Distinguished Scribe
NookGardener
0 Kudos

Re: Nook HD+ microSD card

pookiebr74, another question...

When you are accessing these 10,000 books, are you going through MyLibrary\Books? Or are you pulling them up another way?(say through OpenExplorer or calibrecompanion?) Reason asking is there is anothet poster who's library seems to be hanging up at about 7000 books. He/she is going through MyLibrary\Books and gets an error message.

Sidenote: The grey cover thing occurs with sideloaded books & the B&N reader. Have a few ebooks from other sources where the cover is fine; but the majority of the covers are missing. If the covers are important to you, you can run the ebooks through calibre and add the covers. Then export them to your device.

Contributor
Beowulf-IWP

In Calibre under Preferences there is a "Saving to disk" screen. Here there is a "Save template" section. Next to the "Template editor" title is a text box that controls the directory structure of your books. In this text box I entered "{author_sort}/{series}{series_index:0>2s| - | - }{title} - {authors}". This way, when I save to my Books directory, the books are saved as "author\book" instead of calibre's default of "author\title\book". This gives me quicker access to the author's books.

Acutally I also put a directory named "9 Books or More" in the Books directory for prolific authors.

Yes, instead of keeping all my books in the Calibre Library, I select "Save to Disk" and export all my books from Calibre to my own Books directory. The structure of that directory is described above. Next I remove the microSDHC card from the Nook (power off the Nook first). Then I use Windows Explorer (not Internet Explorer) to copy the directory onto the microSDHC card and re-insert the card into the Nook.

I backup my books to a separate internal HDD and to 2 external HDD's using the Goodsync program. If you are using a notebook computer, I suggest buying an external HDD for doing backups both of your books and other important data. You can use the Windows Backup/Restore function to backup either everything (your entire HDD), select directories + the system or just the system. An external HDD has much more capacity and quicker access than DVD's.

I put my ebooks on both my Samsung SG2 and my Nook HD+ (and the Android tablet I used before getting the Nook). Using Cool Reader on both devies provides me with a consistent interface and easy access to all books. No muss, no fuss.

Contributor
pookiebr74
0 Kudos

(When you are accessing these 10,000 books, are you going through MyLibrary\Books?)

Yes I usually go to my library and search for a particular author - my Tablet has the function that allows it to populate a list all the books under an author and once you select one the list of books doesnt "disappear" requiring another search for the same author like it does with the HD+. (one feature of the Tablet I like better than the HD+). All my books show up once they are loading.....the error message Im getting is when Im loading the books from my desktop/Calibre to my nook. The HD+ is the only one that I get an error message for when loading books via Calibre, the Tablet doesnt do this.

Regarding the cover issue, it started happening about the first of the year so thats what made me think it was a B&N thing b/c it seems there was an update about that time. The covers are still there but they are under a grey/green icon - you have to select a book first and open it to have the cover show.

I use Calibre to export all my books and keep track of them after I set the covers/metadata for what I want.

Contributor
Beowulf-IWP
0 Kudos

I never use the Nook library. It's too slow and is very limited in the way it can be configured. And it won't show any format other than epub. Many of my books are mobi and other formats. Nook reader can't handle those.

I use Cool Reader for all formats. It is a far superior reader to Nook or Kindle.

When using calibre, I keep the calibre library empty. I only import and work with a few books at a time. When I am done, I delete them from the calibre library. I also never use calibre to manage the books on my Android devices. It's just too slow, and I avoid any calibre error messages.

Contributor
Beowulf-IWP
0 Kudos

I try to never have more than 200 to 300 books in calibre at one time.

My calibre "Save" Preferences are set, so that the jpg and opf files are not save with the ebook.
Contributor
pookiebr74
0 Kudos

I use Calibre to convert everything to epub and also load to my HD+. Not familiar with Cool Reader.....is it an app you can load to the HD+ and use as an ereader/viewer? Would it be availble thru google play?

May have to look into it.

Contributor
DragonRich
0 Kudos

Viewmont, 

Hard drive and flash memory card manufacturers report memory in factors of 1000. So a 64 GB microSD card has 64,000,000,000 bytes, less memory used for formatting. 

See this FAQ from SanDisk's website: 

http://kb.sandisk.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/8176/kw/gb%20memory%20is

Thanks

Correspondent
yarnmama
0 Kudos

pookiebr74 wrote:

I use Calibre to convert everything to epub and also load to my HD+. Not familiar with Cool Reader.....is it an app you can load to the HD+ and use as an ereader/viewer? Would it be availble thru google play?

May have to look into it.

Yes it is available on Google Play. I have heard it is good. I have no personal experience with it but I do have another recommendation; MoonReader. It is also on Google Play. There is a free version and a paid version. I tried the free version to see how I liked and then upgraded. It is very good and offers syncing with dropbox if you have multiple android devices. I love this feature as it is more reliable than the Nook syncing which only works about half the time for me.