New User
3smommy

Nook HD+ freezing at 99%

I've had my Nook HD+ for 8 months. Every month or so sometimes apparentely during a software update it freezes at the screen 99% and won't do anything else. It just locks up and lingers at the gray screen with 99% showing.  I have taken it into the store each time and they always end up having to do a factory reboot and I lose all my settings and basically have to start my Nook from scratch. I love using the Nook but its getting to the point I wish I had bought something else. HAs anyone else had this problem or have any suggestion for me to do at home to fix it?

New User
ClintonLibrarya

Re: Nook HD+ freezing at 99%

We are experiencing the same problem here. It just started this weekend. We've had the Nook since November of last year.

Contributor
Book_Addict83
0 Kudos

This just happened to me today. I'm trying to figure out how to fix it as well. The Nook itself has become very hot from being on for so long. I'm hoping it doesn't overheat and cause issues....

Reader
austin23CA
0 Kudos

We would love any suggestions as well. We got our Nook HD+ for Christmas and haven't had any trouble until today. The tablet worked fine last night and now it freezes at 99%. Is there a problem with an update? BN's solution is a factory reset which I think is ridiculous.

Contributor
Book_Addict83
0 Kudos

Well, it's looks like a factory reset is the only option. Worthless piece of crap. This will certainly be the last time I purchase a B&N product. How ridiculous.

Wordsmith
AlbionRose
0 Kudos

There are several threads on this issue.  It seemed to be linked to having multiple accounts on the device, and switching between them.  I know that Alex the moderator said that this issue was resolved with the latest software upgrade.  If your device says it is running software version 2.1.1 and you are still having the issue, I would message Alex.

Other than that, it's a factory reset and I would only set up one account on the device until this issue is fully resolved. 

Factory reset:

'Completley power off the NOOK then press the "n" (home button) during power on. This should get it unstuck. If it doesn't work, drain the battery and once completely drained, charge your device and power on. The battery should drain quicker than usual due to the 99% screen being active.'

per RickyX an administrator.

New User
3Stephen
0 Kudos

I have owned my NOOK for four months and I nwo have to deregister and then register every 10 days. I am getting used to it and it take me approximately 45 minutes to register and add back my applications. This problem appears to happens after I turn the Nook back on from Power Off rather than leaving it in sleep. Also I do not recall this problem until after I chose the option to of turning my NOOK unto password protected mode.

New User
Cerberus122
0 Kudos

I tried powering my Nook HD+ up while holding the n button to no avail.  I will allow the battery to die, recharge it, and try again.  This freezing at 99% happened when I turned on the wifi to download my latest books.  I've had my Nook HD+ for about ten months.

Wish me luck.

Wordsmith
AlbionRose
0 Kudos

Stephen, if I were you I would turn the password protect off!

New User
Dragonheart19
0 Kudos

I am having the same problem.:smileysad:

New User
seniormoment
0 Kudos

This happened to me too. I took my Nook back to the store and they did what they called a "hard restart" which involved killing everything and totally re-booting my entire set-up. I was pretty angry about the whole thing, because the darn thing was only a couple of weeks old.  The lady who worked with me was a pro, and I have to give her credit. She didn't try to BS her way through it - she just said that this happens occasionally, apologized, and fixed the problem, including completely reloading everything, plus working with me for an hour on some things that I didn't understand. I've had no problems since then.

New User
Cerberus122
0 Kudos

Thank you all for the advice. 

I had decided yesterday evening that I had to mail my Nook back to the factory, emailed B&N for info on how to do that, and removed my SD card (I think that's what its called) and was monkeying around with it when it started up.  Like above, I had to start fresh and download everything, but that was no big deal to not having my Nook HD+ for a few weeks.