Contributor
bfollowell
0 Kudos
Accepted Solution

Nook HD+ not charging

Has anyone had any problems with their Nook HD+ not charging? I last successfully charged mine back over the weekend. It was getting low last night so I plugged it in when I went to bed. When I woke up this morning it was still showing 5% and not charging.

I plugged my Nook Tablet cable into my HD+ transformer and it charges so I know the transformer is good. That narrows the problem down to either the cable or the HD+ itself. The HD+ no longer shows up when I plug it into my computer but that could still be either the HD+ or the connector, though I'd probably lean more towards the cable since my HD+ is acting fine except for not charging.

In the past, whenever the HD+ was really low and I plugged it in to charge, the little LED next to the connector would come on and glow amber, then turn green later, as it charged up to a decent level. Now when I plug it in, the little LED comes on and glows green from the start but no charging is going on.

Any ideas?

Any information on how well warranty/repairs/replacements are handled? I'm assuming that, if it's the cable, they probably won't cover that after four months and I'll just have to purchase another one.

Thanks.

- Byron Followell

Inspired Correspondent
The_Imperfect
0 Kudos

Re: Nook HD+ not charging

The cable should be covered under the warranty.  If you have a store nearby, I would take it in, and they can test with their cables to see whether it's the device or the cable.  If it's the cable, they may have spares, and there ya go.

If it's the device, you may still have to call 1-800-THE-BOOK.  In this case, usually, you can either have them ship a replacement and you send yours back in that box with emailed packing slips, or you can send yours in and wait for them to send you a replacement.  You could ask if your store has a CPO (Certified Pre-Owned), which is standard for warranty replacement after a certain time, but they may still not have those for these models yet.

Contributor
bfollowell
0 Kudos

Thanks for the info. I was planning to go to my local B&N Friday evening so I'll have them help me check it all out then and determine whether it's the HD+ or the cable. I guess I'll go from there.

- Byron

Inspired Correspondent
mrskooshie

I know this sounds simple but was your device on?  It seems really strange that Barnes & Noble had the device made that does not charge while off but I found this out the first week I had the device off and it didn't charge overnight.

mrskooshie
Contributor
bfollowell
0 Kudos

Yes, it was, but, regardless, my device has always charged while off. Strange that yours wouldn't. I've never heard of such a thing but I have charged mine with it completely shut down numerous times. Thanks for the post though.

- Byron

Inspired Correspondent
mrskooshie
0 Kudos

Actually I am not the only one that has reported the HD+ not charging while off.  It is strange that some would charge while off and other not.

This is an excerpt from the FAQ's section:

7. How long does it take to fully charge my NOOK?

It will take about 4-5 hours to fully charge your NOOK using the Power Kit plugged into a wall outlet. Do NOT turn off your NOOK while it is charging; just allow it to go into sleep mode automatically.

Just out of curiosity have you tried to charge it with it on and experiencing the same issue?
mrskooshie
Contributor
bfollowell

You know, think you're right. I guess I should've said, I've had mine turned completely off, plugged it in, and it's been fully charged when I woke up the next morning. Of course, now that I think about it, it's always been in sleep mode when I woke up too.

I got it charging by the way. I really checked out the connector and noticed some white gunk dried in it, probably from packing it back and forth to work in my lunch bag. I found some contact cleaner and cleaned the connector out really well as well as the port on my HD+ and now all is right with th world again.

I had my HD+ completely turned off from its cleaning and, when I plugged it into the charger, the light went amber, then it started to boot up. It does charge though. It just boots itself and then starts to charge. I'm sorry to have doubted you.

- Byron

Inspired Correspondent
mrskooshie
0 Kudos

Awe, that's sweet :smileyhappy:  Glad you got it working, I hate being without mine.

mrskooshie
Bibliophile
5ivedom
0 Kudos

MrsKooshie

I've seen other people too who can't charge when device is off. It's indeed very strange to need to have the device on to charge.

Correspondent
Wulfraed
0 Kudos

Even my first edition will boot up when connected to a charger if it had been in full shutdown. Once booted it can be put in standby by pushing the "power" button.

Same behaviour from my HD+.

Might have something to do with USB protocol -- has to wake up in case it has to negotiate powere draw from a computer.

Baron Wulfraed
Inspired Correspondent
The_Imperfect
0 Kudos

If it has enough power to do so, it turns on when plugged in, then it goes to sleep after a few moments of not being unlocked.  (If it's too low, it stays off until it gets more juice.)  If it is turned off after this, it usually stops charging.

I'm glad you were able to get your nook up and running again!

New User
susanjofrench
0 Kudos

I have had many issues and I am on my 2nd nook, 3rd cable. It is currently off and will not turn back on. Sometimes it will turn it self on after a day or two this time it has been off for a week. Looks like I'll be taking another trip to the B&N store.

Bibliophile
5ivedom
0 Kudos

Best of luck.

Do you leave it plugged in overnight into the wall plug?

How do you charge it?

Do you see the light?

New User
StuartC
0 Kudos

I bought the Nook HD+ in Las Vegas last week before returning home to the UK. The battery died during the flight home. I now find I cannot charge it up. I left the B & N Adapter (the bit that goes into the wallsocket) behind in our place in LV, and have plugged the USB end of the cable into a USB plug that fits UK wall sockets.

the charging light glows green for 5 - 6 seconds, then goes amber for 3 -4 seconds and then goes out, and does not take any charge. Is this a cable problem, or do I need to get a B & N adapter or buy a UK-version official charger? 

Correspondent
Wulfraed

Standard USB provides 500mA (five units of 100mA distributed over four ports). Some charge-only supplies may provide around 1000mA.

Problem: HD/+ wants closer to 2000mA, especially if the LCD is alive. The HD/+ charger output is 2A @ 5.1V -- all fed to one cable.

Baron Wulfraed
Wordsmith
AlbionRose
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

How new is your pc?

Not sure what the output from the new USB3 port on computers is but it may be worth plugging the HD+ into a pc USB3 port if you have one (leaving the screen off) & come back after an hour or so and see if it has taken any charge

Otherwise a new UK charging cable and plug is £25 http://uk.nook.com/search?[s]category_id=1025957&[s]sort=SA - Though it doesn't look like a UK 3 pin in the picture!!

Correspondent
Wulfraed
0 Kudos

USB3 portsalone may not be enough -- though USB3 does up the load limit some.

However, some of the newer systems have Charging Ports (look for a lightning bolt emblem). These provide power when the computer is turned off -- and may provide a higher than normal power level (only with computer off, when on it reverts to normal hub power).

Baron Wulfraed
Bibliophile
5ivedom
0 Kudos

Go to nook.co.uk. Then go to one of the retailers that sell Nook HD+ and HD. Then buy a charger from them.

New User
WaCiel
0 Kudos

Hey Stuart,

I bought mine this week in LasVegas. Had NO problems charging it in my hotel there. Now back home in The Netherlands (Holland). it doesnt charge annymore.. Not even via USB connected via the computer... I'm am so scared that It won't work..

Since you seem to have the exact same problem, I was wondering if you got it to work already??

It woult be great If you could let me know!

Inspired Correspondent
Fat_Old_Guy

The Nook does not charge at all in a PC USB port, that is normal.