Contributor
Chugsy
0 Kudos

Nook HD - intermittant Wi-Fi Error

Hi All,

I've had my Nook HD for little over a week now and in all respects it's a great little device - except for it's wireless.  Mine keeps losing it's connection to the internet and I get a message stating "WiFi error".  In all cases disabling and re-enabling brings back connectivity.  Sometimes I can go hours without trouble, sometimes I have to turn WiFi back on every 5 minutes.  Frustrating if I want to watch streaming videos.

I've tinkered with my router although I don't want to use static IPs - instead, my router has the option to designate a specific address against the MAC address of the device which I have done - to no difference.  I've tried WiFi lock programs but they are targetted more at maintaining a connection when the screen is off.  Also performed a hard reset.

Anyone else experienced this?  I might just have a duffer - looking into sending it back but I'd rather not if there are no stocks left to replace mine.  I do enjoy the screen resolution over my Nexus 7!

Cheers,

Chugs

Inspired Contributor
JimSC
0 Kudos

Re: Nook HD - intermittant Wi-Fi Error

I've been getting this recently as well. I never used to get it, so I don't know if it is related to the latest update. For me, turning the wi-fi off and back on has fixed it.

Contributor
Chugsy
0 Kudos

Thanks for the response - can anyone else confirm this is update related?  I would imagine there would be many more topics/posts about this specific fault by now.  

Wordsmith
AlbionRose
0 Kudos

When I had this issue it turned out to be my isp mucking about with its servers.  When they finished 'upgrading the service' the Nook was happy again.  My HD+ seemed much more sensitive to flakey wifi than the rest of my tech.  It may be worth trying your nook out on a different wifi network - maybe B&N store or a friend using a different provider to see if it is your device or your wifi giving you the problems.

Good luck sorting it out.

Wordsmith
PJLLB
0 Kudos

First, it may be a competing WiFi signal on the same channel as the one your router is using.  Get the free app from the Play Store called "WiFi Analyzer" and find a channel that is unused or less used.  Then set your router to that "better" channel.  This might help.

Contributor
Chugsy
0 Kudos

Thanks - I've used that many a time in the past.  Running again I can see I am still well clear of the neighbours channels!!!

Contributor
Chugsy
0 Kudos

Yeah - the Nook is definately more sensitive.  I figured there shouldn't be any reason though given the slew of other Android devices I have (and have had) running, from my crummy China phone to my Nexus 7.  My router is by TP-Link - my second one (an upgrade to wirelss N) and have always worked flawlessly.

Inspired Contributor
Wulfraed

Chugsy wrote:

Thanks - I've used that many a time in the past.  Running again I can see I am still well clear of the neighbours channels!!!

You may not be as clear as you think. The bandwidth of each channel is such that they overlap on each side. The overlap is bad enough that, out of the 11 permitted channels (US) there are only three that stay within the WiFi band without overlap. Something like 3, 6, and 9.

Baron Wulfraed
Contributor
Chugsy
0 Kudos

Well... I say clear but as you mentioned, there is always overlap between neighbours routers so the best anyone can do is avoid overlapping at the peak of the signals.  In this respect I was slap bang between the two APs furthest apart (4 or 5).  Last night I moved the channel to 11 (still not clear of other APs) and switched off wireless N as I don't need it.  Ran a long Youtube playlist for a few hours and it seems to be hanging in there for the time being.  That said, I had some good long stretches of connectivity before but so far so good. 

If you'll indulge me I'll keep posting progress reports!

Cheers,

Chugs

Contributor
Chugsy
0 Kudos

Well it's been almost a week of rock steady connections so it looks like the problem has been cured!  Very happy with my HD - it's supersceded my Nexus for everyday use.  A real bargain for 80 quid!

Thanks to everyone who suggested revisiting WiFi channels - it never made the slightest difference to my troubleshooting in the past and I'm far from being in a channel that's clear but whatever works right?!!!