Contributor
pookiebr74

Nook HD+ microSD card

Have a Nook HD+ 32gb and a 32gb microSD memory card. Curious if anyone else has had this problem. Was having difficulty loading books to my SD card - using it as the primary memory for books right now. After much trial and error noticed that the format had been changed when I mounted it to the Nook. Dumped it and reformatted it to a FAT32 format. Reloaded all my books to it without trouble. I use Calibre as my ebook manager BTW. Connected to Calibre last night via USB to load a few new texts and noticed that all the books on my A card - the SD card - were gone......the ones in the Nook primary memory were all intact. Also noted that the format of the SD card had changed to a "generic hierarchy" card. Can anyone give any suggestions on a workaround for this? Would appreciate any help as Im sure its probably simple and I am overlooking it at this point. Also, can you use a 64gb micro card in this Nook? I was under the impression it only supported 32gb at this time.

Thanks in advance.

Correspondent
Wulfraed

Re: Nook HD+ microSD card

One: per the manual, the HD/+ use exFAT when formatting SDHC cards. FAT32 has file size limitations (2 or 4 GB per file depending on signed or unsigned integer); exFAT can work with much larger files. Win7 should understand exFAT but you may need to download a patch from M$ if you are running WinXP.

Two: on the HD/+ the internal memory is mounted as "/sdcard"; real SD cards are mounted as "/ext_sdcard". This can confuse applications that expect "/sdcard" to refer to a removable card.

Baron Wulfraed
Contributor
pookiebr74
0 Kudos

Im running Win7 so I should be good then on that. Thanks for the info..... Was planning on getting a new one as the current one has been used to death and I was half wondering if that was the problem. Saw where alot of people are using 64gb cards and didnt know the Nook HD would take that size card.....had been told by someone at one of the Nook stores that a 32gb was the largest it would take/could handle.

I was going to try this weekend to reload this card once more......do you suggest reformatting it and manually making sure the format is exFAT32 prior to loading it into the Nook or should I format it in the Nook?

Thank you for the help

Pookie

Frequent Contributor
kevinp

When you put the card in the Nook, if it's not in the correct format, it'll usually pop up a message that the SD needs to be formatted. So, basically the Nook will want to format it.

New User
Viewmont
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Greetings dear Forum,

I recently bought a new Nook HD+ with 32gb of internal memory in order to take advantage of B&N's 2013 Mother's Day Nook HD+ discount ($209 for the HD+ with 32gb).

And as others have done before me, I wanted to expand its SD card memory capacity as far as it would allow me.  After researching this topic, I decided to purchase a Kingston, SDCX10, 64gb class 10 microSD card. The reason to specifically buy a Kingston 64gb microSD card is that various people have commented that a Kingston card is more stable than a Sandisk card when it comes to the microSD card formatting options.

Anyway, the microSD card arrived today and after powering down my Nook HD+ (not even sure if this is necessary, but it wouldn't hurt), I inserted the 64gb card.  My Nook HD+ powered up without a hitch and with no apparent microSD card formatting.  My Nook HD+ showed "63.24GB" available (0.41GB used by file formatting), although technically speaking, 63,333,990,400 bytes translate into 58.9GB, -but I digress.

Interestingly, this 64GB microSD card had the "exFAT" formatting, whereas an older Kingston 32GB class 4 microSD card in my possession had the "FAT32" formatting.

Regardless, I am very pleased indeed to report that my new Kingston SDCX 64gb microSD card works flawlessly.  I copied ebooks, movies, music etc. from the 32gb microSD card onto the 64gb card and all works just great!

I purchased the 64gb microSD card via Amazon for $57.99 (free shipping, no tax). The item's p/n is: Kingston Digital 64GB MicroSDXC Class 10 Flash Card (SDCX10/64GB).
Whatever else out there works, Kingston works for me!

New User
Viewmont

I wanted to "edit" one sentence in my previous response, but the B&N system didn't let me (why??).  The sentence I wanted to edit was: "My Nook HD+ showed "63.24GB" available (0.41GB used by file formatting), although technically speaking, 63,333,990,400 bytes translate into 58.9GB, -but I digress."

What I want to change is that although my Nook HD+ shows 63.24GB available for my Kingston 64gb microSD card, my computer on the other hand only "sees" 63,333,990,400 bytes available, for a total of 58.9 GB.

Sorry for the confusion!

Bibliophile
5ivedom
0 Kudos

Viewmont, thanks for sharing details on a card and card size and format that works.

Reader
RandyACook
0 Kudos

Thanks for the info. Very nice you even providing the item's p/n.
Correspondent
crenita
0 Kudos

re the size of card you can use..  saw an extended presentation on TV w represetatives from B&N.. they all said there was no size limit on the sd card.. infact there were talking about  usiing a 64 g card in it to get a total of 96 gigs....   I saw a 64 g card , class 10 on Amazon listed for $50.  not too bad to get that much memory..

