Contributor
redkirk

Nook HD & Linux: What File System on SDcards?

I was curious what file system the Nook HD formats SDCards to.  When I had the Nook HD format a card, my Ubuntu Linux couldn't recognize it as a valid file system.  It's also been a bother to transfer files to and from the Nook HD on my Linux box.

It's all about Love, Life,
The Kids and Wife,
Moons, Tunes,
And Animal Balloons
Inspired Contributor
Wulfraed
0 Kudos

Re: Nook HD & Linux: What File System on SDcards?

It's all in the manual...

exFAT

Baron Wulfraed
Contributor
redkirk
0 Kudos

What isn't in the manual is how Linux can read exFAT.

Wulfraed wrote:

It's all in the manual...

exFAT

The Kids and Wife,
Moons, Tunes,
And Animal Balloons
Inspired Contributor
Wulfraed
0 Kudos

Given Linux, it probably requires recompiling the kernel adding a new filesystem driver -- check with the support group for your distribution (fyi: WinXP needed a special patch installer from M$ to handle exFAT).

Baron Wulfraed
New User
ParadoxTMA
0 Kudos

gMTP should make it easy to move files to/from your NOOK HD in ubuntu. will also give you the option to mount the microSD card if it is in your NOOK.
Contributor
redkirk
0 Kudos

ParadoxTMA wrote:
gMTP should make it easy to move files to/from your NOOK HD in ubuntu. will also give you the option to mount the microSD card if it is in your NOOK.

I'm not having much luck with getting gMTP installed.  I'm still sloughing away at it, though.

I've had minor success using FUSE, but I can only see the external card if I take it out of the Nook HD and put it in an adaptor.  After that I was able to read and write to the card but I've been unable to unmount it in Linux.  Being able to safely remove the card is a must.

I found a script today that seems to be a cull of what I've been trying with FUSE.  I found it at

http://www.hilltopyodeler.com/blog/?p=455

Reading the internal card is next to impossible.  I can see a FAT partition but I can't mount the exFAT partition at all.

It's really annoying for B&N to have changed-up the file access in NOOK HD(+).  It's got to have something to do with M$ buying into B&N stock and imposing a proprietary filesystem.

The Kids and Wife,
Moons, Tunes,
And Animal Balloons
flyingtoastr
Topics: 52
Kudos: 2,855

redkirk wrote:

It's really annoying for B&N to have changed-up the file access in NOOK HD(+).  It's got to have something to do with M$ buying into B&N stock and imposing a proprietary filesystem.

Actually, it's all Google's fault. Android 4+ use a different file system than ≤ 2.3.

Inspired Contributor
Wulfraed
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

exFat is used to handle large media files -- like all those movies folks are downloading. FAT is limited to 4GB (unsigned integer) or 2GB (if an application is using signed integers -- which I recall are the only integer type in Java).

So that explains why one needs exFAT drivers to read the card when using external card readers. Strangely, you do not need exFAT when accessing through the Nook on USB. 

MTP is a file level protocol; it does not expose the storage media. All one gets is "copy/delete/rename file" operations. No low level ability to change a sector within a file (no editing). This makes MTP similar to anonymous FTP, in which the far end file system is unkown and irrelevant (it could be a sequential mag tape!).

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Media_Transfer_Protocol 

The advantage? One, the device is still usable while connected, whereas card reader modes basically take over the device to directly talk to the storage. Two, no corrupted files. The protocol either completes fully, or aborts with no changes to the storage.

Baron Wulfraed
Contributor
redkirk
0 Kudos

ParadoxTMA wrote:

Running Ubuntu 10.04, Lucid right now.  Apparently there WAS a gMTP in the repository at some point, but when I use apt-get install I get an error message stating the file can't be found.

The Kids and Wife,
Moons, Tunes,
And Animal Balloons