Inspired Contributor
MrsSplatzenberger
0 Kudos

Nook HD Overheating issues?

So, I was browsing the shop what seemed like an hour or so, mostly scrolling through movies.

The device gets noticeably hot in the back lower half, not burning ofcourse but hot enough to notice.

Then within some time, (still in shop), the UI (interface) goes crazy, not responding to touch, going places on its own, and when i type in the search box, it adds its own letters. I type 'P', and it types 'P,i' for example. Weird stuff.

And yes, I've already had an exorcism done to it :smileywink:

Anyhowzer, anyone else have an explanation ?

Have a great day !
Bibliophile
5ivedom

Re: Nook HD Overheating issues?

That's very strange.

I read only one other instance of someone reporting 'hotness/heating'.

And they didn't mention the screen going crazy.

What happens if you just switch the screen on and off?

Was a charger plugged in? wall charger? usb cable?

Inspired Contributor
MrsSplatzenberger
0 Kudos

No charger, and a hard restart fixed it, but it happened a few times, so...

Just completely bonkers, and I'll assume I'm alone on this ? :smileywink:

For example, I type say ' books' in the search on the nook, (in the store under 'shop'), and this is what I get -

b,o,)o,.k,s. I then exit out of 'shop' to home screen, and the shop button clicks by itself (highlights blue) and goes back in.

Could be a possession, lol

5ivedom wrote:

That's very strange.

I read only one other instance of someone reporting 'hotness/heating'.

And they didn't mention the screen going crazy.

What happens if you just switch the screen on and off?

Was a charger plugged in? wall charger? usb cable?

Have a great day !
Reader 2
Ians5744
0 Kudos

Mine is over heating as well. I find that I have to leave it off overnight and then it will boot up no problem. Maybe as its in a case the unit gets hotter? I'll try leaving it out of the case today see what happened but much easier to hold in the case. I have two of the nook hd+ 9" and only the one has the heating up problem at random.

Inspired Wordsmith
BFCoughlin
0 Kudos

My HD+ was getting excessively warm, sometimes actually hot.  I generally happened if I used ot for more than an hour, especially if I did something screen intensive like playing a game.  I brought it into one of the local stores.  they said it should not do that and gave me a new one in exchange.

Wordsmith
2noelle
0 Kudos

I've noticed this too, but nothing I was alarmed about.

Bibliophile
5ivedom
0 Kudos

Mrs. Splatzenberger

What happens if you plug Nook into wall charger and then do things. Does it work well then?

If so, then it might mean your battery is dying and you should get a replacement soon.

New User
nacholulu
0 Kudos

I was sitting outside yesterday and was reading my fully-charged, practically-new Nook+ HD...after about 15-20 minutes a big overheating symbol appeared on the screen and it shut down immediately.  It felt very hot at the top end where the volume buttons are.  I checked entire user guide but could only find temperature guide, top end of which is 95F. It was a nice, pleasant, sunny Florida afternoon, but in no way was it a very hot day and the sun was not very hot.  I fully charged it and was watching NetFlix last night and noticed battery charge was down to a half after watching for 90 minutes.  I will have to watch very closely in the next week or so.  I'm very disappointed in my purchase so far.

Bibliophile
5ivedom
0 Kudos

nacholulu, it might be due to being in direct sunlight. I haven't heard of this before with Nook but have heard that some Kindle Fires heat up SUPER fast if kept in direct sunlight for more than 25-30 minutes.

Inspired Wordsmith
BFCoughlin

Hence the term "Fire"?  (just kidding)

Bibliophile
5ivedom
0 Kudos

Contributor
Utenahime
0 Kudos

I really regret getting a HD because of the heating problems. I've already had to exchange one because of it and now the second one is starting to get worse. 

Out of curiousity, how many of you out there with heating problems are left-handed? When I returned my first one, the employee mentioned that the processor is on the right hand side- right where a lefty would be holding it while typing or whatever with their left hand...>_>

Bibliophile
5ivedom
0 Kudos

Could you explain the heating problem more?

What are you usually running when you get it. The left handed thing might be true. I don't know where the processor placement is.

Here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HpVrds3g-M8

This might confirm that it's due to processor placement.

Inspired Wordsmith
BFCoughlin

I had to return my HD+ because it was overheating.  I was using it inside ina chilly living room on New England, so it wasn't ambiet heat or sun!  I am right handed.  I often use it when I'm curled up in my Poang chair with it leaning against my leg.  Never used it for more than an hour and a half, maybe a tad more, at a time.  When I brought it back to the storre, I ran it for an hour beforehand so that it was quite warm when I showed it to them. They seemed genuintely surprised (and I really DO trust these people) and exchanged it on the spot.  So far, I have not had issues with the new one.  Mine heated on the lower left hand side.

Distinguished Correspondent
jamartMF

When I went to purchase 3 simple touches for myself, daughter, and mother I took my Nook HD+ 32gb with me.  I had noticed a couple of the corners were starting to raise up from the glass.  They swapped it out for me.

What I didn't mention to them was that it was getting very warm.  I thought it was normal.  But now that I have read these post and messed around with the swapped Nook I know it wasn't normal. My new nook hasn't got the least bit warm.  I am right handed and just don't believe that plays into the problem.

I do wonder if the overheating effects the bezel coming loose from the glass though.  It would be interesting to know if others who reported the bezel problem also had overheating.

Inspired Wordsmith
BFCoughlin

I had overheating, but no bezel problems.

jamartMF

I think I figured out part of the heatng problens. I went outside to read. It being a bright sunny day I had to turn the brightness up to read. I turned it up all the way. My hd+ warmed up like a hotplate. Turned the bightness back down to a little more than half and it cooled off quickly. I was in the sun also but I don't think that was the reason as suggested in previous post.
Bibliophile
5ivedom
0 Kudos

So you're saying on higher brightness it heats up very quickly. That sort of makes sense.

jamartMF
0 Kudos

Yes 5ivedom. I would test again to make sure but I don't want to ruin my nook letting it get that hot again. It was very very hot.
Bibliophile
5ivedom
0 Kudos

Thanks. That should help people who are getting this same problem and don't know what to do to fix it. Turning down brightness seems like an easy solution. Of course then they'd have to read it in the shade.