Wordsmith
2noelle
0 Kudos
Accepted Solution

Nook HD+ and Movies

Well, I finally bought a movie from the B&N shop and was taken aback by how much storage space it took up.  So, I inserted 19gb sd card, wow it's almost gone!

How are you managing your movies/video?.  I know it's preferable to stream movies, but I'm planning on traveling, in the near future, and would like to know what my options are for times I'm without internet service.  Do I just purchase a larger sd card to accomodate the movies I want to store?

Any tips would be appreciated.

Bibliophile
5ivedom

Re: Nook HD+ and Movies

2noelle, HD movies are, unfortunately, really huge in size.

Having a bunch of SD Cards or a large one is the only option.

I bought a 32 GB one recently.

On these forums I haven't seen anyone with any suggestion other than getting an SD Card.

Correspondent
mogulman

I watch the movies in SD format (mp4, 720x480) when I travel.  They play full screen.  In this format movies are between 700Mb and 1.2Gb.  I really can't tell much of a difference in quality from HD movies on the Nook HD+.  I currently have 10 movies on the 32G device with room for 10-15 more. 

Wordsmith
2noelle
0 Kudos

Thanks everyone, I guess I will be putting the movies on the sd card and downloading them in sd, thanks again for the tips.
Correspondent
Wulfraed
0 Kudos

Standard definition DVD (MPEG-2) runs 4GB per hour. HD (1920x1080) is 4.5 times the data or about 18GB. Newer encodings might halve that -- making a two hour movie 18GB.

Baron Wulfraed
Frequent Contributor
eaglewomanEP
0 Kudos

I got the NOOK adapter and rented a movie from B&N, my question is, Is there a way to stream in the TV where the movie actually catches up with the stream Its very distracting that it runs for a few seconds then stops to catch up, did tis thru the whole movie, never did get caught up.Am I doing something wrong?

Inspired Correspondent
MusicmanGG
0 Kudos

I think it depends on the internet traffic.....  I rented a movie from B&N and it played flawlessly; however I bought one while I was steaming it to my TV it stopped a few times to catch up...

Correspondent
mogulman

Please note SD movies are 4-8G in MPEG-2 format.  I convert all movies and TV shows to mp4 format.  This reduces the size by a factor of 4 or more.  I use DVD Catalyst to do the conversion.  DVD Catalyst has an option to put it in streaming format.  I have a home webserver and put the movies on that.  This way I can stream my home movies/tv shows without putting them on the Nook.  I only put them on the Nook when I travel.