstall all of their crapware. However, since you must use ATT for your phone, I wonder why you didn't drink the koolaid and buy the $600+ iPad. You're extolling it's virtues over the Nook. As to why I bought mine, I wanted a great tablet at a great price that would take the place of my laptop and the dozen books I drag with me when I travel. What I got was a stellar item that I haven't had a bit of trouble with. So I have to agree with the others. You've made it your mission to trash the Nook. You'll get little support to do it here. Perhaps you should join an Apple forum instead. You obviously don't want to bother pursuing a replacement. Trolling for emotional support is a waste of time.
Contributor
NateWalker
0 Kudos

Fat_Old_Guy wrote:

Seriosly?  Anytime someone says their nook is smooth you say they are wrong, maybe yours is not, but many have said otherwise for thiers in various posts on this forum, but somehow your opinion is better than theirs. Nook is not perfect, no tablet is, And I will even agree mine was nowhere near as smooth as it is now that I do not use the nook launcher as default, but it as smooth as the ipad  that my daughter had the use of at home during the last school year from her school. and it's worth every penny of the $150 I paid for it and then some. Your posts serve no purpose other than to say how wonderful the Apple products are, well GTFO and buy one and become another iDrone.

Odd.  I own an Android phone and a Windows 8 Notebook.  How does that make me an iDrone?

You said this thing is as smooth as a high end Android tablet.  It is not.  Go use a Nexus 10 and then come back and tell me the Nook HD+ is as smooth as it, just because you installed Nova Launcher or ADW EX on it.  There are many reasons for this beyond simply subbing out of Nook's bloated launcher software.  For example, The Kindle Fire HD and Nexus 7/10 have much faster RAM than the Nook HD+, which has a noticeable impact on performance.  The NAND flash in the device may or may not be as good as in those other devices.

Subbing out the launcher also doesn't improve the touch response for the screen, which is below average from what I've experience.  Store display models displayed many of the same issues.

Reboots are not that uncommon if you look around and see.  Basically every review commented on the sluggishness of the software and the finger print magnet screen.  I guess places like TheEbookReader etc. are all iDrones!

Your nook is as smooth as an iPad.  I got it.  Believe that.

@ Other Poster:  That YouTube video doesn't stutter.  Seriously..  You clearly had no clue what I was talking about IRT the apps reinstalling themselves, double updating, and popping up modal dialogs in the process.  Your "solution" is a non-solution that fixes nothing.

@NC-Kindle:  Don't care about the speakers.  I didn't mention them, or at least I don't recall doing so.  I have a pair of Stereo BT headsets that I use.  Speakers would be disruptive in many of the environments I use my devices.  If it didn't have speaker, I probably wouldn't even care (just like the cameras I don't use), as long as it could emit sound through a headphone jack and/or BT.

As far as bothering to get a replacement.  I think that's what I did when I returned the HD and got the HD+.  Apart from the sceen size and resolution, the hardware is largely the same (barring .2 GB in the CPU).  The software is identical.  The HD actually performed slightly better than the HD+ (probably due to the lower resolution screen), but the smaller screen size is not worth it to me, and the double bezel is not attractive at that size.

Stability and Robustness was identical.  Performance was still rather stuttery.  The Nook Cloud still griefs you with bloatware...  The Browser was still locking up and the tablet still reboot.  I only opted to go for the Nook HD+ instead of exchanging for another HD because the screen was bigger and the price was so similar.

Good luck to B&N with their fire sale.

Inspired Correspondent
Fat_Old_Guy

Again you say it's not and pretend that makes it so because you say so. Obviosly you dislike the nook so GTFO already. Your constant need to get the last word putting down the nook is juvenile, you have said you don't like it, and said why, several others have disagreed, but somehow your opinion matters more.

Go buy your ipad and post on their forums.

Contributor
NateWalker
0 Kudos

Name calling. Temper tantrums.

That's very mature, right, and certainly not trolling!

GTFO of the thread if you don't like my posts or the subject herein. No one is making you come here :-)
Inspired Correspondent
Fat_Old_Guy
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

What exactly are you trying to do besides troll? we get it, you do not like the Nook, return it and get your money back and buy a life.

Reader 2
AmyBB
0 Kudos

Let's go with the theory you posit that the glass/screen is different. It's possible, manufacturing differences and all.

To start, there have been enough praise postings to counter your postings against to suggest something more than just the product it at issue.

In my use of my HD (since last Dec, in the NorthEast US, so plenty of temperature range and humidity differential), I have found the screen to be a little too sensitive at times.  I have not found humid 'sticky' issues, and trust me, I am not a delicate flower when it comes to perspiration.

The other factor in how a screen behaves is the physiology of the person using it.  It sounds like the nook products have been made in such a way that doesn't work for you, whether it is at what temp your body runs, how your system (your body), handles external atmosphere differences, etc.

I would venture that the nook is not inferior, it just doesn't work with your physiology. It's not the end of the world, you'll find a tablet of sorts that works for you, whether it is an Apple or Windows or Sony ... you'll find the one that meets your exacting standards.

Wordsmith
daenas
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Some people just want to complain about nothing. I have a Samsung Galaxy tablet and find myself using the HD+ more. There's nothing my HD+ can't do compared to my Galaxy, other than take pictures and skype-big deal. I hardly use them anyhow. Best just to return it and don't look back. Oh..btw..The Galaxy tablet has all sorts of built in apps from Samsung that cannot be deleted.  I'm pretty sure it's the same w/ ANY tablet.