Contributor
TomB57
0 Kudos

Hopefully, someone can offer suggestions on my mp4 file difficulties.

My mp4 movie files load and play exactly as expected only to INTERNAL memory.

I can't copy them to the installed SD (64Gb Samsung) - "Cannot copy... "

Copy works OK with the SD in the appropriate computer slot BUT the Nook reports "Cannot play video ..."

No problems with other file types. I've tried other SDs all with the same results.

New User
eclairity
0 Kudos

how big are the files? If its above 4gb, you wouldnt be able to copy them to your microsd if they are formatted in the fat32 file system
Contributor
TomB57
0 Kudos

eclairity wrote:
how big are the files? If its above 4gb, you wouldnt be able to copy them to your microsd if they are formatted in the fat32 file system

File sizes are c.1-2Gb & format is exfat. I can  copy the files to the sd if installed in the pc but not if it's mounted in the Nook. Thanks for the suggestion.

Contributor
pookiebr74

Whether you format or reformat the SD card as exFat or FAT once you insert it into the Nook it will automatically "change" the format of the card to a "generic hierarchial" format which I was told by someone who works for B&N and is fairly Nook experienced, is a similar type storage format. The card seems to be working now the only issue is once I seem to hit a certain number of books it will start showing an error message via Calibre that is a "tmp low memory in line....." even tho the card itself shows 57gbs left......will have to get the exact wording. Most of the ebooks I load are fairly small but there are a few medical texts that are very large and graphic intensive.......

Thanks for all the information

Pookie

Contributor
Beowulf-IWP
0 Kudos

I have a Sandisk 32GB microSDHC card in my HD+ (Firmware 2.1.0) and have more than 10,680 books on it. No problem. The books are in directories by author. No more than about 150 books in any one directory. I use Cool Reader for viewing. I flattened Calibre's "Save to Disk" directory structure. Then I used Windows Explorer (Win7) to copy my Books directory onto the microSDHC card. Note that I let the HD+ format the microSDHC card before I did any copying.

Contributor
Beowulf-IWP
0 Kudos

PS, My largest book is about 58MB.
Contributor
TomB57
0 Kudos

Wellll, I THINK I've discovered my problem after hours of beating my head against the wall.

A handy free program for testing storage media reveals that my SDHCs are COUNTERFIT. Google SOS Fake Flash or h2testw for information I that I wish I'd had a week ago!

Lessons learned:

1. Buy memory from reputable sources

2. Test before using (or certainly at the first indication of problems)

Inspired Wordsmith
yocalif
0 Kudos

Viewmont wrote:

Kingston, SDCX10, 64gb class 10 microSD card. The reason to specifically buy a Kingston 64gb microSD card is that various people have commented that a Kingston card is more stable than a Sandisk card when it comes to the microSD card formatting options.

Viewmont, I am looking for a 32g for my HD, I read the same info you read about Kingston being more reliable than other brands for the HD/HD+ or at least it will work.  However after reading  your post and checking out amazon + a couple of other retailers, there are numerous comments that the transfer rate for Kingston SDCX10 is NOT as advertised, instead of 10mb/sec the numbers are around 6mb/sec. 

Can you test yours or comment please.

Contributor
pookiebr74
0 Kudos

To Beowulf:  Once I get to about 10,000 books is when I get the error message....... The books will still load, including covers, and from what I can tell they are all intact but the error message persists. Can you explain a little about the "flatten to Save Disk" structure you are talking about? What Im understading you to say is you load your books to a card and then install the card to your Nook? Im still trying to learn as much as I can about Calibre and my Nook.

Inspired Wordsmith
yocalif
0 Kudos

pookiebr74 wrote:

To Beowulf:  Once I get to about 10,000 books is when I get the error message.......

Yo pookiebr74

10,000 books?  All on your Nook, are you a voracious reader? 

I have about 6500 books, I keep them on a PC, laptop and DVD disk.  On my HD I have side loaded 4 or 5 of my favorite authors and all their books, in addition I am creating reading lists, i.e. must read classics, authors of fav genre to try, etc, and adding those books.  So far I only have about 150 books.  When I try to add some from my PC library, many do not have covers, so I try to find the appropriate cover and embed it with Calibre.

I haven't figured out a good reason yet to have my entire library on my HD, I would be interested to hear how 10,000 books on your Nook works for you?

Contributor
pookiebr74
0 Kudos

Actually I am a voracious reader, if I have a spare minute I have my nose in a book. I dont have my entire library on my HD but I carry alot of books on it because I work 2-3 jobs at a time and am always on the go. Often I am away from my home for 2-3 days and so I have my HD and charger to kill time between calls. I have everything backed on DVDs and alot of the books are short stories or novelettes not necessarily "War and Peace"..... :smileyhappy: Just something to keep me occupied.

As far as how it works.......*shrug*.........fine for me. Might not be someone elses preferred way but for me it works. Only problems I encountered are the memory error I mentioned above and the grey cover image issue which I am beginning to think is a B&N thing.