Contributor
mommyandwe
0 Kudos
Accepted Solution

Nook HD+ Will Not Install to Computer

Just upgraded from Nook Color to Nook HD+. When I plug it into my computer (running Windows 7 Home Premium), it shows it as a full drive. The only file on the "drive" is "My Nook Setup", an HTML file that takes me to a page that says: 

Welcome to MyNOOK Setup.

MyNOOK Setup is a one-time installation that will allow you to tranfer your personal files to your NOOK.

Transferable files include, but are not limited to: photos, music, videos, EPUB, PDF and Microsoft Office files.

Note: Copyright protected files are not transferable

For more information, visithttp://www.NOOK.com/support.

When I click on the link to install, it downloads the following zip file: MyNOOKSetup.dmg I have NO idea what the problem is. The nook installs fine on my daughter's computer. (Meaning, there are several folders, such as "My files", etc). Can someone PLEASE help? BN support can't. Told me to take it to a local store (closest is an hour away and I sure can't take my desktop so they can see the problem)

Bibliophile
5ivedom
0 Kudos

Re: Nook HD+ Will Not Install to Computer

Does it show as a Full Drive or as a Music Player i.e.

Is it shown under 'Hard Disk Drives' or under another cateogry i.e. Devices with Removable Storage (or perhaps Music Players).

It should be the latter.

Nook HD+ uses MTP file protocol so it doesn't show as a drive.

It shows as a Device with Removable Storage.

When you double click on it, it shows a folder named 'Internal Storage Folder' and double clicking on that shows files and folders.

Also, it's worth a try to do the following

1) Copy the zip file to your Nook HD+.

2) Unplug and wait for 30-45 seconds.

see if there's an install process that happens.

3) Plug it back in.

Contributor
mommyandwe
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

It is shown under "Devices with removable storage". It says:
NOOK (E: )
0 bytes free of 253 KB

FAT

Autorun opens and gives me the following options:
Open Folder to view Files

Use this Drive for Backup

Manage Mixed Content

When I click Open to view files (or double click under my computer), it only gives me the HTML file MyNOOK Setup (mentioned in my first post)--no folders, etc.... If I try to add the zip file, it tells me the disk is full.

Distinguished Scribe
NookGardener
0 Kudos

What is it you are trying to do? If trying to update the OS, go to Settings, then Device Information, and select Check for updates. The latest version is 2.06

Contributor
mommyandwe
0 Kudos

Just bought the new nook HD+ (Well, got it as an anniversary gift from my husband). I need to put books on it from my computer. However, when I plug it into my computer, it won't allow me to do anything with it. I'm not upgrading the OS. When I turned it on for the first time and it went through its' setup, etc...it did all that (checking for updates, etc). My Nook HD+ will not install to my computer to let me be able to drag and drop to it. There are no folders on it as a "drive". Unless I plug it to my daughter's computer. (Where none of my files are.) It works as it's supposed to...listing "my files", etc. Just not on my computer. I'm at a loss.

Bibliophile
5ivedom
0 Kudos

It seems your computer doesn't have the files to handle MTP.

Update Windows Media Player to the latest version. That will install MTP supporting drivers.

After that it should work. You might have to restart PC and/or try a different USB port.

Contributor
mommyandwe
0 Kudos

Windows Media Player is up to date. Different USB port doesn't make a difference.

Bibliophile
5ivedom

Go to Settings > Storage Management, Then choose USB Connectivity.

Then change from MTP to PTP. Then plug into PC.

Contributor
mommyandwe
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

It doesn't even show as a device with the PTP clicked. And when the MTP is clicked, it shows as a full drive. (no memory available) Attached picture: nook no space.JPG

BN_AlexG
Topics: 68
Kudos: 519
Solutions: 40
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Hi mommyandwe,

Try updating your MTP drivers via the MS Download Center.

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=19153

Make sure to reboot after installing.

- Alex

Click the Laurel leaf to say thank you for helpful posts. And be sure to come back to click the 'Accept as Solution' button for the post that solved your issue. This may help someone else.
Contributor
mommyandwe
0 Kudos

Just did that. No luck. :smileysad: Thanks, though. (It did, however, cause my computer to bluescreen & refuse to start)

Contributor
mommyandwe

AHA! SOO...After some help from a lady over at the NOOK facebook page, It's working. It suggested uninstalling the old nook (Nook Color). SO...I went into device manager and uninstalled it. Then I uninstalled "MTP Device" which was the HD+ and restarted my computer. Then I plugged in my HD+ and it's now recognizing it and I can read!! YAY, me! (And helpful others) Thank you to everyone who offered suggestions!!!!! I'm so happy! 

GMZ
Reader 4
GMZ
0 Kudos

Oh wish me luck for I have had the same problems as you have had, but I know have an idea of whet to do! Thank you!
Georgia